Home Ratings & Reviews

Top 5 (actually bottom 5)

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
We always talk about bests----but negative person I tend to be----I like to talk worst sometimes. Anyone wanna do this with me? Worst first----a little better than worst #5

2 lists here and we can discuss, and please post your own.---Bottom 5 Cigar Lines---------and--------Bottom 5 Cigars (other the swishers and the like)

1. Bauza 2. Padilla 3. Gurkha 4. Victor Sinclair 5. Romeo y Julieta-------------Sticks--------1. Sinclair Bamboo, 2. Gurkha Sherpa, 3. Padilla Obsidian, 4. Greycliff G2, 5. Nica Libre

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Vulchor:
    We always talk about bests----but negative person I tend to be----I like to talk worst sometimes. Anyone wanna do this with me? Worst first----a little better than worst #5

2 lists here and we can discuss, and please post your own.---Bottom 5 Cigar Lines---------and--------Bottom 5 Cigars (other the swishers and the like)

1. Bauza 2. Padilla 3. Gurkha 4. Victor Sinclair 5. Romeo y Julieta-------------Sticks--------1. Sinclair Bamboo, 2. Gurkha Sherpa, 3. Padilla Obsidian, 4. Greycliff G2, 5. Nica Libre
    This one is going to take me some time. First I don't like to bad mouth cigars or the makers because NOTHING in this industry is constant and people have such diverse taste, what I absolutely hate others might find to be a favorite, and people are so easily offended sometimes. In other cases a cigar smoked and not enjoyed can turn into a real gem when the stick is properly aged, stored and paired with the right food, drink and people. Going to give it the day to think on it and get back to this one. I like the idea, but it will be more difficult for me then I first thought it would be.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    When I wrote the title-----I thought oh yeah, easy.........Took me like an hour to make the Top 5 lists for myself and still dont even know if they are totally correct. At one time a R.P. 1992 was in my Top 3.....now its probably in the bottom 10. I hear ya Laker
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Bottom 5 sticks:
    1. RP Connecticut - what a horrible piece of crap
    2. Puros Indios Viejo. Like hay and tobacco were blended at the same time
    3. MOW Virtue. It's a mild stick that isn't mild and has no good flavors, just tastes burnt
    4. Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. It's like smoking a belt
    5. Graycliff 1666. like smoking a chocolate covered dog rocket

Bottom 5 brands for me:
    1. Rocky Patel - so many sticks I just don't like, even though there are some good ones in there.
    2. Puros Indios - haven't had one I liked much yet.
    3. Gurkha - they make some wonderful sticks, and a bunch of not so wonderful ones
    4. A. Fernandez. Love the man and most his brands but this was a non-winner for me.
    5. I don't really have a fifth place brand
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I don't think I have enough experience to have 5 brands that I don't like... but I DO have 5 sticks...

Worst Sticks:
    1. DPG Cuban Classic... I've tried 2 and they both have that dirty ashtray aftertaste... no thanks
    2. Ccom Cuban Label... same thing... tried a few and that dirty ashtray taste again... you'll notice a theme here
    3. Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet... same aftertaste... and I'll agree with Dennis on his "tastes like a belt" comment
    4. Nica Libre... I've tried about 5 of these and man, I want to like it but wow... it's like smoking a day old, half burnt campfire log
    5. CAO Gold... I love the CAO Brand but the gold a consistent lack of flavor for me... I've had 3, got half way through each of them and said "whats the point?"... so I put each one out and fired up Diesels to get rid fo the taste
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    robbyras:
    ... so I put each one out and fired up Diesels to get rid fo the taste
    Now that's a good use for a Diesel, haha! I didn't like the Diesel Unlimited much but I've been persuaded to give it another chance.

JDE

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'd say 95% of the cigars I've tried have been average. 4% blew me away, and maybe only 1% were total trash. Now I'm pretty selective. I don't go around smoking Swishers and the like, and I tend to avoid brands that I can be reasonably sure won't impress; Macanudo, for example. I can only think of three cigars that are total and complete trash that I've tried. The Graycliff 1666, the RP Fusion, and the Padilla Obsidian.

*take all those numbers with a grain of salt.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Im with you Russ, almost to the letter man with jiust about everything being average. I also think its funny that alot of the crap listed so far----DPG Cuban Cabinest, Sol Cubano, R.P. Connie, Greycliff 66------I would also agree with totally. Also, save the Ruination, I think AJs stuff is generally the similar tasting and not too impressive at all.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    1 Rocky Patel.
    2 Sol Cubano
    3 Cupido
    4 Victor Sinclair
    5 Drew Estate (infused only)

1. Sol Cubano artisan, absolutely horrid. 2. Sol Cubano artisan. It was so bad it took the top two spots. 3. Any acid cigar, but better than the s.c artisan... 4. 5 Vegas gold. About as interesting as smoking writing paper with a cardboard filler. 5. Rocky Patel conny. Nothing says *yawn* quite as well...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm with doogie on this. I'm going to stew for a while. There is only one brand I can definitively say is garbage without thinking on it, Puros Indios. Pure ****.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    robbyras:
    Worst Sticks:
    1. DPG Cuban Classic... I've tried 2 and they both have that dirty ashtray aftertaste... no thanks
    5. CAO Gold... I love the CAO Brand but the gold a consistent lack of flavor for me... I've had 3, got half way through each of them and said "whats the point?"... so I put each one out and fired up Diesels to get rid fo the taste

Man, palates can be so different, its funny how you picked a stick in my top 5 and my bottom 5. hahaha. I love the DPG CC, and its currently residing as my #5 in my top 5. Can't get enough of them. But then there's the CAO Gold. I 100% agree with you on that one, its TERRIBLE.

allright on to my list.

No brands for me, I just don't think thats really fair. The one thing I will say is that I appreciate brands who are all blended by the same person. It doesn't matter to me if their blended by the brands owner like DPG or EPC, or whether its shopped out, but that one blender still blends everything, like Tatuaje where Pete J shops the blending out to DPG exclusively. I just think that this really creates an identity for the brand because all the cigars within it will share similar qualities/flavors. I appreciate it when a brand has an identity.

I appreciate the brands much less, when they shop out the blending to several different blenders in order to develop different tastes so that they appeal to a larger market. I won't call out any one brand specifically because even those put out some GREAT smokes. But to me, it just feels a little too commercial for such a personnal industry. I'll still relaly like some of their cigars, but I feel like the entire brand is still trying to find out what it wants to be. Just my two cents.

As for specific Cigars, yes, I'm cool with calling them out, because sometimes a cigar just sucks for that particular person.

1. Acid Wafe - Wow worst cigar I've ever had. I know its infused, but wtf with? It actually tasted like skunk and was so bad I couldn't beleive they'd do that to good tobacco on purpose, so I assumed it was a bum stick. So, I fired up a second after throwing the first one away. nope. that was what they we're going for.
    2. CAO Gold - Worst non infused cigar I've ever had. I know its rated highly and I've like other CAO cigars (the Criollo rules if you haven't had it) but this one was a complete miss for me.
    3. Gurkha Cuban Legacy - terrible dirty musty mildew taste to it. I guess this could have been a bum stick, but I just don't care enough to ever retry it.
    4. Isla Del Sol - ok to be fair, this one had really nice flavors, and smelled amazing. but wtf, it was SO sweet I had to toss it after an inch. If they toned it down, this one would actually be nice change up for a sweet morning smoke with some coffee.
    5. Non Ccom house blends - I'm talking cigars with the company name actually as the brand of cigar, not exclusive brands. I'm also talking of both "other" online vendors and from my old B&M. I haven't had them all out there, but almost everyone was either pure trash or even worse fromthe B&M was pure way overpriced trash. These have been so bad that I've been hesitant to try and of Ccoms house lines, despite the good reviews. I have to say, after being a loyal customer for 3-4 years I recently had the Ccom sun grown corona, and was very impressed. The Ccom house blends really are a different type of house blend. They are really impressive when you factor in the price.
  • Just not gotten into AJ's stuff.  Have really enjoyed three MoW Ruination Robustos, but the Belicoso was flat by comparison.  Otherwise, just not diggin' his stuff.  My deal seems to be the one-stop-shop...  Padron, Fuente, Oliva, Litto Gomez, Camacho...  all grow most (sometimes all) of their tobacco.  No hired guns--they are the guns.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    I don't really have a bottom 5 but there are 2 I tried several times ROTT and even with time on them and they are the 1876 Reserve and Pioneer Valley. The only thing that took the taste out of my mouth was siphoning gas.

I am surprised to see the Sol Cubano artisan, Gurkha Sherpa Cafe, Cuban Legacy, Ccom Cuban Label, Nice Libre, CAO Gold and the RP Conn on the 5 worse list. If you have any of these hanging around I will gladly take them off your hands or I might have something of interest to trade for them.

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I am surprised at some of these. Wow! Sol Cubano CC being on this list? I love those. DPG CC? Also great. Padilla as a brand on this list? with their 1932, Dominous, and Miami ? Wow! AJ FERNANDEZ?!?!
    As for me Brands 1) Greycliff (other than the double espesso, every stick I've had has been awful) 2) ACID (is this qualified as a brand? I like drew estates natural stuff, but these suck) 3)Nubs (other than the cain F nub, don't like any of these) 4)Rocky Patel (same story as everyone else) 5) Gurkha (same story as everyone else)
    Sticks? hard to say. Greycliff anything is awful. Regular Cain. Acid Kuba Kuba. RP Connecticut. Anything Gurkha other than the Titan, Centurian, and one of the Micro Batches that I can't remember.