Home Non Cigar Related

big pig ( grouper )

jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
friend sent me this yesterday, guy caught it on a live blue runner about 700 foot down on a oil rig about 90 miles offshore, the white goo on the deck he said was eggs, said she was full of them, too bad she didnt lay em first. 207 pounds image

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Good golly
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    couple more imageimage
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    It's always been a dream of mine to do some offshore fishing. That's quite a catch.
    the bait image the story Well,it was a heck of a trip to say the least. We managed to raise the bar on the boat for the next trip on this one. Our sights were set on snapper for the box,last day and all,,, and to hit Tekila to yank up a toad grouper. Well,we did both. I'll make the snapper details short. We used live bait and snapper slappers. They ate them. We put them in the box. We will eat them real soon. Well,I fished with Billy last week. We had a great time and boxed some fish. He mentioned that we need to hit tekila next trip out and try to get a smart car off the bottom. So we left Sunday morning on our way to do that. We hit Tekila and to our surprise it was empty. No Boats. So we got the set up ready... Tiagra 80w 250lb braid,14/0 circle hook,2lbs of lead and about a 4 lb blue runner. Down and it went and got smashed about 2 minutes after it hit the bottom. Rod is bowed over,looking like it's about to explode. We backed off the rig about 200 ft and started the fight. Billy cranked and cranked. Fight lasted about 15,maybe 20 minutes. Thats 15-20 minutes of the rod looking like it was going to explode! Pulling max drag and cracking fiberglass around the rod holder. Pulling line in and taking it back out. It was a hustle all the way up.A Lot of dead weight. But we put a gaff in her lip and drug her thru the tuna/grouper door. Took some piks and put her in the fish box. Headed in to Bridge bait where she weighed in at 207. The belly was full of air and eggs. About a 5 gallon bucket worth. hated to see that. It was a fun trip and got to fish with Tommy261. Even tho he was running fever ,he still fished hard and had some fun. Thanks for making that trip. Billy fished hard to. Dude has some energy.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Geebus that's an ugly fish.Wink [;)] Congrats on the catch. I'm not a fisher, so I'm wondering...is that an eating fish, or a "look what I caught" fish?
    j0z3r:
    Geebus that's an ugly fish.Wink [;)] Congrats on the catch. I'm not a fisher, so I'm wondering...is that an eating fish, or a "look what I caught" fish?
    yup, but smaller better and the main thing is the big round fillets in the cheeks , ive hook some of those but never got them up,lol, notice he said they pulled 200 feet off the rig ,lol , i always fished partyboats and we anchored , no moving off like they could