Home Cigar 101

Humi packs V's boveda packs?

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which is better? And do you soak the boveda packs like the humi packs or just use them right out of the box?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Which is better?
    i cant really tell you.
    its like comparing a nail and a screw. they both hold two bits of wood together but because they do it in two very different ways they are good for different applications. the boveda packs are better for a longer term storage where you want to keep things in a very precise rH. they will regulate humidity better and more accurately. the humi packs are great for keeping a general humidity in shipping and for adding supplemental humidity to an existing humidor. they arent exact, so they should not be used as your only form of humidity control over long periods of time.
    Rhamlin:
    And do you soak the boveda packs like the humi packs or just use them right out of the box?
    right out of the box.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks brother. I keep hearing beads mentioned but I haven't noticed any beads in ccom's site are they the same thing as the gel? And how are they used? I'm gone for a month at a time with my work sometimes longer, so I need something fairly simple so my wife can take care of it while I'm gone. Like I am now.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Beads are not the same as gel. You generally keep them in some type of container, box, or even bag. You spray them with distilled water every few weeks and they maintain a set humidity rating. In very well sealed environments, like a cooler, you rarely have to add water, ie every couple months.

If I was going to have my wife manage my humidity though I would stick with the boveda packs. There is no simpler humidity device. Take it out of the plastic and put it in the humidor. Replace it in 2 months. Their only downside is the cost, but that is offset by buying them in bulk, and by the lack of hassle, and worry. I use both boveda packs, and beads.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    CCom doesn't sell beads. Get them from Heartfelt Industries.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks for the info guys sounds like the boveda packs are the best way to go.
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭

Heartfelt has free shipping to FPO addresses.

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Make sure you get the right beads... My Aunt heard I wanted beads for Christmas... Well we all found out that year that my Aunt is one freaky biotch!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Boveda Packs for sure .
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    gmill880:
    Boveda Packs for sure .
    HOLY HE11 FELLAS - A GMILL SIGHTING!!! :-D

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    gmill880:
    Boveda Packs for sure .
    HOLY HE11 FELLAS - A GMILL SIGHTING!!! :-D

It's like spotting an almost extinct animal not seen in 10 million years!