Home Non Cigar Related

MMA Junkies in here

ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
I figured we needed a thread for all things MMA for those of us on here who are MMA Junkies! That being said:

Soooooooooo Nate Marquardt failed his medical screening for his main event fight tomorrow night and has now been CUT by the UFC. Dana confirmed him being cut but nobody is saying why. They just replayed like all his fights and have made such a big deal about him coming down to 170. He's always been a contender in the promotion. I wish somebody would say what happened! Sucks for Rick Story too, potential title shot on the line after taking the fight on short notice and now this.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm a huge junkie, actually went to a WEC event, but have not kept up as much as I can lately. HAHA, that's great. Never was a big fan of Nate anyway.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    That's awesome, I've never gotten to attend a pro event in person. I always liked Nate. Not a huge fan but I always looked forward to his fights. This must be something big, Joe Lauzon tweeted that Nate's weight was on point, which dispells the top rumor as to what happened, and that he heard what happened but that everybody is waiting to say something until the UFC does.
    MMA Junkie tweets: A Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission rep will address the media regarding Nate Marquardt tomorrow at 4 p.m. ET.

I can't wait to hear what happened!
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    From what I have read it sounds like they will be making some sort of announcement on the versus pre-fight live before the main card tomorrow night. Somewhere I think I even read that it would be Nates people making that announcement, but if he was caught taking something to help cut the weight or caught taking something for other means I can't think why they would let someone from Nate's camp on the show. I can't wait to find out what it is.

ENFIDL posted at the same time I did. I had not seen that yet. Thanks for the find!

Rob
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Well I don't know that I would call myself an MMA junkie...just a regular fan I guess. I have been training Jiu-Jitsu for about 10 years under Relson Gracie so I am a student of the game per se. Sounds like a drug issue to me.
    I think considering the crazy build-up of what's gonna be announced is it's something maybe more serious. Like hiv or some other crazy disease. Dana didn't come out and bash Nate, I feel like if it was drugs or ped's he'd be trashing him pretty badly right now. He's never handled any situation like this with any tact before. It worries me that something could be really bad wrong
    Dan I'm glad to hear you are a fan, next time I am off on a fight night we gotta meet up at Hard Times for the fights and some smokes!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    I think considering the crazy build-up of what's gonna be announced is it's something maybe more serious. Like hiv or some other crazy disease. Dana didn't come out and bash Nate, I feel like if it was drugs or ped's he'd be trashing him pretty badly right now. He's never handled any situation like this with any tact before. It worries me that something could be really bad wrong
    You can't fight with butt cancer
    Looks like Nate did something and then dime dropped on himself, heres a tweet from ranger_up:“@Ranger_Up: Got some info on @NathanMarquardt.  My opinion: he is an honest, stand up guy who is great for the sport. Raw deal. Don't judge w/o facts.”
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I was bummed when I heard the news. But, if Tito Ortiz still has a job, I'm sure Nate will make his way back eventually. And did anybody catch the Strikeforce Challengers on Friday? Ricehouse vs. Couture Jr. was a great fight!
    Dude Love:
    I was bummed when I heard the news. But, if Tito Ortiz still has a job, I'm sure Nate will make his way back eventually. And did anybody catch the Strikeforce Challengers on Friday? Ricehouse vs. Couture Jr. was a great fight!
    I was working and couldn't see it, glad to hear it was a great fight. Lil Couture seems to be developing into a beast! Good point, Tito hasn't won a fight in ohhhhh 5 years now. I really wanna know what happened! lol
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    From Twitter
    UFC
    Dana: "Bc of the laws of the state of PA, Nate is going to have to man up & come out and tell the world why he didn't pass his medicals"
    1 minute ago
    UFC
    Dana said he's all about giving people 2nd chances and Nate is one of those people."So for him to not fight for the UFC anymore, it's bad"
    1 minute ago
    UFC
    if you missed dana on versus - "I'm disgusted with him... he has no business in the UFC."
    Hayblet:
    From Twitter
    UFC
    Dana: "Bc of the laws of the state of PA, Nate is going to have to man up & come out and tell the world why he didn't pass his medicals"
    1 minute ago
    UFC
    Dana said he's all about giving people 2nd chances and Nate is one of those people."So for him to not fight for the UFC anymore, it's bad"
    1 minute ago
    UFC
    if you missed dana on versus - "I'm disgusted with him... he has no business in the UFC."
    OMG I'm at work so I'm missing all of this. Thanks for the update. Man he must have done something BAD!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    My son AND his wife are MMA freaks !!! So , I get to hear about it non-stop when he is over . He has been into martial arts for the past 11 years ( since he was 12 ). Can't get enough of it . I always had a favorite "hold" I would use on him when he was 16-17 years old . It was called the " I have the car keys hold " . He wasn't able to break that hold till he got his own car !!! Damn that was fun !!!
    bahahahahahaha that's hilarious! Gotta put that one in the ol brain housing group for long term storage
    http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/vid-nate-marquardt-makes

So it was no issue with his weight, he weighed 170.8 the day of weigh-ins. PSAC said that he had 6 weeks to resolve this issue so it was ongoing. Sounds like a Dana knee jerk reaction to him being fired. It appears there's nothing majorly wrong with him, which is fantastic news. Never wanna see anybody come down with something bad
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/vid-nate-marquardt-makes

So it was no issue with his weight, he weighed 170.8 the day of weigh-ins. PSAC said that he had 6 weeks to resolve this issue so it was ongoing. Sounds like a Dana knee jerk reaction to him being fired. It appears there's nothing majorly wrong with him, which is fantastic news. Never wanna see anybody come down with something bad
    fixed it...
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    How bout that Kongo KO? He wasn't impressive at all, but that desperation KO sure was something. I feel bad for HD, that fight probably should have been stopped the second time Kongo went down...just because he ended up winning doesn't change my opinion on that. How bout you guys?
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Jesus, I thought Barry was dead there for a second. It was great seeing him come out aggressive as hell, and not tentative like he has before. I just hope he doesn't abondon his new style after getting put out cold like that.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    How bout that Kongo KO? He wasn't impressive at all, but that desperation KO sure was something. I feel bad for HD, that fight probably should have been stopped the second time Kongo went down...just because he ended up winning doesn't change my opinion on that. How bout you guys?
    Sometimes those desperation KO's are the best Wink [;)]
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I was glad to see Charlie Brenneman beat Rick Story. I went to high school with Brenneman and his brother. I was also glad to see both of them at least got to fight since both bouts were scrapped earlier in the week.
    Hayblet:
    j0z3r:
    Sometimes those desperation KO's are the best Wink [;)]
    For sure. A few of my favorites: Goldie mentioned this at least a thousand times during the fight, the Pete Sell Scott Smith fight, in Strikeforce the Melvin Manhoef Robby Lawler fight was a good one too, and another one I thought was quite impressive, though not quite on the desperation level as the aforementioned bouts, was the Rory Markham headkick KO of Brody Farber, that was a classic example of an instant KO. I feel for the guys that get KTFO like that, even though it's part of the job, but man are they impressive to watch.

And on the subject of Nate the Great...if the explanation he gave is the truth, and I have no reason to doubt it despite his tainted test in the past, I think the guy got a raw deal. He's been forthcoming with the commissions, doing what they ask of him and DW acts as though he was slaughtering newborns and drinking the blood. Piss on DW, the man is the definition of hyperbole and his mercurial moods are what I find disgusting, not Nate Marquardt.
    Desperation ko's are amazing! The Lawler one stands out and so does the recent Herman over Einemo. Kongo def destroyed HD with that uppercut. I agree that I hope he doesn't abandon his new found aggressiveness. He was winning until getting caught.

yeah anoth White knee jerk reaction. He's so gd confusing. Nate was in order with what he had been told ny a previous athletic commission and didn't find out about pa's until it was too late. I understand Dana being mad but firing the guy is ridiculous, I hope that Strikeforce snatches him up. They need the talent esp now with Diaz gone.
    Anybody else excited for Tim Kennedy vs Robbie Lawler? I think itll be a great fight. Lawler always brings it and Kennedy is one hella tough guy.
    Lawler Kennedy should be good. My first instinct is to say "poor Tim Kennedy", but then I think back to when Lawler got cold-cocked by Nick Diaz and faceplanted and I remember that anything can, and usually will, happen in a fight with 4 ounce gloves.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Yo Enfid for sure give me a call next time a good fight night is up and you are off work. Would be fun to fire up a few finally.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    im a huge mma fan, i was just wondering who you going for tonight in ufc 132, im going for Cruz, Silva(has to be one of my all time favorite fighters, pure heart) and i think Bader is gonna retire Tito
    UFC 132 Picks (main card):
    Cruz vs Faber: Cruz (this is a very hard fight to pick)
    Silva vs Leben: Silva (he's also one of my all time fav fighters, straight warrior!)
    Ortiz vs Bader: Bader
    Condit vs Kim: Condit
    Wiman vs Sever: Wiman

Solid card that I wish I could see! Oh well I'll read and watch the highlights tomorrow morning
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My choices would be Faber (my favorite fighter)
    Silva ....Ortiz....Condit... and, I don't care..