Home Ratings & Reviews

Opus **** Aged 2 Years

Opus ****

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Preflight

Wrapper is very light leather wrapper. Initial pre-light flavors of cinnamon and spicy sweet on the lips Cold draw of tea. Cut Straight, torch to light, the cinnamon is strong almost like Red Hots.

First third:

Strong first few puffs unmistakable opus notes of leather and cedar but with more bite.  I pick up a very oily leather note in the retrohale. Strength is full and bite is strong this is a power ranger. Sweetness on the lips and a bite on the tongue. First hit of coffee comes through.  The aging has come to shine this baby up. One of the more impressive smokes for me this year from my 2yr aged selection.

Second Third:

Power draws back off a notch to a medium full and cinnamon is gone replaced with a smooth coffee with a leather finish. Burn is running flawlessly, ash is tight and a whisper grey. The oily leather finish is there if I hold the retrohale in my sinuses and push which also strengthens the coffee which is reflected as espresso, Beautiful. It vacillates between a cream coffee, leather, and the cinnamon flavor returns. Hitting the sweet spot on this beautiful cigar and all the components come together welcoming the final third.

Final Third:

Time for Band removal. The flavors of leather, creamy coffee, and the cedar returns.There is a slight cumin flavor that peeks into the moment reflected as a smokey flavor. Also an oaky finish similar to the finish of a merlot.

Final thoughts:

This cigar is magical in it's second year.  I  nubbed this one. Burn couldn't be straighter. I have been keeping these at 65% Humidity and 72* degrees which is perfect. The have also been kept in the dark. I open this humidor every so often, may once a month when I'm looking for that special stick. There has been previous **** that frankly I was disappointed in. This one comes from an aged box from 2009 and a superstar. This was IMO the best year for the ****.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    BlueRings:
    This one comes from an aged box from 2009 and a superstar. This was IMO the best year for the ****.
    thats because you have not had the 06...
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    kuzi16:
    BlueRings:
    This one comes from an aged box from 2009 and a superstar. This was IMO the best year for the ****.
    Maybe you should give me one from 06! ;-)
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    kuzi16:
    BlueRings:

Let me know when I can expect delivery. I will gladly compaire them to insure.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i may have one left... you two fight over it while i sit down and smoke it.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    No fighting. It's mine! :-) I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a fight being in this bad shape.

In all seriousness, if you are interested in trading, let me know.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I need to start buying more Opus Xs.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    rwheelwright:
    No fighting. It's mine! :-) I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a fight being in this bad shape.

In all seriousness, if you are interested in trading, let me know.

If we team up we can take him down and take it from him. Then we can split up his stash.