Home Non Cigar Related

Whatcha watchin?

LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
We've talked hobbies, sports teams, movies, etc. Just curious what TV shows/channels y'all watch? I ask because I'd been getting more and more disgusted with reality TV boom and the lack of good comedies, etc. I was a big Cheers/Seinfeld fan.

So mostly I watch most televised sports, ESPN, Discovery, some A&E and the History Channel. I used to like Lost but got tired of trying to keep up. So really there was no show - at least on the networks - that I had to catch every week. Just recently I stumbled on The Office and think it may be the funniest thing I've seen in a long, long, long time. If you haven't seen it, watch it.

Comments

• I currently don't have access to television, cable or local. When I had DTV I typically watched Discovery and Court TV.
  • StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    I watch sports (football,baseball,basketball and MMA) other then that I watch Family guy, South park and house. If it doesnt fit into those I probably dont watch it as I would prefer to read a book over most of what is on TV.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

Still mourning the loss of the Sopranos HBO series

Whatcha gonna do?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    gmill880:

Still mourning the loss of the Sopranos HBO series

Oh yeah, forgot to say in my original post. I thought Sopranos was OK (started strong and got weaker each season) but I thought The Wire and Deadwood (in that order) were the best dramatic series I've ever seen.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    My main draws are Discovery, History and Cartoon Network. I can be seen tuning in to Fox once a week to watch House and I'll stray over to NBC to watch Medium. Oh and like Stoogee, I watch MMA, mainly UFC since I don't get the channel that airs WEC, but I'll watch any fight unless it is ridiculous.
    Enjoy discovery and history chanels,football-baseball-most boxing although you don't see many good fights anymore on reg tv, financial channels ,comic channels (are they the same?) Showtimes The Brotherhood
    Also read quite a bit
    Also anything with Jim Carey (sp) he cracks me up
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Your tv tastes and mine are the same, Luko. The Wire and Deadwood were the best. In fact, just earlier this evening I bought the complete Deadwood dvds. (Already had The Wire.) And now I watch pretty much the same channels you do, with PBS thrown in. I've seen a lot of House in syndication lately. It's good.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of TV, but when I do watch it's History, Discovery, Tru TV, Sports... stuff like that. The only network show I ever watch is NCIS on CBS. I just like that one for some reason.
    I also watch some of the old sit coms on TBS and Nick at Nite. I watch Family Guy, but usually wait until it comes out and DVD and just buy the season...

Best dramatic series I've ever watched was actually a mini-series. Band of Brothers. One of the best things ever on HBO imho...
    Yea I forgot about Band of Brothers -that was a good series Puro
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    the only series that I have got into watching recently were Dexter and Californication...both on showtime...both great shows for wholly different reasons. One undeniably funny and sickly perverted, and the other dramatic and sinisterly twisted. The nice part is that showtime had the great idea of showing them back to back on Sunday evenings. I'm sad to see that both series are over for the year, but I can guess that at least one, if not both will be back for more!
  • I hate reality TV as well. I've been watching a lot of Hero's, and Nip/Tuck. I'm also a huge Family Guy and Chappelle's Show fan. As far as "reality" TV, I really like Top Chef that's about it. I'm a fan of Invader Zim, Rocco's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, South Park, Drawn Together, The Simpsons. etc...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    first and foremost:

*** Family Guy

now that i got that out of my system...

I like Futurama, Metalocalypse the simpsons, home movies , and im becomming a bigger and bigger fan of Venture Bros

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm really with everyone else on this. I hate reality TV. I'm not sure who all these idiots are that are watching this crap bc it seems to be the cool thing to do to say you hate.

Anyways, I like Law & Order, House, NCIS, Fringe and recently discovered Dexter on Showtime, what a great show, dark but great. I'm going to go buy the first couple seasons. I also watch the military channel, history channel and some hgtv mixed in for good measure.
  • I have netflix and they let you stream movies and tv shows. I spent about a month watching the first 3 seasons of Heroes. I'm eagerly awaiting season 4 in February. I'm also a fan of Boston Legal, House, and HBO's Entourage.
    These Filthy Hands:
    I hate reality TV as well. I've been watching a lot of Hero's, and Nip/Tuck. I'm also a huge Family Guy and Chappelle's Show fan. As far as "reality" TV, I really like Top Chef that's about it. I'm a fan of Invader Zim, Rocco's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, South Park, Drawn Together, The Simpsons. etc...
    Drawn Together. Heh. I used to watch that show. Hilarious. And just so, so wrong.

I like Family Guy and The Simpsons, too, though apparently not enough to remember when they're on and make a point of watching them.
    Glad to hear someone with Urbi's well cultivated tastes loves The Wire and Deadwood, too. I liked Band of Brothers a lot, but it was very good, not great. These two are the best written shows I've ever seen. My wife loves Dexter, but I couldn't get into it. I feel the same way about Simpsons, like it, just not enough to make a point of watching it. I never got Family Guy or South Park, especially the latter.
    Deadwood would be #1, just ahead of The Wire, in my book, if not for the fact that, gosh darn it, my ass is a better actor than Timothy Olyphant. Who cast that guy? But everybody else is terrific, and the writing is downright Shakespearean.

I like BoB a lot. Really compelling characters.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I love House!!! He alsways says what everyone is thinking. After that man vs. wild, survivorman, anything on Discovery, Usually anything on Food, Football, NASCAR and thats about it. Not much time to watch much the tube anymore.

If you guys ever get the chance to watch the Discovery mini-series(or buy it) CARRIER, this is the most raw, uncut, uncensored stright up how it is look at life on an aircraft carrier at sea. All other documentaries about carriers are crap compared to this one. It truly captures the good/bad and ugly of being out there
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Deadwood would be #1, just ahead of The Wire, in my book, if not for the fact that, gosh darn it, my ass is a better actor than Timothy Olyphant. Who cast that guy? But everybody else is terrific, and the writing is downright Shakespearean.

Urbi I agree .. Deadwood was one of the Best Shows on Cable.. The Farnum character had some of the most brilliant dialogue ever...as well as others. HBO on Sunday was great. Sopranos, Deadwood, Oz, ( that was a little rough though)
  • After reading this thread, I started watching Band of Brothers for the upteenth time. It continues to bring a tear to my eye and a feeling of loss to my heart. There isn't anything I've ever seen on film that conveys the comraderie and love that an Army unit experiences in combat. It inspires me to call the guys I used to know and makes me wish I'd never gotten out.
    kaspera79:
    urbino:

Urbi I agree .. Deadwood was one of the Best Shows on Cable.. The Farnum character had some of the most brilliant dialogue ever
    Heh. Yeah, it's interesting how his dialog gets more and more stilted and convoluted as his character gradually comes unglued. That actor always gets interesting roles.
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    urbino:

Urbi I agree .. Deadwood was one of the Best Shows on Cable.. The Farnum character had some of the most brilliant dialogue ever
    Heh. Yeah, it's interesting how his dialog gets more and more stilted and convoluted as his character gradually comes unglued. That actor always gets interesting roles.
    How bout the nasty ass cook who takes abuse from Farum and prays to deer antlers. That guy always cracked me up.
    Ha! Yeah, I'd forgotten about him. And, of course, then there's Wu. Cocksucka!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    My tops are:
    the shield
    sopranos
    family guy
    battlestar galactica
    mythbusters
    the universe
    jurassic fight club

shows that I like:
    Deadwood
    sex and the city
    the unit
    star trek TNG
    there are others.....

Oh and I friggin' hate reality tv, all them shows. I tend to think if shows like american idol and paris's mbbf are in the top 3 slots then that just shows how pathetic this nation is. My god it's such a sham. But I put all of them in that catagory. everyone's got one now, hulk, pam anderson, ozzy (sell out), snoop dog, wish I could get paid hundred of thousands to not act and just be stupid on tv.
    Oh yeah, I like the Unit, too. I think that's David Mamet, right? Guy's good.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    necro thread but I couldn't think of where else to put this.
    Tobacco content: one of the guys is smoking a cob and lighting it with a glowing axe blade he just took out of the kiln....

Forged by craft: the last axes made by eye and muscle, before automation took over

At the dawn of the 20th century, Oakland in Maine was part of New England’s thriving manufacturing economy, and was known as the axe-making capital of the world. But by the 1960s, the rise of mass and foreign production had forced almost a dozen Oakland axe manufacturers to close up shop. Filmed in 1964 by the Maine-based photographer and filmmaker Peter Vogt, Pioneer Axe documents the forging of fine axes at Oakland’s last operating workshop, Emerson & Stevens, just months before it, too, was forced out of business. Shot on 35mm black-and-white film, the short captures each stage of the process as this small factory churns out blades with swift efficiency by melding human and machine labour. With its focus on both the craft and the market undercurrents threatening it, the film examines forces of automation and international trade that remain extremely relevant in the US economy today.

https://aeon.co/videos/forged-by-craft-the-last-axes-made-by-eye-and-muscle-before-automation-took-over

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Expanse