Home Cigar 101

Switching Back to the Heavy Stuff

Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
So, since I have been home from "deployment" I have switched times when I smoke a cigar. Normally, in Germany, I would eat a hearty evening meal and then finish off the night with a CAO Brazillia or Gurkha Titan, Centurian etc. --Essentially something that was a little fuller bodied.

Since I have been home, I smoke in the morning and have learned to really like the Conneticut wrap and other mild cigars. (Thanks to Kuzi's Developing your Palate thread)

Has or does anyone smoke a full bodied cigar in the morning and is there going to be any issues with switching back to the heavy stuff?

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked fuller bodied cigars in the morning and discovered I didn't really like it. I don't think it's a very good fit for me, I prefer the mild/mild-medium range for morning smokes. Fuller bodied cigars, for me, are a better fit later in the day or at night.

That's all just personal preference, plenty of people come to mind when thinking of smoking full bodied cigars in the morning, namely Cabinetmaker and Fla-gypsy. Those guys are burly.

Since you've already worked up to full bodied cigars once and have been smoking right along since then I don't see any problems re-acclimating to the heavy hitters.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    That's cool. I appreciate the insight. I may just have to save the fuller bodied smokes for the weekend when I am grilling and what not. I think I will slowly work may way back up the chain so to speak so as not to be overwhelmed at the start.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I've smoked heavy stuff in the morning and loved it. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed mild cigars in the morning with coffee while reading the paper because I have. For me it's all about what I'm feeling at that particular time which is usually determined by mood, atmosphere, food, company, etc
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nothing like a Ruination for breakfast...
    laker1963:
    Really? That's one of my fav's but have been too afraid to tackle it in the morn. I though I might loose that "war"
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:
    Really? That's one of my fav's but have been too afraid to tackle it in the morn. I though I might loose that "war"
    What's that soldier...fear? After that comment I expect to be reading a review of Lakota's Ruination Breakfast by the weekend lmao. I smoke on an empty stomach and / or full bodied sticks in the morning. Never seems to bother me.
    Then again I've hurled after smoking an RP Edge right after a big meal, so don't go by me :)
    laker1963:
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:
    What's that soldier...fear? After that comment I expect to be reading a review of Lakota's Ruination Breakfast by the weekend lmao. I smoke on an empty stomach and / or full bodied sticks in the morning. Never seems to bother me.
    Then again I've hurled after smoking an RP Edge right after a big meal, so don't go by me :)
    Roger that I will have a Ruination tomorrow morning and write out a full report sir.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I think I'm going to give my wife the Heavy Stuff this evening. Wait, we might be talking about different things here...
    Heavy:
    I think I'm going to give my wife the Heavy Stuff this evening. Wait, we might be talking about different things here...
    Now I wish I had of had a full stomach before reading THAT!
    Heavy:
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's hilarious! I was really hoping you'd say something like this in here
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    laker1963:

x2 on this. Some other breakfast favorites of mine are 601 green, LFD chisel maduro, DPG blue label. Oliva V is always a nice wake me up.

I used to worry about strong cigars in the morning as I always smoke with coffee before food. Just got used to it pretty quick and love it. I still enjoy mild-med as well.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    ENFIDL:
    For me it's all about what I'm feeling at that particular time which is usually determined by mood, atmosphere, food, company, etc
    +1.

• bobdbobd Posts: 71
    What is the earliest that any of you smoke in the AM? I am at work by 6AM or earlier, I've been afraid to try a 4:30AM smoke. I have considered it though as it is usually the only alone time that I have.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    bobd:
    What is the earliest that any of you smoke in the AM? I am at work by 6AM or earlier, I've been afraid to try a 4:30AM smoke. I have considered it though as it is usually the only alone time that I have.
    I really don't like smoking anytime before 11am. My body is trying to wake up and a cigar just doesn't sound appetizing at that time. However, I have smoked a 2-3AM cigar because I've stayed up. If you feel like a 4:30AM smoke, then go for it. There isn't a "wrong" time to be smoking cigars.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:
    Roger that I will have a Ruination tomorrow morning and write out a full report sir.

Softy, you smoke that and prove it. I'll have a Titan or Camacho Triple Maduro 60 ring and take pictures. Okay, I'm joking, lol. I will stick to my Avo's and RYJ's in the morning. But let me know how that works out for you, lol....
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RCY Cigars:
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:

Softy, you smoke that and prove it. I'll have a Titan or Camacho Triple Maduro 60 ring and take pictures. Okay, I'm joking, lol. I will stick to my Avo's and RYJ's in the morning. But let me know how that works out for you, lol....

Hmmmm, I may get up early and take that Camacho Triple Maddy challenge Rick. I'll send you a picture.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I prefer mediums in the morning but have knocked off some full stuff in the morning. I did a LPH Rojo robusto for breakfast this morning and it was delicious
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I stick a Punisher in the coffee maker with my French Roast in the morning. it's a nice balance.......
    dennisking:
    I stick a Punisher in the coffee maker with my French Roast in the morning. it's a nice balance.......
    Go big or go home right? Love it Dennis!
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I prefer the fuller bodied smoke. I may be the wrong person to weigh in here as it took me the better part of two decades to be able to say that I appreciate mild-medium bodied cigars. I doubt that I will ever say that I love them. Anyway, full bodied smokes work fine in the morning. I usually have eaten but about 8:00 A.M. I enjoy a good smoke once in a while. I typically like a smaller cigar as I don't have an hour plus to kill and that might also help if you are concerned about the kick that the larger full bodies have.
    RCY Cigars:
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:

Well, I missed you calling me out and did not see that you wanted proof. i.e. picture. However, I can say that I smoked a MOW Ruination Robusto No. 2 this morning. And since you were calling me out about a 60 ring that's exactly what the No. 2 is.

After talking to some other individuals, I decided to use a punch on this and see how the flavor worked out. I was very surprised. Just lighting this this was a great experience.

Some of the notes that I took on the cigar this morning were that the start of it had a pleasant spice to it which certainly woke me up. I enjoyed the fact that what I had remembered about past experiences with the Ruination were coming back to life in this morning's smoke.

One thing I wrote down that I like is that the "aroma is excellent, sweet with a full bodied smell that carries a flavor of its own".

The actual cigar carried wood notes along with some earthiness that was not overpowering.

After all of this, I have to say this I will probably have the occasional heavy hitting, full-bodied cigar in the morning. Not too sure if I want to try the Titan as of yet but maybe I'll work up to that.

Doug is this the type of Review you are looking for?

Oh and Rick, I'd watch who you're calling softy. I'll drop another bomb on you if you aren't careful.
    Well done Dan. That was an great review. You nailed all the same things I get out of my Ruinations. I acrually just hold and smell them for a sew minutes before lighting them. The smell is like you said... a flavor all its own.

Smoking the full on sticks in the morning for me is really more because I have no others in my humi most of the time. I enjoy a nice med. body Dominican once in a while but I tend to stick mostly to the full bodied Nicaraguan sticks.

Yesterday I started with a Diesel Unlimited D7 this morning I'm thinking a Ruination for today. Your review has me convinced that it's agood Ruination morning. Thanks Dan great review.

I was surprised to hear that "Softy" comment from RCY... that's hitting a little below the belt isn't it bro"? Hehehehehehe
    I thought Softy was a little harsh as well. I think I am going to have to do something to get him to back down. I have a couple ideas.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I found that when I was smoking full bodied cigars regularly, and consistently that smoking one in the morning was no big deal. If I smoked a mild Connecticut then it was nice and all, but 2 minutes after I was ready for something else. So I just smoked strong sticks in the morning. Now that I'm over that phase it's all about mood, and what I feel like. I've been enjoying Hemingway Signatures, 787s, and Zino's on the rare occasion I do smoke in the morning.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    RCY Cigars:
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:
    Lakota72:
    laker1963:

Oh I got some full bodied stuff comin your way for morning enjoyment lol.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakota72:
    So, since I have been home from "deployment" I have switched times when I smoke a cigar. Normally, in Germany, I would eat a hearty evening meal and then finish off the night with a CAO Brazillia or Gurkha Titan, Centurian etc. --Essentially something that was a little fuller bodied.

Since I have been home, I smoke in the morning and have learned to really like the Conneticut wrap and other mild cigars. (Thanks to Kuzi's Developing your Palate thread)

Has or does anyone smoke a full bodied cigar in the morning and is there going to be any issues with switching back to the heavy stuff?
    hope your having a great time off! how long will you be off to enjoy yourself?
    I go back to wqork tomorrow. My morning smokes will be few and far between.