Home General Discussion

Cigar Oasis Ultra problem

So I thought I'd give this device a try, and for the first few months it worked great. You set your desired humidity and it will only turn on when the humidity goes further than 1 degree below your setting. Presuming you don't have a leak, the Cigar Oasis will run in frequently.

But then it would start running non-stop. What was appearing to happen was the hygrometer in the Cigar Oasis was not reading properly. In fact, I would watch the unit run to my setting, and then in about 10 seconds the humidity READING (not actual humidity) would fall down a degree, causing the unit to run again. The until would take about 30 seconds to catch back up to my setting and turn off. Another 10 seconds it would have dropped a degree and turn itself back on.

To be fair, I put a couple of analog hygrometers inside the humidor WITH the Cigar Oasis. While the Oasis kept running up and down, the analog hygrometers were getting shoved up to 85%!!! This was demonstrating that the Oasis was faulty, right?

Well, they shipped me another one under warranty. I got it last night and tried it out. Out of the box it did the EXACT SAME THING!!! I called the company, and a lady tried telling me that it seemed to be working properly I couldn't believe what I heard from her! She was like, "Well, it seems to be operating how it should. Try increasing your setting by a degree or two to see if it balances out."

I told her that the analog hygrometers were reading properly, but the Oasis kept running despite the humidity NOT FALLING.

Has anyone had any experience a) working with this device or b) working with this company??

Comments

• dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    I use the products and the ultra in paticular. I haven't had a problem like you are describing happen to mine. Decreasing the humidity setting doesn't solve it I am not sure what to say. I do use a digital hygro meter in my desk top also just to be sure about the readings and it is almost one or two higher then the ultra reading.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I have been using the oasis for a while and have not experienced this problem. I would first say dump the analog hygrometers and use a digital to check your humidity. I have a digital in my humidor with the oasis. Try that and let us know.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i do not use the Oasis at all. I have never had an active humidification device. so this may be a reach:
    is there a place where the internal hygromiter of the oasis "vents" to the outside? If this is covered by where you placed it in your humidor then this could be a problem. It it placed level? do you remember if you spilled water on it ever?

Is there a way to calibrate one of those things?
    Damn good point kuzi. You need to make sure you have a little space maybe a 1/4" all the way around your oasis. Calibration however is not possible(that I've been able to find) just get a good digital hygro.
  • CastleCrestCastleCrest Posts: 51
    "To be fair, I put a couple of analog hygrometers inside the humidor"

Analog - never work right - throw it away get digital & salt test.

Also - make sure the Oasis has enough water in it - when my
    system gets dry it will run on & on!
    CastleCrest is right on the money. Salt test the digital or boveda makes a calibration kit.
  • kaveniuskavenius Posts: 46
    Thanks for all the info, boys... the problem is that I tested the analogs. Believe it or not, they are SPOT ON. I pulled them out of the humidor, and within 30 seconds to 1 minute, they both fell to 55%. I put them both back in, and both rose to 69% within 10 minutes. I'm waiting on my Prometheus digital hygrometer to come back into stock. Hopefully it comes soon!

Beyond that, I checked the location I had placed the Oasis, and there was about 1 inch in front of and above the unit. The back side of the unit has no holes or anything, so I don't believe there needs to be any room allotted.

It's an interesting phenomenon to watch the humidity on the Oasis read-out go 69.0 to 68.8 to 68.6 to 68.4 to 68.2 to 68.0 all within about 15-20 seconds. Once it hits 68.0, it turns back on until the unit reads 69.0 again. This takes roughly 45 seconds to a minute. And then it repeats itself OVER AND OVER AND OVER. However, the actual humidity isn't dropping at all! The other hygrometers are getting pushed up and up and up!! Further, the other hygrometers aren't anywhere near the Oasis. I thought at first that maybe they were too close and reading the humid air coming out of the unit. But i have one in the upper, opposite corner, and it reads 85% within maybe 20 minutes. As soon as I remove the Oasis, both hygrometers fall back to settle at 69% by the next day.

Crazy, huh??
    I'd say return it again.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    agreed. return it again.

again, i am not familiar with active humidification because i dont use it, so i hope this is a valid question:
    Is there a different brand that you could use? maybe even a different retailer?
    Brand? No, not one that has any kind of reputation. Retailer? Plenty pretty much everone sells them.