Home General Discussion

Buying Spanish Cedar/need advice - Updated with pics of trays

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Well, I have some wineadors up and running, and now I need shelving - just wondering if anyone who does this kind of thing has any websites they use. I don't need much, just enough to make 3-6 slatted drawers that are 2-6 inches deep to hold all my singles

Comments

• wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Surely you have a wood craft in tampa. They typically have spanish cedar bro.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    as a warning though they also have some of the coolest *** ever so walk fast to protect your wallet lol.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Dbeckon turned me on to this site: http://www.chasidorhumidors.com They have a bunch of shelves and drawers already made for alot of models of wine coolers.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    http://www.woodprojections.com/walk-in humidors.htm

Wood Projections out of Miami (I think) will sell you custom size pieces. I'm about to order two 2'x1' pieces to make two of the three shelves for my wine cooler. Each piece of wood will cost $10 and shipping is $18 so its $38 to my door. I might go ahead and throw in the last piece of wood and make it $48 for all the wood I need. Spanish Cedar is hard to find but this place supplies sheets of it to B&M's or customers building walk-in humidors. I spent all day on the phone trying to find the cuts I need. They'll do it and ship it. Def worth a call!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Much appreciated guys - the cost of buying pre-made shelves is just too high IMO; would cost too much to buy all I want, so I'm probably gonna sit down with a saw and a ruler and find out how handy I really am. Thanks again for the links Smile [:)]
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Much appreciated guys - the cost of buying pre-made shelves is just too high IMO; would cost too much to buy all I want, so I'm probably gonna sit down with a saw and a ruler and find out how handy I really am. Thanks again for the links Smile [:)]
    **** them up and then having to buy more material to try again will cost you more. Guaranteed.
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    **** them up and then having to buy more material to try again will cost you more. Guaranteed.
    Measure twice, cut once Smile [:)] I like to work with my hands anyway; it'll be fun even if I screw up
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    Measure twice, cut once Smile [:)] I like to work with my hands anyway; it'll be fun even if I screw up
    "I don't understand... I've cut it 3 times and It's still too short!"
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    Cab, there is definetly times when a professional should do the work but so many times in life, I find anyways, that there is great enjoyment to be found in learning something new and doing it yourself.

Never would I do something myself that I can't afford to screw up but its like working on my cars I have a greater understanding of them and feel better about it when I do take them to a mechanic because I've done much of the work myself and know them well.

If he fails at making his own drawers at least he will have gained the knowledge of what really goes into it and will be less adverse to paying the money for a pro to do it AND will be able to hold an intelligent conversation about what he wants. JMO
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    Cab, there is definetly times when a professional should do the work but so many times in life, I find anyways, that there is great enjoyment to be found in learning something new and doing it yourself.

Never would I do something myself that I can't afford to screw up but its like working on my cars I have a greater understanding of them and feel better about it when I do take them to a mechanic because I've done much of the work myself and know them well.

If he fails at making his own drawers at least he will have gained the knowledge of what really goes into it and will be less adverse to paying the money for a pro to do it AND will be able to hold an intelligent conversation about what he wants. JMO
    Yea, that's an old carpenter joke, lol.
    cabinetmaker:
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:

Sounds like you need to send that boy out to the truck to grab your board stretcher!
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:

Sounds like you need to send that boy out to the truck to grab your board stretcher!
    Nah, we'll just use the 20' rule. If you can't spot it from 20', it'll pass... All kidding aside, I used to work for a guy who actually said that. Oh, let's not forget "the painter will fix it"
    cabinetmaker:
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:

Nah, we'll just use the 20' rule. If you can't spot it from 20', it'll pass... All kidding aside, I used to work for a guy who actually said that. Oh, let's not forget "the painter will fix it"
    I worked for a guy that believed caulk could fix anything. A 3 inch gap, caulk it.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I framed houses before the Marine Corps and one time another worker framed out a wall with a window incorrectly and he said, "You can't see it from my house!" I was shocked that he would say something like that! If its a little off, yea, but the whole thing built wrong isn't right! I quit shortly after that. Working for shady people only brings trouble.
    Well, it turns out I'm pretty handy

I bought a 8'x5"x1" board of kiln-dried spanish cedar at a local lumber store for around $50 (board was $30, cutting it in half width-wise, then again length-wise, so I had two 8'x3"x0.5" and two 8"x2"x0.5" boards, which was an extra $17), and I now have three, 3-inch deep, drawers to stow my sticks.

Now, they ain't real purty, but they each measure roughly 12"x13.5" and hold around 100 sticks each. Big Smile [:D] I plan to buy another board and make 3 more drawers tomorrow, so all in all, it'll cost me about $100 to make 6 drawers, each of which holds about 100 robusto's or 80-something churchills.

If I had hired someone else to make these, I'd be waiting a few weeks, and probably paying somewhere between $150 and $200
    What's that old saying?? Oh yea, pictures or it didn't happen :p....
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    madurofan:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:
    cabinetmaker:
    xmacro:

I worked for a guy that believed caulk could fix anything. A 3 inch gap, caulk it.
    I inspected new train cars for 12 years...many times I caught paint shop guys using a bead of caulk where I had marked a missing weld...and caulking large gaps, then painting over it! For me, caulk was the enemy!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    cabinetmaker:
    What's that old saying?? Oh yea, pictures or it didn't happen :p....
    haha! Took awhile to figure out how to send pics from my phone to my computer, but here ya go.

When it's all done, I'll have 5 boxes that are 3-inches deep, and one that's 2-inches deep. Each one is made of Spanish Cedar that's 3/8" thick, and measures 12"x14". The slats on the bottom double as rails that hold the boxes in the wine cooler, and measure 14 6/16" long.

It takes a few days for the cedar to season, so every time I create a new box, I need to leave it empty for a few days, and just keep the sticks in some ziplock bags until the trays are seasoned:

Basic Box:

Box bottom:

The 3 built so far (I intend to sand off the pen marks eventually; not a priority right now):

Pic for size comparison; that's a 5 Vegas Classic Box

Proof is in the pudding; this is a box of 25 Joyo de Nicaragua Dark Corojo Antano, 25 La Glorida Cubana Series N, 25 Diesel Unlimited d5, and 25 Diesel Unlimited d7 - 100 cigars total. The way I figure it, I'll be able to fit as many, if not more cigars in my wineador, if I use trays to store the cigars than if I play box-tetris.

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    That is AWESOME man! Nice job, and thats some SERIOUS storage!!!