Home Cigar 101

As a cigar burns....

ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
I've noticed as I smoke that the inch or so before the lit end gets soft and warm. Just interested in theories on how this affects flavor/harshness or if that's "just the way it is".

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ScottTDawg:
    I've noticed as I smoke that the inch or so before the lit end gets soft and warm. Just interested in theories on how this affects flavor/harshness or if that's "just the way it is".

I believe it's just "How it is"

I've always noticed this and that's what helps me take the bands off... Once it's warm and spongy the vegetal glue on the band loosens as well and the band slips off
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    I think the cigar naturally gets harsher as you smoke it, as the tars begin to build on the end. My cigars normally tend to get soft and warm at the end of the smoke session, handling may contribute to it aside from the burn coming closer. I think it's just the way it is.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    granneja:
    I think the cigar naturally gets harsher as you smoke it, as the tars begin to build on the end. My cigars normally tend to get soft and warm at the end of the smoke session, handling may contribute to it aside from the burn coming closer. I think it's just the way it is.
    many cigars do not get harsh as you smoke them. if all your smokes get harsh as you smoke them then there may be something that you are doing to cause this.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Depends on the cigar. I've had cigars that stayed solid up to the last inch and some cigars that get mushy half-way through. I believe it's a function of the combustion of the leaves and the construction. Also, I think smoking too fast (burning too hot) contributes to the mushiness.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    granneja:
    many cigars do not get harsh as you smoke them. if all your smokes get harsh as you smoke them then there may be something that you are doing to cause this.
    Ie. smoking too fast, smoking too wet, etc.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    granneja:
    Ie. smoking too fast, smoking too wet, etc.
    Good advice, I will try to slow it down. Most of the time I get the harshness at the last inch and the end of the cigar looks pretty dark (not from saliva), I always figured it was the tar buildup.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Yes, smoking too fast will cause this. The tar issue could be do to that too or it could be a humidity issue. Make sure that you don't let the humidity get below 66% no matter what. Sometimes in the winter months this can be a real issue but if it drops below that tar seems to become a major issue when I smoke.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed this alot to. But I'm a cheap *** so I smoke all of them to the nub unless they get real harsh and hot.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    Make sure that you don't let the humidity get below 66% no matter what.

I respectfully disagree with this. I keep 65% beads in my coolidor but my sticks burn much better at 62%.

On what are you basing your 66% premise?

Good question. I guess when I wrote I was thinking in terms of my storage. I have 3 humi's. Two for long term storage and 1 small one that I use to keep my 2 week smoking in. The long term storage units need to say at the upper end say 66-70, though 70 is the upper end for sure. I have had a unit get low in the winter and found an major increase in tar. The current thinking is that low humidity caused this. I have had no issues above 65%. That said, my small 20 ct. that I get into daily stays at 65-67. But this is only to bring the smoke into the humidity that I like to smoke at. I usually rotate smokes into this one once a week so I have a week to bring the RH down before it smokes. Basically a good rule fo thumb for me is as long as the RH does not get to the point that the band is lose then it is fine. For me, where I am at, that is 66-70% for long term storage.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thought I have, J. S., is that it's at least partially dependent on the ambient RH where an individual lives. For example, here in the part of No. Calif. where I live, the RH is fairly low. If I lived in Florida or some other high-humidity area I'd probably think differently about it.

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    J.S.:
    Make sure that you don't let the humidity get below 66% no matter what.

I respectfully disagree with this. I keep 65% beads in my coolidor but my sticks burn much better at 62%.

On what are you basing your 66% premise?

I may be wrong, but it has always been my understanding that a low 60's Rh is best for long term storage..
    I think it depends on a lot of issues. This seems to be working for me right now. I have used this process for about 12 yrs. with no real issues. Whatever works for you where you are at is the key. This is an intersting discussion, I am sure it has been discussed before but wonder how radically different different parts of the country affect long term storage. This may need to be a new thread as I think I am moving off topic.