Home Cigar 101
Options

Noob comparing first few cigars

So, AF Hemingway really sucked me into trying more cigars and getting my humidor/stash setup. Picked up Oliva Connecticut Reserve and did not really like it. Nowhere near as much as Hemingway. Hemingway just seemed to have a lot more flavor and finish that I could pick up and enjoy. Olive while not strong or bad, was boring in comparison. The difference from what I read is wrapper (Cameroon vs Connecticut) and tobacco (Dominican vs Nicaraguan). Based on the above, can you guys make some recommendations for what cigars I should try next? P.S. How big of a hole does one cut? Perhaps I cut too big of a hole and that's what made Oliva not as enjoyable. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    It's not the hole you cut, but the vitola - what gauge did you smoke? Larger rings gauges have less flavor than smaller rings.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so don't take all of what I say to hear as I am still pretty much a noob as well. You mention Cameroon vs Conneticut wraps. I myself am not a fan of Conneticuts as many of them are very mild in comparison to a Cameroon or Maduro (Which I like). So, it seems that you are at least noticing the differences in flavor as the smoke hits your palate.

The wrap generally provides about 60% or more of the flavor of the cigar (depending on who you talk to). Since it sounds like to like something medium to full bodied I would suggest something like the CAO Brazillia, NUB Cameroon, La Pearla Habana Classic or Morado, MOW Ruination, or even a Cuba Libre.

Those are some that I really like so it is really only coming from my experience.

Now, for the hole to cut, you might try looking up the Perfect Cut or evening trying a V Cut or a punch. It really all depends on your preference. I like the V cut on bigger ring cigars as it allows you to either get more or less of a draw depending how you hold and bit on the cigar.

Hope some of this helps and if anyone has anything better to add I am here to learn as well.
  • Options
    jbraslinsjbraslins Posts: 57
    xmacro:
    It's not the hole you cut, but the vitola - what gauge did you smoke? Larger rings gauges have less flavor than smaller rings.
    50. Hemingway is 49. Don't think it was that, but good to know that smaller rings are more flavorful. I might stick to smaller ones until I develop a pallet.
  • Options
    jbraslinsjbraslins Posts: 57
    Thanks for suggestions Lakota. I'm def gonna try them. I think I'll focus on trying a few of each wrapper type and determining if Cameroon is indeed what I liked more about Hemingway.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    jbraslins:
    Thanks for suggestions Lakota. I'm def gonna try them. I think I'll focus on trying a few of each wrapper type and determining if Cameroon is indeed what I liked more about Hemingway.
    The accompanied house blends is really a good start if you are looking to see what you like.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakota72:
    jbraslins:
    The accompanied house blends is really a good start if you are looking to see what you like.
    +1 on the C.Com House Blends! Buy the sampler...it's a good way to experience the different wrappers.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    What is interesting about this hobby is that so much comes down to personal preference. For me, the Hemingway (which I like, don't get me wrong), is a very mild and non-complex smoke. That being said, if you want to try a Connecticut wrapper that still has a decent amount of flavor and isn't too mild, I'd recommend the Nub Connecticut.
    Light 'em up.