Home Cigar 101

Temp...how low is too low? Emergency mini-fridge conversion!

jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
So yesterday when i got home my humi's were at 80! YIKES...so today I thought I'd beat the heat by placing a large box fan to blow right on them! I stacked them right in front of it and even put the cedar dividers between them to ensure air flow around all sides. Today my temp was 85!! And its only June! HOLY CRAP! I turned right around and proceeded to clean out the mini-fridge in the garage. Which brings me to my question...How low is too low on the temp? Say 55? I have placed a digital thermo in there and I have the fridge set to Minimum. There is always talks of how high is too high, but what about the other end...how low is too low? I know there will be some adjustments needed to be made to the fridge for circulation and other bumps along the way, but this is a work in progress to try and keep them in a better temp/humidity.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on what I know about temp/RH, I'd say not to worry about it being too low- 55 degrees isn't anything to be alarmed about. It's when the temp gets above 70 that you need to worry. That's when tobacco beetles can move around looking for a mate and that's when the trouble starts.

As long as your temp is below 70 and your RH is within acceptable limits, you're good to go.

They say 70 is good for your RH but I prefer mine at 65 or as low as 62.

Marty

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    "too low" is both subjective and relative.

relative:
    there are people out there that will deep freeze (-10) every cigar that they get their hands on... for a short time of course. but in relation to that would 50 be to low? what about 48?

Subjective:
    the reason you want to aim for 70 is because this is where cigar age the best. it allows the breaking down of oils at "the right pace" while keeping beetles at bay. if you dont mind it taking a bit longer, by all means, cooler will not hurt.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Will keeping your cigars in a fridge for an extended period of time not rob the humidity from them? Freezing and bringing back up in temp slowly is one thing but any extended period of time in a fridge doesn't sound good to me...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Will keeping your cigars in a fridge for an extended period of time not rob the humidity from them? Freezing and bringing back up in temp slowly is one thing but any extended period of time in a fridge doesn't sound good to me...
    Fridge with a Compressor will dry them out not slowly but UBER QUICKLY! The compressor cools while it sucks moisture out of the air...

If you get a wine fridge that is Thermoelectric it will cool while maintaining moisture levels for it does not use a compressor and thus, would not dry out your cigars at all.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    What i've done is kept my cigars in the humidors to ensure they keep their humidity. I think I'll keep this setting and humidor situation for a couple days to monitor the process. I have put other cigar beads in the fridge to help with the overall rh of the fridge, but the humidors seem to be holding up nicely. With the temps at 85 today, I had visions of beetles running ramped in the boxes! I had to inspect each cigar closely and my wife even had no problem moving the mini-fridge into bedroom. She knows how much money I've spent on cigars and doesn't want to see the money wasted. The fridge doesn't have a digital thermostat to regulate the temp so I'm trying to find that sweet spot on the dial...if there is one. Has anyone tried incorporating a home thermostat in a minifridge. There has to be way to rig something up cheaply. A wine cooler has the capability to regulate so it has to be possible.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    What i've done is kept my cigars in the humidors to ensure they keep their humidity. I think I'll keep this setting and humidor situation for a couple days to monitor the process. I have put other cigar beads in the fridge to help with the overall rh of the fridge, but the humidors seem to be holding up nicely. With the temps at 85 today, I had visions of beetles running ramped in the boxes! I had to inspect each cigar closely and my wife even had no problem moving the mini-fridge into bedroom. She knows how much money I've spent on cigars and doesn't want to see the money wasted. The fridge doesn't have a digital thermostat to regulate the temp so I'm trying to find that sweet spot on the dial...if there is one. Has anyone tried incorporating a home thermostat in a minifridge. There has to be way to rig something up cheaply. A wine cooler has the capability to regulate so it has to be possible.
    If you are worried about the temp you can get a thermometer that plugs into and outlet and then you plug your fridge into the thermometer and then it has a temp gauge that you sneak into the fridge and it regulates temp by turning on and shutting off the power to your fridge as it hits/strays from the temp you decide...

I don't know that they are called off hand, but it's out there for around $60
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Is this a fridge with a compressor or a wine cooler??? Keeping cigars in humidors will not matter if it is a fridge...
    Diamondog:
    Is this a fridge with a compressor or a wine cooler??? Keeping cigars in humidors will not matter if it is a fridge...
    agreed. do you have a basement? its often cooler down there. can you move the humi down stairs.?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Diamondog:
    agreed. do you have a basement? its often cooler down there. can you move the humi down stairs.?
    I don't think basements exist in southern california.
    Russ55:
    kuzi16:
    Diamondog:
    I don't think basements exist in southern california.
    its like bigfoot... every once in a while you hear rumors of one.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    It is a fridge. It has a compressor. I've been searching Craigslist for a cheap wine cooler. I'm going to Mexico for a week soon and I will constantly think about the condition of the cigars if I don't just buy one. We'll turn the a/c off in the house so I know the temp will get warm inside. Its a no brainer...wine cooler it is. Now I just have to find the right size.