Home General Discussion

Dry Boxing

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
What is the procedure for this?  I think I've got some over humidified sticks.  How long do I sit them in the dry box?  Do I just dry box the cigars that I am planning on smoking soon?  Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Dry boxing isn't necessarily for overhumidified sticks... It's what some do to acclimate it to the surrounding Rh in the air... or to dry the wrapper a little bit to help with smoking/burn.

Most, I've read, take a cigar or cigars out of the humi and put them in a dry cigar box with the lid closed for up to a few days...

I've never done this, but I'd think it's mainly to help the burn/smoking... If it's 80% Rh and your humi is 65%, when you start to smoke a cigar out of the humi it'll go crazy and maybe swell/crack due to the swift change and the sudden heat....

But I've never done it
    Lasabar:
    Dry boxing isn't necessarily for overhumidified sticks... It's what some do to acclimate it to the surrounding Rh in the air... or to dry the wrapper a little bit to help with smoking/burn.

Most, I've read, take a cigar or cigars out of the humi and put them in a dry cigar box with the lid closed for up to a few days...

I've never done this, but I'd think it's mainly to help the burn/smoking... If it's 80% Rh and your humi is 65%, when you start to smoke a cigar out of the humi it'll go crazy and maybe swell/crack due to the swift change and the sudden heat....

But I've never done it
    Also, I've heard of this frequently with Cuban cigars... For instance, I try to keep my humi around 65%, but right now during spring my beads are dry and are trying their best to keep the Rh under 70%, now if I put the cigars in a DRY closed cigar box, it would most likely dry the cigar to some degree and some agree that Cubans smoke better at a lower Rh than Non-Cubans.... Again, I've not done this, but other forums speak of this
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Lassy is right, it isn't a way to dry out over-humidified cigars. To do that you need to put them back into your humi and let them rest for a few weeks/months (depending on how wet they are) and let them settle into a normal RH slowly over time.

Dry boxing is for cigars that are already at a nice and stable RH but have a super oily wrapper that doesn't like to burn well. For example, 5 Vegas Relic, PDR Oscuro old blend, GH 2002, etc. What you're trying to do is give the wrapper a little drying out so it'll burn better, not dry out the whole stick.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    It may just be me, but I'm quite a fan of the Relic without dry boxing them. I haven't had any burn issues with them yet.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Thanks all....my situation is this.  I've had to keep them in ziplocks with water pillows over the winter/spring because I couldn't keep my humidity above 60.....when I recently checked one of the bags of cigars the humidity read 75-77.   I have since transferred back to the humidor which is humming along at about 71 now.   I've been getting a little bit of a tougher draw from some and thought maybe they are little moist.   Personally I like them around 68 % humidity usually.   

I'm guessing my best plan of action is just to live with it while they acclimate to the 71 humidity level I currently have them at?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, good idea. The draw is so tight because they are all swelled up with moisture. Let them rest and they'll be fine.
    Yeah, time is the only answer... Slow transitions over time
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Lasabar:
    Lasabar:

But I've never done it
    Also, I've heard of this frequently with Cuban cigars... For instance, I try to keep my humi around 65%, but right now during spring my beads are dry and are trying their best to keep the Rh under 70%, now if I put the cigars in a DRY closed cigar box, it would most likely dry the cigar to some degree and some agree that Cubans smoke better at a lower Rh than Non-Cubans.... Again, I've not done this, but other forums speak of this
    Two "serious" type posts in a row, with nary a one-liner to be found??? Lassie, I didnt think you had it in ya! Are you OK? You ARE OK arent you.... ???

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Lassy is right, it isn't a way to dry out over-humidified cigars. To do that you need to put them back into your humi and let them rest for a few weeks/months (depending on how wet they are) and let them settle into a normal RH slowly over time.

Dry boxing is for cigars that are already at a nice and stable RH but have a super oily wrapper that doesn't like to burn well. For example, 5 Vegas Relic, PDR Oscuro old blend, GH 2002, etc. What you're trying to do is give the wrapper a little drying out so it'll burn better, not dry out the whole stick.
    This is my take on it as well, exactly what I've done in the past, and it has often helped, just as described by bigharpoon.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    Lasabar:
    Lasabar:

But I've never done it
    Two "serious" type posts in a row, with nary a one-liner to be found??? Lassie, I didnt think you had it in ya! Are you OK? You ARE OK arent you.... ???

I don't think he is! I'm afraid, dare I say, that he has quit drinking..........