Home General Discussion

Well I'm on to phase 2: tupperdor

My 50ct desktop humi is full, I've got some sticks coming in the mail and plan to place another order soon, as well as a wedding coming up in a week that I've heard many rumors about me getting a good deal of cigars (even a rumored opus x). So time to go bigger. I was going to go strait to a cooler but I couldn't find anything I liked at walmart today and I figure I'll wait until I find a decent sale, so for now its tupperdor time.

Picked up a 3 gallon tupperware and a new hygrometer, hitting a b&m tomorrow for some empty boxes and some sort of humidification device and doing my best to filler her up asap. I'm salt testing the hygro right now.

Any recommendations on what to use for humidification would be greatly appreciated, right now in my desktop humi I'm using two jars of gel which are alright, for the tupperdor I was thinking boveda packs.

Also as far as seasoning goes should I treat it like a would a regular humi since I plan on having some cedar cigar boxes in there to hold the cigars, or just throw everything in?

Thank you in advance for all your help, god I love this hobby.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    First of all, congratulations on reaching stage two!!!

Yes, you want the cigars boxes to be acclimated before throwing your cigars in there. Just keep them in the shipping bag with the humi pillow until it's ready and they'll be fine.

Boveda packs have a great reputation but I've never used them so I can't speak about them from experience. Beads are excellent, you can get them from Heartfelt Industries or Conserva-Gel, both work the same and both are high quality. Especially in tupperware or coolers you need something that works both ways, gives off humidity and absorbs humidity. Those seals are so tight and the plastic doesn't breath at all you will over-humidify in no time with something that absorbs humidity.

Check out Amazon for coolers, great prices delivered to your door!
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Sam's club often carries a nice 150qt coller for $70, I believe is the price. They had them at my local Sam's last time I was there..
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week I picked up an Igloo brand 165 qt. at Costco for $90.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've got 4 coolers. In 3 of them I use Boveda packs, and in one I use Conservagel beads.

What I like about the Boveda packs:

One pack is enough to humidify a 44 quart cooler.
    The humidity is rock solid.
    I get at least 3 months out of a pack, sometimes more.
    I never have to fool with water, and sprays.
    The packs take up almost no room.

What I like about the beads:

The humidity is rock solid
    I never have to spend money to replenish them
    Now that I've had them for a while, I haven't had to charge them in a month or so.

If I had to pick one over the other, and I don't, I'd probably go with the packs. I don't care about the cost. The 30 bucks I have to spend once a year is nothing compared to the piece of mind I get from them. That said I love the beads too. My only gripe is they take a bunch of space up, and I have to check on them once a week to make sure they're charged, but neither is a big deal for me. It just comes down to personal preference. Decide what works for you.