Home Cigar 101

How long should you rest a cigar?

e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
I've been away from home for a couple of days and I had some 5 Vegas Maduros arrive the day I left. I'll be getting back home tomorrow and would like to fire one up, since they haven't even been put into my humidor yet, I'm a little concerned about the condition they will be in. Just looking for some input.

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I would say with a few weeks/a month of aging they should be back to normal....just me though,
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    A few days out of humidifcation they'll be fine to fire one up Mike. They'll need a few weeks to settle but smoking on rott should be fine.I've found that for my tastes that the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro does great with about 3-6 months on it.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    If you got them from ccom or someone that shipped with a humi-pak, I'd think you'd definitely be golden. Still should be okay though
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Smoke the first one immediately. The the others, as they age, and see what differences you find. Absolutely nothing wrong with lighting up a fresh smoke. Don't let the aficionados influence you too much. LOL.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be too worried... I've had a shipment from Fidel that arrived after TWO months! It wasn't humidified but it was wrapped like my whang at a Brothel... They were still spongy and the wrapper wasn't too bad... They will sit for some time and then be MARVELOUS!
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Smoke it whenever the hell you want!
    Light 'em up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    how many days have you been gone? the arrived the day you left and have never seen your humidor so if you have been gone 7 days i would let them rest for 4-6 weeks before lighting one up. if you do so before hand you probably wont hate the cigar and it wont be the totally ruined, but it will probably have some burn issues. there may be a flavor issue but it may not be too bad.
    the rest usually just evens out the cigar after shipping. if it was very even going into the box and it only took 2 days to get there and 2 days till you got back then we are looking at 4 days total and it should be fine.
    ...unless there is a humi pack in there and the temp was above 80 or so for those days you were gone. in that case, i would have to say let em rest.

as with many things in the cigar world, this is very subjective. if you dont care about burn issues at all, this rest period can be non existent. but if you are like me, youll want to put them away for a bit.