Home Cigar 101

Reseasoning of a humidor

BombayBombay Posts: 1,207

Hey guys new to the forum as a poster but have been reading the forums for quite some time. Just a quick question regarding the re-seasoning of a humidor. I emptied the humidor about a year ago and it has been empty ever since. I have picked up the hobby again and was wondering will re-seasoning the humidor have an adverse affect on the cigars? Is it necessary to re-season? Opinions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance-Jim

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yes, you need to re-season. if you dont, when you add cigars to it, they will dry out very quickly. it will never hold RH. dont put any cigars in there until it is seasoned and holds humidity correctly.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    No, Reseasoning won't have an adverse affect (AKA it's not better to buy a new humi. Since you are back in the hobby, I recommend getting humidification beads and a digital hygrometer. Welcome back
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Yeah, like others have said, re-seasoning an old humi is the exact same process as seasoning a new one - they're both bone-dry, and need time to absorb some humidity before putting your sticks in. Welcome back!
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Thanks guys, started the reseasoning last night.