Home Ratings & Reviews

Man of War

Anyone willing to share their thoughts and/or opinion about the Man of War.  I recently purchased a box and smoked my first one last night.  Wow, I really enjoyed it! 

OO7

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    oo7:

Anyone willing to share their thoughts and/or opinion about the Man of War.  I recently purchased a box and smoked my first one last night.  Wow, I really enjoyed it! 

OO7

Hey oo7.. First things first... Welcome to the forum. Next things next.. The first one I had was a big let down, taste was awful, burn even worse, I put it down after about 1/4.. Tried another about three months later and it was great. Have not made them a regular in my rotation yet, but would say they seem to be well regarded here by many members.
  • oo7oo7 Posts: 2

Thanks for the input.  I've had that same experience with a few cigars in the past.  I haven't put in my regular rotation yet either, but it may be soon.  Picked up a couple of the Don Pepin My Fathers today.  Smoked one of those? 

OO7

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    oo7:

Thanks for the input.  I've had that same experience with a few cigars in the past.  I haven't put in my regular rotation yet either, but it may be soon.  Picked up a couple of the Don Pepin My Fathers today.  Smoked one of those? 

OO7

Not yet..I haven't really explored all that Pepin has to offer..Although every one I have had has been a pleasant experience.. Especially the JJ. Pepin's " My Father" is a fairly new release, and I will probably get to that one soon.. I do enjoy a nice corojo wrapper every so often..
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    They had so many deals on the Man of War so I picked up quite a few. They were a steal. I am really a Pepin fan, but have not tried "My Father" - want to. :) The flavor is the big thing, but the construction and burn from Pepin is impeccable. That's referring to the one he puts his name on.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    I thought the Man of War was a good smoke, had some nice flavor too it. Burn was good and the draw and amount of smoke was good. Just got one in a bomb the other day, gonna enjoy smoking it when its ready. Thanks again Laker.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I've only had one Man o War, but it was pretty unremarkable. Not bad, but definitely nothing memorable for me. Kinda run of the mill.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I've got 2 coming in a sampler I ordered so I'll let them rest a few months and give them a shot once they come in. Looking forward to it!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've had a few now as well ... they get an ehh on the RRS.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I really liked them, i always have some MOW torpedos in the humi. I think they have a great flavor to them.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Yup, I always have a few in my humi as well. I think the Torpedo's are the best size for flavour overall, but the VERY best one I had was actually a Corona. Since that one stick however the Torpedo's have been consistently better.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I didn't like it. But I'm picky
  • I like them. They aren't my favorite, but I'm glad I got a bunch of them back when ccom was first promoting them.
    I have noticed that letting them sit in the humidor for a while makes them better. I have several that have been in there for a few months and the one I smoked this past weekend was really great. The flavor is more well rounded than when they were fresh from my mailbox. Also, it was really windy and I was pretty careful to turn the stick in my hand regularly, but I was still worried. No need. The Man'o'War burned flush all the way to the nub with only one minor correction needed.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Had my first one this past Sunday and thought it was very good. Will be getting a couple to keep around.
  • The MoW was a big let down for me. Everything from packaging to looks to prelit draw and taste, smells, everything screamed greatness. Unfortunetly, the taste did not live up to those feelings. Maybe they need more rest to develop, maybe they aren't that great, i dunno, but I don't know if i'll be purchasing more any time soon.
    jaytothen:
    The MoW was a big let down for me. Everything from packaging to looks to prelit draw and taste, smells, everything screamed greatness. Unfortunetly, the taste did not live up to those feelings. Maybe they need more rest to develop, maybe they aren't that great, i dunno, but I don't know if i'll be purchasing more any time soon.

The MoW is kind of a regular with me. They are better with at least a couple of months age on 'em.
  • PinkyPinky Posts: 2
    One of my buddies had me try a man of war. It was good but nothing that would knock my socks off. I just finished smoking a Savinelli...WOW what a smoke!
  • PinkyPinky Posts: 2
    Pinky:
    One of my buddies had me try a man of war. It was good but nothing that would knock my socks off. I just finished smoking a Savinelli...WOW what a smoke!
    Big Smile [:D]A man is not a man unless he can enjoy a good smoke
    Pinky:
    Pinky:
    Big Smile [:D]A man is not a man unless he can enjoy a good smoke

Well you are right about that... they don't knock my socks off either, but they sure are a good consistent stick to choose when you can't decide on something "special".
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I really think the MOW is a full body, tasty, rich cigar. They do a lot better with a few months on them but all in all, i have never regretted lighting one up. I even give em to my mooching ass friends and they end up buying a fiver.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I liked the Man 'o' War myself. I've only had the one, but it had a couple-few months time on it and it was good. I'd smoke it again.
  • hughest7hughest7 Posts: 4
    So far I've tried the Man O War Armada, the Man O War Ruination, and the Man O War. Having just finished the Man O War. By far the Armada was my favorite, but all were well constructed with a nice quality wrapper, and all had a nice easy draw and burned perfectly throughout the whole smoke. The Armada and the Ruination both gave completely different experiences through each third of the cigar, and the Man O War was in my opinion better in each of the second two thirds, than the first. I'm a big fan of the whole Man O War line, and have a few of the Virtue yet to try. I'll be sure to review them soon. I've been buying them in the variety pack samplers, as I enjoy changing my flavors night to night, but wouldn't hesitate to buy any of these in a box or a mazo. The Armada, however, would be one of my favorite sticks of all time. Thanks AJ, for another excellent line of cigars!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    hughest7:
    So far I've tried the Man O War Armada, the Man O War Ruination, and the Man O War. Having just finished the Man O War. By far the Armada was my favorite, but all were well constructed with a nice quality wrapper, and all had a nice easy draw and burned perfectly throughout the whole smoke. The Armada and the Ruination both gave completely different experiences through each third of the cigar, and the Man O War was in my opinion better in each of the second two thirds, than the first. I'm a big fan of the whole Man O War line, and have a few of the Virtue yet to try. I'll be sure to review them soon. I've been buying them in the variety pack samplers, as I enjoy changing my flavors night to night, but wouldn't hesitate to buy any of these in a box or a mazo. The Armada, however, would be one of my favorite sticks of all time. Thanks AJ, for another excellent line of cigars!
    Awesome man. From AJ, my favs are the Puro and Virtue.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I love everyone I've tried so far. Cant get enough.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    hughest7:
    I strongly recommend the Puro Authentico as well as the Side Projects - Little Devils. Virtue is decent. It's not my favorite in the line, but by no means is it bad.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • hughest7hughest7 Posts: 4
    I just added the virtue to my Man O War repitoire, and I have to agree it is an excellent stick! I have to say that the entire Man O War line is excellent and has a flavor to satisfy just about everyone. The Armada is still my favorite, but I will certainly pick up a few more Virtue sticks for when I'm in the mood for a conny wrapper. The construction of these cigars is impressive, and I seldomly get a bad draw or a cigar that needs work to burn evenly. I'll have to try the Puro next on your recommendation. I doubt I can go wrong!
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Ruination is a daily smoke for me and I love me the Puro Authentico when I am on the go. Ruination is just fantastic. I like the others also but the aforementioned two.... Yummy
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Ruination is a daily smoke for me and I love me the Puro Authentico when I am on the go. Ruination is just fantastic. I like the others also but the aforementioned two.... Yummy
    I sure hope u get liga privada uf 13 soon.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest I'm just not that into the MOW now the Ruination is another story especially the belicoso. And add a few months in the humi they are fantastic.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Love the ruination and the PA. The side projects are on my list to try.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Love the ruination and the PA. The side projects are on my list to try.
    Me too!!,, i would pass on the phalanx and try the little devil