Home General Discussion

Smoke Time...how long does your stogie last?

Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
I know this will definitely vary according to the length and ring gauge....But lately I have been noticing that it is taking longer and longer to smoke sticks that in the past have taken much less time. From my notes on my sticks, the same cigar that I had last year (same brand) is taking longer to smoke. Typically I used to womder why my time on just about every stick never went beyond an hour. Now I am noticing that same stick takes about an hour and a half to finish. On sticks that I am truly enjoying they have even lasted up to 2 hours or 2 hours and fifteen to twenty minutes. For the Brothers out there,,,,what has been your experience?

Comments

• cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    1 1/2 norm for me with Kristoffat over two..
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Depends what I'm doing; if it's playing a game or working on the computer, I draw pretty often, and I'm done with most any cigar inside of 1.5 hrs; if I'm reading a really good book, I can make a Diesel d7 last 3 hrs because I keep forgetting to draw (almost goes out on multiple occasions)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im at about an 1:50 -2:00 for a toro at a 50 ring. if thats a 60 ring im looking at 2:20 - 2:30

• Very few sticks last over an hour when they confront Unthought_Known. A churchill can last over an hour, as well as a very strong toro, but most cigars meet their maker before then.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    It can very depending on how it tastes, how it's burning or how the flavor is developing but I mainly smoke a cigar over an hour, some have gone well over 2 hours before as well.

I Don't really pay too much attention but I'd say I smoke slower the more bands I rack up
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    A robusto will last me about 1hr 15min - 1hr 30min. A churchhill is around 2 hours.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're developing your timing, to me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that as I smoke more, I am starting to pay attention to the flavors and aromas of the cigar. Before I think I kinda rushed the cigar and wasn't able to really appreciate it. Now I am noticing that I can sit for well over an hour and still have plenty of cigar to go. Maybe it's cause I am not trying to rush to see what the next change will be I am just letting it happen and therefore taking more time.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    When i first started smoking cigars i was still a cigarette smoker and i had the bad habit of finishing off my cigars well under an hour no matter what vitola it was. Now that i've quit cigarettes and can appreciate the flavors of a cigar better i've slowed down my pace. A robusto can last my anywhere between 1hr - 1 1/2hr. Torpedos, Churchhills, or just large ring guages or well over 1 1/2hrs. The only cigar that i can smoke below an hour are coronas and i'm usually done with them around 45 minutes.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I smoked a Padilla Cazadores yesterday that burned for 2 hrs, 17 minutes. Great cigar, btw!

JDE

• RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    On average 50+ gauge smokes 2.5hrs or more. What can I say, I'm a slow smoker.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Each blend has it's own ideal time for burn and smokeoutput, theres no magic formula based on size. I have little 4x34's that outlast some 5x50's or more.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaelaria:
    Each blend has it's own ideal time for burn and smokeoutput, theres no magic formula based on size. I have little 4x34's that outlast some 5x50's or more.
    this is a fantastic point.

the Camacho 1962 was rolled a bit "loose" so that the burn time would be shorter than most other camachos.

that and many robustos will last me 1:30 but a Davidoff Maduro robusto will be a touch over 2. this is because of how they burn and how they are packed/bunched.. there really is an "intention" on how slow things will smoke.

much like you can add power and depth by changing priming/fermentation/age/rolling style you can also change how fast or slow the tobacco burns by swapping out different priming/fermentation/age/rolling style.
  • just had a CAO La Traviata, took about one hour and twenty minutes....delish!!!
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Cohiba Red Dot Corona - 50 to 60 minutes
    Padilla Black Bear - 2 to 2.5 hours
    Everything else somewhere in between
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I take forever these days. A robusto that is nicely packed with a good draw 1hr 45min. Had a Cubao maddie 7x49 last nite 2.5 hrs.

I exhale very slow letting the smoke gently roll out. retro a little than out the mouth then retro again. Also roll my tounge around sometimes for more flavor. Take a whiff of the resting smoke sniff the wrapper the whole 9.