Home Cigar 101

resting low cost sticks.....

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
So I have the Torano Dominicos and some Gran Habano 2002 arriving tomorrow.
I plan on resting these a bit - is there a point of diminishing returns on resting low cost sticks?
Will they be that much better at 6 months than they will be at 1 month?

(Don't think they'll make it a year - my rotation and stock ain't big enough.)

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I don't think either of those two blends will be much different after 6 months as opposed to 1 month. You can rest just about anything for 6 months but after that some of the milder sticks will begin to have their flavors wash out. That's why most people age stronger sticks. It doesn't really have anything to do with purchase cost, it's all about flavors melding together and stronger leaves smoothing out.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that bigharpoon - so I'll start firing these up in July.
    Of course I'll have to try one of each this weekend - just to see how much the rest helps - they will only be 4 days in my humi by then - that's OK..........

• JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    That's good info there, Harpoon. That may well free up a lot of humidor space that gets wasted resting mild sticks! Time to smoke 'em...

JDE
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive found that instead of tasting like dog turds....with a little aging.....cheap sticks taste like well rested dog turds-------Lol, J/K man, I rarely age anything---like to smoke too much.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    IMO nothing will help the Dominico (just me) and the 2002 shouldn't need more than 2 or 3 weeks
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    It depends on the stick, not the price, as previously stated. I find that sticks that initially may have some harshness do well with a little longer to rest. IME, everything else being equal, cheap sticks are slightly more likely to be harsh or "green". Do with that what you will.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Not in the time frames you are talking about. I have smoked some cheap stuff that had 10+ years of age on it that was fantastic though, and I think if you are starting with crappy tobacco, it's still probably going to be crappy tobacco, no matter how long you age it. All depends.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    ... I think if you are starting with crappy tobacco, it's still probably going to be crappy tobacco, no matter how long you age it. All depends.
    i agree with that

save for one instance...

if the tobacco is crappy because they rushed the tobacco through fermentation, or if it spent no time in the aging rooms (during the third fermentation) then there is a decent chance that a dog rocket can become something better. this can be seen a bit in the cuban market. at times these cigars need some time in the humidor because they are rushed out.

there are plenty of mild cigars that can age as well. Just ask alex how that Macanudo vintage 1979 was. (smoked in 2010)

but in general i would still stick to the adage that fuller cigars age better.