Home Non Cigar Related
Options

"The City That Works"

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
Ahhhh Chicago's beloved motto... "The City That Works". Its always nice to see this motto put to the test.

So, we had a big storm in Chicago. The usual down trees, power lines, light poles etc. Well, in one situation, a tree falls, knocks out some wires and hits a light pole, causing some damage and partially blocks a street. As usual, the first to respond are the police to **** the situation. The proper departments are notified.... Comm Ed, Dept of Forestry and the Dept of Streets and Sanitation.

First to arrive is Comm Ed, surprisingly (they're usually the last to show to anything). They take a look and say, "Well, we can't do nuthin till Forestry shows and gets this tree outta here." Ok.... So, Comm Ed leaves.

Then Forestry shows up and says, "We can't cut down that tree until the pole is secure. Cuz it might fall on us. Streets and San has ta do dat." Ok...... So, Forestry leaves.

Streets and San finally shows and wouldn't cha know it? They say, "We can't do nuthin till da city electrical guys come out and look at dem dere wires."

Wow.

So, low and behold, the city electrician finally shows. We're now 3 hours into this madness.... And he says, "I got good news, bad news and worse news. The good news is, that pole's not goin nowhere, that tree aint goin nowhere. But, in order to get rid of em, the Fire Dept Fire Alarm Division has to come out and disconnect a fire alarm wire without settin off a few dozen fire alarms in the area. They're comin out..... after 8am."

Uh, its 2am.

So, what does the police dept do?

We put up some barricades and orange cones and call it a day.

So, there you have it..... "The City That Works".

And would you believe there's people out there that would actually trust the same types of people to be in charge of their health care?????
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I got a good laugh out of this, ahhh yes government running like a well oiled machine! lolz
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    There is no process that a liberal application of government can't gum up.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    move
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    move
    agreed 100% Texas Oklahoma Louisiana are pretty decent and I believe will be the first to truly consider secession when these cradle to grave government *** gets much further out of hand.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    I got a good laugh out of this, ahhh yes government running like a well oiled machine! lolz
    +1, i like the way you told the story
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    the first to respond are the police to **** the situation.

Can you type a freudian slip? Great story!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hilarious! Back in the '70s I was part of a crew that set up rock quarries, we were setting poles and running a couple of electric lines to a new sand plant. 3 of us working on one side of the road, a crew of 27 setting poles and running a line on the other side of the road. We finished 5 days ahead of them! E-fish-in-sea in gummint.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    You gotta be ****'n me! LOL! That why I like growing up in the country. If a tree fell, we used the tractor to move it out the road. If lines were knocked down, the electric company cut off power, then we moved the tree. It was way simpler that that ordeal. Funny story.
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    move
    I would love nothing more..... believe me.
  • Options
    If you guys want more laughs and silliness on a daily basis, check out this blog: http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried....
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Wing----(sorry to hijack thread here)----They still got Bozo Hot Dogs up there?? I had a f*cking dream about them last night and have been DYING for one today...kinda hard in Tampa, FL however. But holy $hit could I go for a couple of Bozo dogs and a stuffed Giordanos sausage pie.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Ahhhh Chicago's beloved motto... "The City That Works". Its always nice to see this motto put to the test.

So, we had a big storm in Chicago. The usual down trees, power lines, light poles etc. Well, in one situation, a tree falls, knocks out some wires and hits a light pole, causing some damage and partially blocks a street. As usual, the first to respond are the police to **** the situation. The proper departments are notified.... Comm Ed, Dept of Forestry and the Dept of Streets and Sanitation.

First to arrive is Comm Ed, surprisingly (they're usually the last to show to anything). They take a look and say, "Well, we can't do nuthin till Forestry shows and gets this tree outta here." Ok.... So, Comm Ed leaves.

Then Forestry shows up and says, "We can't cut down that tree until the pole is secure. Cuz it might fall on us. Streets and San has ta do dat." Ok...... So, Forestry leaves.

Streets and San finally shows and wouldn't cha know it? They say, "We can't do nuthin till da city electrical guys come out and look at dem dere wires."

Wow.

So, low and behold, the city electrician finally shows. We're now 3 hours into this madness.... And he says, "I got good news, bad news and worse news. The good news is, that pole's not goin nowhere, that tree aint goin nowhere. But, in order to get rid of em, the Fire Dept Fire Alarm Division has to come out and disconnect a fire alarm wire without settin off a few dozen fire alarms in the area. They're comin out..... after 8am."

Uh, its 2am.

So, what does the police dept do?

We put up some barricades and orange cones and call it a day.

So, there you have it..... "The City That Works".

And would you believe there's people out there that would actually trust the same types of people to be in charge of their health care?????
    This kind of thing happens ALLL the time....example- Unions.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Vulchor:
    Hey Wing----(sorry to hijack thread here)----They still got Bozo Hot Dogs up there?? I had a f*cking dream about them last night and have been DYING for one today...kinda hard in Tampa, FL however. But holy $hit could I go for a couple of Bozo dogs and a stuffed Giordanos sausage pie.
    The only Bozos Dogs I've heard of is on the far south side in the suburbs. In Thornton, IL. I live on the North West Side, near O'Hare, so I've never been.....

But Giordano's is one of my favorite deep dish spots.... yum.