Home Cigar 101
Options

Cabinet questions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
So I was at my father-in-laws house a month ago and I asked how his cabinet was doing. My wife saw it and said, "Ooh, that's nice. You should get one of those. I'm tired of looking at your cooler." I just smiled and said sure babe, as I knew how much he money dropped on it. He has an end table type unit with an Avallo humidifier. Later on I told her how much he spent.

It turns out he wants something bigger and is offering to sell this to me. I can't afford anything like this new but might be able to manage this since it's used and I would get a family discount.

Is buying a used cabinet a good idea?
He lives an hour away in the mountains (lots of twists and turns), any issues/recommendations with transporting this thing?
Do the cabinets resist temperature changes well?

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Ask him how well it maintains humidity - the only issue with buying a humidor, new or used, is making sure it seals properly. So long as it's sealed properly, it can be 30 yrs old and it wouldn't matter.

Only concerns I can think of, transportation-wise, is taking it easy. Transport it the same way you would a china cabinet or other piece of furniture - carefully, and with lots of padding. You don't wanna bump or jar anything.

As for temp, ask other BOTL's, I couldn't tell ya
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks man, he said it runs like a champ but I will double check with him.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Cant wait to see the pics man! Good luck!