Home Non Cigar Related

Music Interests

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I have very strange taste in music... I like everything from Slipknot to Sinatra. I would have to say my favorite band though would have to be Tool. They are one of the most musically talented bands around today and Maynard is such a talented guy. He does everything from Music and art to, making wine. I ordered a bottle of his wine but haven't had a special occasion to open it yet. Looking VERY forward to it though.
  • I am into: Tool, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Suicidal Tendencies, Black Sabbath, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Danzig, Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, Frank Sinatra, Breaking Benjamin, Beastie Boys, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Johnny Cash, Doug Stone, Garth Brooks, A Perfect Circle, Boston, and so many more. I could list them for pages and pages...
  • PuroFreak:
    I have very strange taste in music... I like everything from Slipknot to Sinatra. I would have to say my favorite band though would have to be Tool. They are one of the most musically talented bands around today and Maynard is such a talented guy. He does everything from Music and art to, making wine. I ordered a bottle of his wine but haven't had a special occasion to open it yet. Looking VERY forward to it though.

Love Tool. It's my humble opinion that Lateralus is the best album ever made.

bangalohr:
    PuroFreak:

Great album but so is 10,000 Days. I have been lucky enough to see them live twice and they are just as amazing on stage as they are on the the CD. I hope to catch them again so I can take my wife to see them because she is a huge fan!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bangalohr:
    That is a bold statement.

i mean

have you ever listened to Dark Side of the Moon?

....kids these days
  • Lateralus is musically complex. time changes, theme changes, extreme buildups. It's a work of art.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Bach is complex. I'm not taking anything away from tool, but there are tons of equally and even more talented bands out there that don't get nearly as much recognition as some bigger bands. Anyone who was into the musical and mathematical complexity of 10,000 days should listen to Meshuggah and A Life Once Lost.
    bangalohr:
    Lateralus is musically complex. time changes, theme changes, extreme buildups. It's a work of art.
    im not saying it isnt. I own that album. its good.

all im saying is: that was a bold statement.
    kuzi16:
    bangalohr:
    Lateralus is musically complex. time changes, theme changes, extreme buildups. It's a work of art.
    im not saying it isnt. I own that album. its good.

all im saying is: that was a bold statement.
    YOU'RE STUPID KUZI! TOOL IS GOD!!! hahah KIDDING!!!!
    I'm a huge Tool fan but I wouldn't say that was the best album ever. Possibly the best Tool album ever, but not best out of everything.
    After all, as any true music fan would know, the best ablum of all time was by Wierd Al!!! haha
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Wow - just looked at this thread and you guys have some varied taste! Love that

I grew up with Zep, Pink Floyd, Stones, Who, Hendrix, etc... I guess I would be best to rate stuff per decade... :)

At the moment I am listening to Joshua Redman which seems to complement my Vegas limitado nicely. In heavy rotation this week is Joanna Newsome, Radiohead, Ani Difranco, Leonard Cohen, and Wayne Shorter.

I did like a few of the Plant/Krause cuts - the ones that were remakes of some 50s stuff.

Just saw My Morning Jacket a couple of nights ago at the ChicagoTheatre - Good live stuff.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I used to be a big Josh Redman fan, Tumbler. I've kinda lost track of him over the last few years, but his first album was one of my favorites for a long time, and his 2-disc "Live at the Village Vanguard" spent a lot of time in my rotation, too.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    YOU'RE STUPID KUZI! TOOL IS GOD!!! hahah KIDDING!!!!

Maybe so, but even god hates CREED!
    urbino:
    I used to be a big Josh Redman fan, Tumbler. I've kinda lost track of him over the last few years, but his first album was one of my favorites for a long time, and his 2-disc "Live at the Village Vanguard" spent a lot of time in my rotation, too.

I was listening to his second album - "Wish". It's very melodic for Jazz. I have not listened to either of the ones you mentioned. My brother sent me this one - I will have to check those two out. I come and go with Miles, Coltrane, Monk, ...etc At the moment it seems to be what I listen to a lot.

We've got a Mcintosh tube amp and pre. Sonus Faber cremonas, both the floor standers, and the monitors. We listen to music alot, but my wife isn't infatuated with Jazz - I have been spending sometime in the garage, smoking cigars, and listening to Jazz. It's cold here in Chicago... :)
    That's a sweet setup. Why both sets of speakers? Are they in separate rooms, doing double-duty as surround speakers, etc.?

I've got JMLab Spectral 913's, which I've had for, oh, 10 years or so, I guess. Coincidentally, the track that sold me on them in the listening room was Josh Redman's "One Shining Soul." It's best not to ask what's feeding them right now. ;) In the past, I had a BAT pre and Electrocompaniet monoblocks.
    We had a set in the kitchen and in the living room. The original concept was for surround sound, when we evolved to that, but we haven't evolved. :) I did move the monitors into the living room, and do feel 4 speakers are better than 2, but we are still listening to two track. We are running the TV through the Mac, but no processor and no three track amp.

The Mac Amp is the 2102 the Pre is the 2200 and picked up the MF Trivista SACD thinking that format was going to take off.... Wrong...

I did listen to the JM Labs micro utopia Be and really liked those for monitors. - Whats feeding yours? - I had to ask! :)
    Wild horses couldn't drag it out of me.

Too bad about SACD not taking off. That sounds like a nice piece; I've always had a soft spot for MF's stuff. Don't feel too bad, though. Back in the late 80s, I bought one of the first home DAT machines to enter the country.
    Beta has a better picture than VHS - It has to win out... :)

I don't know if you have visited audiogon.com - but that would restore the fever... :)

The MF did have the best redbook playbook that I listened to - just in case SACD didn't take off - But 5K would have bought a lot of cigars... :)
    Tumbler:
    I don't know if you have visited audiogon.com - but that would restore the fever... :)
    Heh. Actually, I visited it right after reading your post. (For the first time in years. That's where I sold my BAT and Electrocompaniet gear, years ago.)
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Um, huh? I think I might of have had a seizure trying to follow the last couple hours of this post.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Rob1110:
    Bach is complex. I'm not taking anything away from tool, but there are tons of equally and even more talented bands out there that don't get nearly as much recognition as some bigger bands. Anyone who was into the musical and mathematical complexity of 10,000 days should listen to Meshuggah and A Life Once Lost.
    Going to go see Meshuggah Feb 1st or 2nd at House of Blues, never had heard of them before a few weeks ago when my buddy told me we were seeing them. You are right in the complexity of their stuff, the amount of notes and crazy timings alone blow my mind.
    Luko:
    Um, huh? I think I might of have had a seizure trying to follow the last couple hours of this post.
    Heh. It's just audio nerd talk, dear.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Luko:
    So I need to consult you two when I put surround sound in my man cave. All I know is, I have digital cable. After that, I'm lost.
    Luko:
    urbino:
    Luko:
    So I need to consult you two when I put surround sound in my man cave. All I know is, I have digital cable. After that, I'm lost.
    Better stick with Tumbler, dude. My audiophile days were all pretty much before home theater got big.
    Luko:
    urbino:
    Luko:

If you have 20k in your pocket that's burnin' a hole - I can help... :)
    Tumbler:
    For $20k? A man can't even get a pair of Wilson MAXX's for that.
    urbino:
    Tumbler:

Damn't - you be right again - BUT you can get one. :) Monaural now - stereo later...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Tumbler:
    An audiophile I am not, so explain to me, if you would be so kind, who spends $50,000 on a set of speakers? I have done some light research on the speakers in question, I just cannot comprehend how they can be that good.
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Tumbler:
    An audiophile I am not, so explain to me, if you would be so kind, who spends $50,000 on a set of speakers? I have done some light research on the speakers in question, I just cannot comprehend how they can be that good.

They are not - there is this little thing about diminishing returns. Jump from 10K to 20k and you might here a 20% difference. It's a pretty awesome 20% but 20% none the less. The last stereo I bought, before this one, probably cost me 8k - 23 years ago, but I just replaced it about 3 years ago. The gift that keeps on giving... :) It's a crazy thing - but my wife loves the tunes also so... it's copasetic - We listen everyday... Wish she liked cigars!
    j0z3r:
    Quite honestly, I don't know who spends that much, either, Joe. Somebody's doing it, though, cuz crazy-expensive speakers (and every other stereo component you can think of) have been around for a long, long time.

I've never heard the MAXX's, so I don't know if they're worth it. I did hear, many years ago, the Wilson WATT/Puppy in combination with their WHOW subwoofer, and I have to say it was a pretty astonishing experience. Back then, I think the WATT/Puppy sold for $17k a pair, and the WHOW was, like, another $10k. (I may be wrong about that.) Was what I heard, astonishing as it was, worth that kind of money? Probably not. But it was damn exhilarating.

The speakers I have sold for $6.5k, back when I bought them. I bought a demo pair, so I didn't pay quite that much, but, to me, they're worth that.