Home Cigar 101

Wine cooler

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, for those of you experienced with wine coolers, how does this one look:

NewAir 28 Bottle Wine Cooler

Also, about how many pounds of beads should I be looking at, and how much (roughly) does it cost to get spanish cedar shelves made?

Comments

• danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I don't have any help to offer but I must say that is one of the coolest (pun intended) wine coolers I have ever seen.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    On other forums that is the cheapest/best wine fridge that is also the largest one without a compressor, but uses thermoelectric cooling.

I don't need cooling anymore (Central Air) but I have a 4.3cu ft. mini fridge that I use as my aging humi and I have 1-2lb. in it.

The trick is to see if you can make it air tight as possible...
    I know air is good to introduce, but I open mine so much it's no big deal, but because mine is an actual fridge it is almost air tight and thus 1lb. of beads is fine for I have never had to add/subtract any water on the beads for the last 9 months (through winter and summmers) I do have a 12 bottle thermoelectric wine fridge that I also keep singles in that i also do NOT run at all to cool, but since it has a drain hole and side vents I have had to add water about 11 times in the last 9 months and I have the same amount of beads in it as the mini-fridge...

Long story short the wine fridge is awesome, get more beads than you think (2lb at least) and try to plug up most things you see (drain etc.) and as far as shelves, I don't have any, but from what I've seen the cedar shelves cost more than the unit it self... So you make the call
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Hey guys, for those of you experienced with wine coolers, how does this one look:

Also, about how many pounds of beads should I be looking at, and how much (roughly) does it cost to get spanish cedar shelves made?
    http://www.chasidorhumidors.com/ is a good place to start for the shelves & dividers. I haven't purchased anything from them YET but everything I've read about them has been good. They make custom shelves for just about every major make/model wine coolidor on the market.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    Alien, PM on the direct site to save some extra money...
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info everyone, I'm gonna go ahead and order the cooler today. I dunno about the shelves if they are that expensive, I can always just line the current shelves with busted boxes.
    dbeckom:
    alienmisprint:

http://www.chasidorhumidors.com/ is a good place to start for the shelves & dividers. I haven't purchased anything from them YET but everything I've read about them has been good. They make custom shelves for just about every major make/model wine coolidor on the market.
    They have pre-built, slotted Spanish cedar shelves for the NewAir for $17 a pop. Not bad at all.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Nice. I thought about purchasing that a while back, but went with the cooler instead. Yes it will hold the temp better than a cooler was the best thing about it. My only concern with these wine coolers was the warranty on them. If I was to get one and spend money on fixing it up and configuring it for my cigars and it goes out on me after a few months or a year, I'm stuck. That was my main reason.

I'm going to shoot you a pm with some great info on the set up though.
    Got your message, thanks man, I appreciate the info. I was looking at the warranty too, a couple of the customer reviews mentioned calling the manufacturer about issues with their system, and all of them seem to have really positive things to say about their customer service.

My main reason for purchasing this is for Korea. I don't want to risk my cabinet getting busted in shipping there, and I am going to be out in the field for 2 weeks to a month at a time, so I need something that will regulate my cigars' temp unmanned for a while. I plan on dropping in 2 lbs of beads and probably a small fan for circulation, hopefully that will be suficient to keep them good while I am away from them.
    Just ordered it, shipped to my door for $187. Not bad considering I paid like $120 for a 200-ct humidor back when I first got into cigars. This was a much better purchase, lol.
    Well, because FedEx blows, I don't have my cooler yet. I do, however, have my beads in. I understand the best way to place them in the cooler would be in some type of mesh bag (planning on using a nylon stocking), but when do I spray them with the distilled water? Do I just put them in the stocking dry, and then mist them, only on the outside, with the water? Or should I mist them all and then put them in the stocking?
    I mist in the bag... When you get water on the beads sometimes they expand and crack and leave some dust... If you do it in the nylon then you will keep all the dust in the nylon and have no mess.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Lasabar:
    I mist in the bag... When you get water on the beads sometimes they expand and crack and leave some dust... If you do it in the nylon then you will keep all the dust in the nylon and have no mess.
    Lassie yet again another completely serious comment, I'm getting really worried! Drink a 12 pack before you post again!
    Sorry to hear of the shipping woes Tony but it sounds like you scored a great deal on it!
    Yeah, killer deal. I just hate FedEx, they always put a projected date of delivery, then when that daate rolls around, the expected date has mysteriously changed to three or four more days away.
    alienmisprint:
    Yeah, killer deal. I just hate FedEx, they always put a projected date of delivery, then when that daate rolls around, the expected date has mysteriously changed to three or four more days away.
    Yeah FedEx can kiss it, they always suck. I've had stuff shipped through them sit in warehouses for over a week and then go south of me then go north of me then back south and then sit around some more and then come to me. That was a tshirt......ha
    Oh and that thing is beautiful, I love the interior lighting! You gonna do any custom artwork on it?
    ENFIDL:
    Oh and that thing is beautiful, I love the interior lighting! You gonna do any custom artwork on it?
    I don't have any definite plans to, but I will more than likely get bored at some point in Korea and take a brush to it.
    alienmisprint:
    ENFIDL:
    I don't have any definite plans to, but I will more than likely get bored at some point in Korea and take a brush to it.
    Well if you do, pics are a must!