Home General Discussion

Wood choice...tough decision...

I recently picked up a wine cooler and its set up and running beautifully. Now to build the pull out trays!

Spanish Cedar shipped to my door would cost roughly $65. And it would smell amazing in the cooler! Sometimes you just can't beat Spanish Cedar....sometimes.

Oak bought locally would cost me roughly $15. And I'd have enough to make all the trays with nice dividers and have some Oak left over still! I'd use the extra money saved for nice pullout knobs or handles.

Does type of wood really affect things? Sometimes my reasoning gets to me and I look for excuses else where. Even though Spanish Cedar smells nice, I could build the shelves, add nice hardware and buy a great victory cigar for less than $65! Thoughts?

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I don't know enough about wood to be the best person for this but this is what I do know. Spanish Cedar is used for a couple reasons it is mold resistant, resistant to insects, aborbs moisture well and finally has a nice aroma without being overpowering like american cedar.

Now I don't know for sure but I don't think Oak has many, if any, of those qualities.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    An option though could be to only use spanish cedar for certain parts to keep cost down. Again you'd need a wood workers opinion.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    $65 is about the cost of one box of cigars - and it's a one-time cost/never have to pay it again. I dunno; personally, I've got a cooler and leaning towards buying some SC to make shelves.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jr, in the scheme of things, $65.00 is a relatively low cost for you future investment of $1000's. Ask me, I know. I have spent hundred's of dollars on "cheap" humidification devices that didn't do what I needed them to do. If I would have spent the money the first time I could have bought more cigars.........Spend the money on the Spanish Cedar because in the long run it will virtually pay for itself.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    If I remember right spanish cedar is the choice wood because of it's resistance to mold and such.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Spanish cedar is used for several reasons, don't cut corners for $50, just my thoughts...
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    bandyt09:
    I have spent hundred's of dollars on "cheap" humidification devices that didn't do what I needed them to do. If I would have spent the money the first time I could have bought more cigars
    sigh . . . . me too man. so I agree with you on this one. Not that I've ever built something like this, but sometimes it does make sense to spend the initial $$ and then not have to worry about it.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    So I've decided to go with the Spanish Cedar. I agree that I would be happier in the long run and there will be alot of money passing thru those trays! Just my luck though...I called and they don't sell the size that I'm looking for. I would need two 2' x 1' pieces, 1/4 thick. This stuff is hard to find! There is veneer out there but I'd rather price out some solid Spanish cedar. Anyone got any scoop on who would sell & ship small orders of Spanish Cedar?
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    What model is your cooler? The website I'm ordering my trays from does shelves and drawers for a bunch of different models and the prices are pretty decent.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Oak does not do well in a humid environment. Good decision, check into sp. Cedar plywood. I bet you might save some headache and maybe money.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I was agreeing with this:
    Diamondog:
    Spanish cedar is used for several reasons, don't cut corners for $50, just my thoughts...
    then i learned something from this:
    cabinetmaker:
    Oak does not do well in a humid environment. Good decision, check into sp. Cedar plywood. I bet you might save some headache and maybe money.

seems that you can save some money and get what you want.

best of both worlds.