Home General Discussion

What if I just cut it

Just got some stogies in (Churchills) and was thinking I wish the sticks were just a bit shorter. I generally prefer a Toro. So I thought I could, in a pinch, just snip off an inch. Then I wondered if that might detract from the stogie as it was probably rolled to be smoked AS a Churchill. But I could be wrong with that assumption. Thoughts from the field?

Comments

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    i clip my Armadas in half. I smoke the bottom half right away so it doesnt unravel. Works out great for me
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    There's no harm in that at all.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    If you're just cutting off an inch (which i assume you're going to throw away anyway), why not just smoke it normally and stop with an extra inch left?

...and as I was typing this, I answered my own question -- you (or me or any of us) can't just leave that last inch unsmoked because it is there. Nevermind.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    There is no issue that I can see, just know that it may not be the same experience it would be if you smoked it as a churchill. I know Svenson was telling us that AJ has a specific way of bunching leaves so that the most flavor tips are at the foot. The rest of the cigar build based on smoke passing through it. I'm not saying it won't still be good just not the same IMHO.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    PsychoSJG:
    i clip my Armadas in half. I smoke the bottom half right away so it doesnt unravel. Works out great for me
    I do the same,I cut some of my churchills in half when I want a shorter smoke. Another member brought up a good fact and some cigars are rolled with more or less type of tobacco in the head or foot of a cigar. This is true. I can guess to say that these are the sticks in the middle to higher end of the spectrum. I may be wrong. I have no knowledge as to which ones dont. So the experience will not be what was intended. Who knows it may be even better, or not. Its all up to you.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    You're ok. I've cut a Churchhill in half before. I bet alot of people have cut a longer smoke in half. I don't know if I could cut an Armada in half. I give myself enough time to enjoy the whole stick. There is not right or wrong answer here. If you don't mind snipping it, go for it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    or you could just buy shorter cigars...

im just sayin.

i almost never smoke churchills so i almost never buy them. I have a few for when i have the time to smoke them.

im a bit of a purist. if a cigar is rolled a certain vitola, then it is meant to be that size. smoke it as is. it wont be the same otherwise.

because i have had less time to smoke lately, i have been buying/smoking robustos and coronas.

save the big stuff for when there is time to deal with it or you are in the mood.

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    dowjr1:
    Just got some stogies in (Churchills) and was thinking I wish the sticks were just a bit shorter. I generally prefer a Toro. So I thought I could, in a pinch, just snip off an inch. Then I wondered if that might detract from the stogie as it was probably rolled to be smoked AS a Churchill. But I could be wrong with that assumption. Thoughts from the field?
    Whooo buddy! It would be sacrilege to even mention such things on this board.
    FYI, I've heard Alex mention that some blenders will favor one end of the cigar with certain leafs so a particular flavor profile builds as the cigar progresses.

Pssst!..... smoke the foot end first so it doesn't unravel.
  • If half a Churchill gives you the same pleasure both times, I'd say go for it. I remember a conversation that I've taken to heart. A cigar newbie asked how far down he should smoke his cigar. The answer that stuck with me was, "Until it isn't enjoyable anymore." That made way too much sense to me, So now I smoke one until I don't appreciate it anymore. Sometimes it's a finger burner, sometimes it's a waste of tobacco. As long as your satisfied. That's the reason to smoke a fine stick.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sailingalien:
    If half a Churchill gives you the same pleasure both times, I'd say go for it. I remember a conversation that I've taken to heart. A cigar newbie asked how far down he should smoke his cigar. The answer that stuck with me was, "Until it isn't enjoyable anymore." That made way too much sense to me, So now I smoke one until I don't appreciate it anymore. Sometimes it's a finger burner, sometimes it's a waste of tobacco. As long as your satisfied. That's the reason to smoke a fine stick.
    +1

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    Heavy:
    If you're just cutting off an inch (which i assume you're going to throw away anyway), why not just smoke it normally and stop with an extra inch left?

...and as I was typing this, I answered my own question -- you (or me or any of us) can't just leave that last inch unsmoked because it is there. Nevermind.
    Haha, +1

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yikes... Yeah, cigars are blended to be burned from one end to the other, causing specific transitions and marriages to occur as things progress. Not cool. Just buy small cigars?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I would never cut a cigar and only smoke half at a time. I would wait for a better time and choose a smaller stick. Now, I would cut it and share if the need should arise. Unlikely though since I always have several cigars with me.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    lol some of you act like the cigar is going to blow up if he snips it ;) Sure the taste *may* be changed a bit depending on the blend. But as he says - in a pinch - it's not going to harm anything. It'll just be shorter.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    It should also be said this particular stogie (carlos torano master) does not come in a Toro. Not that I have anything against Churchills.