Home Cigar 101

New Smoker - Any Tips - Suggestions and I have 1 Question

Hi guys, ForeverLC here. And let em tell you, had my first Cigar the other day and I was like finding a Pleasure and life that had been waiting for me.

I am reading all i can and trying to get my bearing in the world of Cigars and I am looking forward to any tips or suggestions you guys might have.

I would like to spend around $6 on average, more for special occasions. My research has my eye on the Camacho Corojo Brand.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?brand=231

My question, I see they come in different sizes Cetros, Churchill, ect. Is that just a name for the size, or are they shaped/look different too?

Also, with the Camacho Corojo Ltd.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?brand=351

I see there have different wrappers available. Should I consider these things, are they very important?

Lastly, and tips on Lighters and Cutters? I seen a Video on a "V-Cutter" that claimed to give a perfect cut all the time, is that true?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd help you... But I've been told I'm too serious as of late... So...

WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ForeverLC:
    Hi guys, ForeverLC here. And let em tell you, had my first Cigar the other day and I was like finding a Pleasure and life that had been waiting for me. I am reading all i can and trying to get my bearing in the world of Cigars and I am looking forward to any tips or suggestions you guys might have. I would like to spend around $6 on average, more for special occasions. My research has my eye on the Camacho Corojo Brand. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?brand=231 My question, I see they come in different sizes Cetros, Churchill, ect. Is that just a name for the size, or are they shaped/look different too? Also, with the Camacho Corojo Ltd. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?brand=351 I see there have different wrappers available. Should I consider these things, are they very important? Lastly, and tips on Lighters and Cutters? I seen a Video on a "V-Cutter" that claimed to give a perfect cut all the time, is that true?
    Sorry I have to get this in quick!

Thedifferentnamesarefordifferentsizesandthesizecanaffectthetastealittlebit,sothebestadviceistryANTYHINGandEVERYTHINGyoucantoseewhatyoulike!Also,aVcutisaneasycuttertousebutmostuseapunchoradoubleguillotinetocuttheircigarssoagain,justtryandfindwhatyoupreferandyouwillbefine,ohandpleasedon'ttellENFIDLthatIhelpedyou,he'dbeMAD!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i woulndt start with camacho. you will make yourself sick.

wrappers are very important. to get an idea, read my blending 101 thread in my signature. then ask questions on it.

just know you have opened pandora's box.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Lasabar:
    ForeverLC:
    Hi guys, ForeverLC here. And let em tell you, had my first Cigar the other day and I was like finding a Pleasure and life that had been waiting for me. I am reading all i can and trying to get my bearing in the world of Cigars and I am looking forward to any tips or suggestions you guys might have. I would like to spend around $6 on average, more for special occasions. My research has my eye on the Camacho Corojo Brand. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?brand=231 My question, I see they come in different sizes Cetros, Churchill, ect. Is that just a name for the size, or are they shaped/look different too? Also, with the Camacho Corojo Ltd. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?brand=351 I see there have different wrappers available. Should I consider these things, are they very important? Lastly, and tips on Lighters and Cutters? I seen a Video on a "V-Cutter" that claimed to give a perfect cut all the time, is that true?
    Sorry I have to get this in quick!

Thedifferentnamesarefordifferentsizesandthesizecanaffectthetastealittlebit,sothebestadviceistryANTYHINGandEVERYTHINGyoucantoseewhatyoulike!Also,aVcutisaneasycuttertousebutmostuseapunchoradoubleguillotinetocuttheircigarssoagain,justtryandfindwhatyoupreferandyouwillbefine,ohandpleasedon'ttellENFIDLthatIhelpedyou,he'dbeMAD!
    Uh huh I see how it is Lassie. Nice wakka wakka wakka though! and what did I say?! You clearly aren't drunk yet, get back to the bottle and report back when you are!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to cigars and to the forum! I'd suggest getting a CCOM House Blend sampler. You can try different wrappers without dropping a lot of coin on them. If you contact one of the reps, Tim tblythe@cigar.com or Kelly kgraffin@cigar.com or any of them for that fact those are the 2 off the top of my mind, and tell them you are new and looking to try different stuff they will put together an awesome sampler for you. I've heard nothing but good thing but great things about V-Cutters!
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I'd help you... But I've been told I'm too serious as of late... So...

WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA!
    Sir, because of you I think I just pissed myself I was laughing so hard.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    Welcome to cigars and to the forum! I'd suggest getting a CCOM House Blend sampler. You can try different wrappers without dropping a lot of coin on them. If you contact one of the reps, Tim tblythe@cigar.com or Kelly kgraffin@cigar.com or any of them for that fact those are the 2 off the top of my mind, and tell them you are new and looking to try different stuff they will put together an awesome sampler for you. I've heard nothing but good thing but great things about V-Cutters!
    +1 I have had several house blends and as kinda a newbie too, it was really nice to not spend a whole lot on cigars and yet still be able to determine what best suits my palate.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    You'll find:

1: Your palate changes and you'll like to smoke different stuff.

2: The entity known a Lasabar should not be fed after midnight.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    beatnic:
    You'll find:

+1 to all of this

As for cutters - it's total preference. Basically, there are 3 ways to cut a cigar - straight cut, V-cut, and punch. Punch and to a lesser extent v-cut can sometimes accumulate tar at the end of the cigar which will taste bitter, but most of the time it'll be fine. Personally I prefer a straight cut, for the simple reason "that's just how I was taught and always done it" - really nothing else other than personal preference

Also - read kuzi's signature and click the links - you've really opened pandora's box with cigars. Wrapper makes a HUGE difference - wrappers account for about 60% of a cigars taste, so it's a big deal what kind of wrapper it is and the size of the cigar.

Lastly, enjoy!! The best thing about this hobby is trying new cigars - I've been surprised by how much I like sticks I was certain I'd hate, and vice versa - experiment, play around, and try a bunch of sampler (Ccom sampler is a good deal for good sticks).

EDIT - Don't be afraid to try strong or mild cigars - lots of us here go back and forth between them depending on how we're feeling; sometimes I'm in the mood for a mild smoke with a nice light, mild wrapper, other times I want a powerhouse, and still other times I just want to chill with a sweeter stick like a maduro. There isn't any "one-type" of wrapper you'll like - some cigars taste better to some people in one wrapper than another; I can't stand Padron natural wrappers, but I really like them in a maduro - all personal preference. Enjoy!!

EDIT2 - damn, didn't mean to write a short story

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    beatnic:
    You'll find:

+1 to all of this

As for cutters - it's total preference. Basically, there are 3 ways to cut a cigar - straight cut, V-cut, and punch. Punch and to a lesser extent can sometimes accumulate tar at the end of the cigar which will taste bitter, but most of the time it'll be fine. Personally I prefer a straight cut, for the simple reason "that's just how I was taught and always done it" - really nothing else other than personal preference

Also - read kuzi's signature and click the links - you've really opened pandora's box with cigars. Wrapper makes a HUGE difference - wrappers account for about 60% of a cigars taste, so it's a big deal what kind of wrapper it is and the size of the cigar.

Lastly, enjoy!! The best thing about this hobby is trying new cigars - I've been surprised by how much I like sticks I was certain I'd hate, and vice versa - experiment, play around, and try a bunch of sampler (Ccom sampler is a good deal for good sticks).

EDIT - Don't be afraid to try strong or mild cigars - lots of us here go back and forth between them depending on how we're feeling; sometimes I'm in the mood for a mild smoke with a nice light, mild wrapper, other times I want a powerhouse, and still other times I just want to chill with a sweeter stick like a maduro. There isn't any "one-type" of wrapper you'll like - some cigars taste better to some people in one wrapper than another; I can't stand Padron natural wrappers, but I really like them in a maduro - all personal preference. Enjoy!!

EDIT2 - damn, didn't mean to write a short story

All good advice. I didn't see your "does size matter" question answered, so, the answer is: "yes". Length and ring gauge can change the burn qualities, and therefore the taste. As with wrappers, it's a matter of personal preference.
    Also, short stories are common here, and usually forgiven. :)
    Oh, and welcome to you, get a bigger humidor than you think you need, and a second jobl
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ForeverLCForeverLC Posts: 2
    Wow, you guys are awesome, I knew this would be fun. Thx for all the support and all the info, I will take my time, read this post over and over and try things out.

I'm sure your all awesome people and I look forward to reading more of your post and enjoying cigars together, thank you.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    ForeverLC:
    Wow, you guys are awesome, I knew this would be fun. Thx for all the support and all the info, I will take my time, read this post over and over and try things out. I'm sure your all awesome people and I look forward to reading more of your post and enjoying cigars together, thank you.
    +1 on this....take you time, read, read, read, read some more, as there is so much to take in and learn on all the different branches of this forum....oh by the way, Welcome!
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Go ahead and buy a big cooler now. You don't know why you need a cooler right now but trust me a month from now you'll be glad you got one.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    As Kuzi mentioned, the first thing I thought of was NOT CAMACHO.. They are great cigars, I love them, ( been smoking 17 years) but not for the novice. Different wrappers offer different taste, you will find your favorites through sampling different sizes, wrappers and labels. I used a Bic for many years, and still do often. A 100 dollar lighter does not make you cigar taste better, just don't use a Zippo fluid lighter.. That does make your cigar taste worse. Cutters, If I dont have my guillotine cutter with me, I pinch and have, at times bit the end. I am sure I enjoyed it all the same.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Just buy the biggest humidor you can afford and buy/smoke as much as you can! That should save you some time
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. First you want to get a good humi, bigger is better, and start to season it. Once your humi is ready then order some samplers, I started with some mild and bold sampler packs. Ccom house blend sampler is a good suggestion too. These guys on this forum will take care of you. So many cigars, so little time, have fun.