Home General Discussion

Suggested Improvements to the Forum

dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
After reading Tim's post in the "Tim/Alex/etc...The full bodied sampler..." thread i went ahead and started this thread as Tim suggested. In the short time I've been on here I've noticed a few things that I'd like to see improved with the forum.

Timb:
"Just to clarify, Jim has been an employee of Cigar.com for a long time.  Started on the phones, but quickly worked his way into our marketing department.  He'll be helping out from time to time on here when he can. We're a small group of employees who focus first and foremost on customer service.  We have a lot of customers, so frankly we have our hand's full!  We look at you guys as our street team of sorts, and we like to keep this forum independent and self governed.  Just like our forefathers would have wanted it: for the people, by the people.  We trust you guys, you're all adults (well except for Rich W) and we'd rather let you enjoy the freedoms of a small, close knit forum without the constant surveillance or meddling of big brother.  Sure we'll butt in now and then, but really - this is yours.  Why don't you guys start a thread of suggested improvments to the forum?  That would be a great way to centralize your suggestions and we can slowly (very slowly) start working on some of it.  What say you? Thanks for being here,  Timb"

Ask and ye shall receive...

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to have an easier way of adding links and pictures.

Also being able to put in new paragraphs/line breaks without typing in the "br>" everytime.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, being able to just use the space bar would be alot cooler.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    The br> thing rates at the top of my list.
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Is that how you guys do that? br> cool
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I think we should improve how at 2AM the font in the forums changes to a blurry one...

And sometimes the forums have a mind erasing feature that when I wake up the next morning I don't remember some of the posts that I put on here...

Those would be good enhancements
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Naked women as everyone's avatars. That is all.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love it if there was some sort of notification or pop up when you get a new pm

+1 on the thing!!!

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Some kind of alert when you have a PM would be good too...
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Honestly, all new software, maybe one that uses phpbb interface, since most people can handle [img] type tags, rather than the html required right now. phpbb would also allow things like Youtube embedding, etc. to function.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Naked women as everyone's avatars. That is all.
    I like your thinking, but the warden wouldn't allow me on here anymore
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    docbp87:
    Honestly, all new software, maybe one that uses phpbb interface, since most people can handle [img] type tags, rather than the html required right now. phpbb would also allow things like Youtube embedding, etc. to function.
    +1
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    t_evan50:
    docbp87:
    +1
    +Chat nuff said.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you do know that if we get new software then all of our posts are gone on a permanent basis. and all of out post counts get reste to zero. this means that i wont have a 10K post contest any time soon.

i know it may be a bit selfish, but i have put a ton of time and posts into this forum and i would hate to lose them all.... especially in my catalog. so i lose everything that i have put hard work into so that you guys dont have to type out a line break in HTML?
    that kinda sucks.

this forum DOES need one sticky. that would be the thread about how to format your post. that thread has everything you need.

in most of the forums out there, entering a picture into the post is exactly the same as entering one here. if you cant figure it out now (even after the "formatting your posts" thread) then you wont figure it out with new software either.

the PM alert would be cool, but the fact of the matter is, i check it every time i log in. its the first thing i do. it takes all of 3 seconds to check that manually.

my last point is one i have made before...
    the HTML seems to keep the riff raff out. the people that are not here to be a part of the community will not take the time to figure out how to make the forum work correctly. those who want to stay and contribute do so and learn the four key strokes it takes to make a line break.

HTML is not that hard.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    you do know that if we get new software then all of our posts are gone on a permanent basis. and all of out post counts get reste to zero. this means that i wont have a 10K post contest any time soon.

i know it may be a bit selfish, but i have put a ton of time and posts into this forum and i would hate to lose them all.... especially in my catalog. so i lose everything that i have put hard work into so that you guys dont have to type out a line break in HTML?
    that kinda sucks.

this forum DOES need one sticky. that would be the thread about how to format your post. that thread has everything you need.

in most of the forums out there, entering a picture into the post is exactly the same as entering one here. if you cant figure it out now (even after the "formatting your posts" thread) then you wont figure it out with new software either.

the PM alert would be cool, but the fact of the matter is, i check it every time i log in. its the first thing i do. it takes all of 3 seconds to check that manually.

the HTML seems to keep the riff raff out. the people that are not here to be a part of the community will not take the time to figure out how to make the forum work correctly. those who want to stay and contribute do so and learn the four key strokes it takes to make a line break.

HTML is not that hard.
    +1 I was thinking the exact same things Kuz....and I would hate to have to wait 6 months for you to get back to 10k posts! ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

that kinda sucks.

HTML is not that hard.
    I agree, I don't mind the software too much and certainly don't want to lose all the posts in the forum. That would be like the burning of the library at Alexandria.

I'm not sure what is possible with the software we have now but I'd like a little icon next to the threads I've posted in. Sometimes it's hard to remember which threads I've written something in and I forget to go back and follow-up or read additional posts.

It's pretty cool how everyone's suggestions are just for the formatting of the forum itself and not any real problems that exist on here or with Ccom.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the one hand, it would be too bad for Kuzi to lose all he says he'll lose but, hey, life goes on, ya know?

On the other hand, there are a couple things to ponder. First, with all the magical, hot-damn hooraw going on in the world of IT, there's bound to be some way for him to save/copy/move the most important of his postings to the new, improved version of the forum.

Secondly, think of the number of BOTL's who are unhappy with the current setup. Think how happy they'll be to be able to copy and paste a photo without first having to upload it to PhotoBucket or some similar site so as to be able to obtain a URL for the photo. "Four keystrokes" my butt.

For my part, I'm all for making the changes mentioned above by a bunch of the brothers. Just MHO.

Marty

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Get rid of the curse censor, please
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    You guys don't have to argue about this ... you know the guys at Ccom are way to busy smoking to change the forum.
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I'd love an app to get this forum on my iphone, i'm a member of a couple other non cigar related forums that have said app and it's great when I'm bored at work and don't have access to a computer.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    danielruas:
    I'd love an app to get this forum on my iphone, i'm a member of a couple other non cigar related forums that have said app and it's great when I'm bored at work and don't have access to a computer.
    MAJOR!!!! Surfing the forums on an iAnything (minus iMac) sucks!

• wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    danielruas:
    It's called safari. Using it right now;)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1

Marty

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

that kinda sucks.

HTML is not that hard.
    Yea, I'm kind with these guys on this deal. To wipe everything out just because a few people can't put in a line break or two is kinda stupid.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    kuzi16:

that kinda sucks.

HTML is not that hard.
    I agree, I don't mind the software too much and certainly don't want to lose all the posts in the forum. That would be like the burning of the library at Alexandria.

I'm not sure what is possible with the software we have now but I'd like a little icon next to the threads I've posted in. Sometimes it's hard to remember which threads I've written something in and I forget to go back and follow-up or read additional posts.

It's pretty cool how everyone's suggestions are just for the formatting of the forum itself and not any real problems that exist on here or with Ccom.

I'm in agreement with these guys. The forum is functioning just fine as it is...a major overhaul of the software is not what we need. A few tweaks here and there, and a sticky on how to format your post would do it for me.

This forum is a priceless library of knowledge for newbies and vets alike, and for us to even consider making a major overhaul that would wipe out this wealth of information is insane!

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    100th POST CONTEST!!!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Hey Lassie, Have you hosted any contests? Were they smelly?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Sticky a few threads. Move the word game thread to off topic. That's about it. It's a good recipe. No need to mess with it.
    So why would everything be lost? There are plenty of ways of archiving the content of website.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Think how happy they'll be to be able to copy and paste a photo without first having to upload it to PhotoBucket or some similar site so as to be able to obtain a URL for the photo. "Four keystrokes" my butt.
    ok... type in phototbucket.com
    click on "upload now"
    click on "select photos and videos"
    select photo from the window that pops up on your computer automatically
    click "save and continue to my album"
    the picture you just uploaded will be the first one in your album
    when you put your mouse over the pic, it will "pop out" with a few options. the bottom one is "IMG code" click on that. it will automatically copy it. all you have to do then is hit
    ctrl+v

and there you go... you have a picture. even with typing out the instructions, and finding a pic to download on to my computer that took under 3 minutes.
    yes, that is more than 3 keystrokes. i get that. but how convenient does it have to be? a good amount of that is how almost all other forums work. its still annoying. to get a line break you can hit <br> and get it.
    if you are like me, you will do that early in your session on your computer, highlight it, copy it (ctrl+c) and then just hit "ctrl+v" to enter a line break every time you need it. it is actually incorporated into my life so much that when i type at work i will often find my self hitting "ctrl+v" to get my line break.

so in a way i see your point, it IS more than 4 key strokes to get a picture, but that is how it works on almost every other forum. however for a line break it is 7 strokes once (<br>, highlight, Ctrl+c) and then TWO key strokes once. iduno....

as said before, i dont wanna lose all my posts, and all the info on the forum. i dont wanna lose everything awesome that is already here. if there was a way to keep the post count and convert everything over without losing a single bit of amazing info... well then i may be ok with it.

im just sayin.
    Post counts are the most obnoxious numbers included in board softwares, The best board's I've ever participated in, or administrated over have had post counts disabled, so that the urge to post crap, or "Yeah!" just to get that plus 1 post, while ultimately doing nothing but clogging the forum with inane bull-ish, isn't there. It works too. The quality of content increases, when the guys who only care about their persona, and ability to post in EVERY LAST **** MuTHERFACKING Intro thread, or on a cigar board "How to set up my humi", "cello x no cello" type *** post, which should alreasy, on a legitimately softwared forum, have stick topics addressing these issues to great end without turning the subforum into a swamp of mud and dead topics to drag one's feet through to find something worth reading.