Home Cigar 101

Mold/plume ?

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
How can you tell the diff? Is plume a good thing? I've seen it mentioned along with crystals forming is this just from aging?And should you wipe it off if you get it? Seeing as how I only got a 25 count humidor I doubt I'll get the chance to see it but I'm curious.

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    mold is 3D...plume is more like a fine looking powder that can be easily brushed off.

"Long ashes my friends."

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    When in doubt, smoke it out.
    Light 'em up.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup, plume is whitish , 1st time i saw some i freaked then found out and one of the best smokes ive had, mold dark spots grennish/ blackish ive heard, havent ever ran across any yet but i look at all cigars good before i add to my humis
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    jj20030:
    yup, plume is whitish , 1st time i saw some i freaked then found out and one of the best smokes ive had, mold dark spots grennish/ blackish ive heard, havent ever ran across any yet but i look at all cigars good before i add to my humis
    White mold is more common than any other mold on cigars, in my experience. Plume is also farrrr less common than mold. Most people aren't going to ever see plume in their humidor. Most will see mold at some point.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    jj20030:
    White mold is more common than any other mold on cigars, in my experience. Plume is also farrrr less common than mold. Most people aren't going to ever see plume in their humidor. Most will see mold at some point.
    if you are careful you will not see mold.

on that same note, even if you are careful you may not see plume. if you handle your cigars at all, and most of us do, you will not see plume very often at all.

plum can be good, but it does not mean that it WILL be good. plume is just a sign of an aged cigar. even an aged cigar can suck.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Mold is 3D and fluffy; plume is 2D and dusty
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I had a friend who opened up his travel 40ct herf-a-dor today and there was white mold all on his cigars!! There is no way you could mistake that crap!! White and fluffy!
  • mobyallanmobyallan Posts: 69
    Does anyone have a pic of the difference between the two? Feel like that would bring some clarity for me as well.

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Here's a good example of plume:

And one of mold:

Hope that helps!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks . Yeah mold looks bad.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    Here's a good example of plume:

And one of mold:

Hope that helps!
    Excellent Picture!!! Clearly defined difference between the two, I wish we had stickies so this could be one.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Mold for sure on the R&J, I still have my doubts about the second picture. It looks a little to fuzzy for my taste. I may be wrong, I could tell better with the cigar in hand.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So are the sticks still smokeable after mold gets on them or do you got to trash em?
    As I understand it, that's kind of a personal call, but I know that many will go for it if the wrapper is the only thing attacked; maybe try your luck wiping it off. If you see it in the foot, however, you'd do best to throw it away.

My opinion is to just chuck it. Something unsettling about smoking a moldy stick.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    So are the sticks still smokeable after mold gets on them or do you got to trash em?
    Outside mold on the wrapper means you smoke the HELL out of it... You deal with mold all the days of your life, there some in your towel, in your car etc...
    Agreed if it's IN the cigar foot then you have no idea HOW much mold is there, so just get rid of it
    Lasabar:
    Rhamlin:
    Outside mold on the wrapper means you smoke the HELL out of it... You deal with mold all the days of your life, there some in your towel, in your car etc...
    Agreed if it's IN the cigar foot then you have no idea HOW much mold is there, so just get rid of it
    Mold is everywhere. Darn, truth hurts. Back to blissful ignorance I go.