Home Cigar 101

might have messed up lighter

hey guys, i have a triple flame lighter with puncher on the bottom. it has been working great till i took boating....i was on a big 12 person raft.......had the lighter in my pocket.....when i got back to the house, i triedto use it...ucan hear the butane coming out from top, but no flame....eventually it started working again, but not consistent... can it be the little flint( spark) thing over the 3 outputs that isnt sparking, and if so, how can i fix it........if possible..... thanks guys

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I assume that you have a quartz type ignition system but they do vary from company to company. However, if you hear it clicking then you press down on the ignition button then you are in good shape. No click would mean that the lighter is dead and unless under warranty it would be time to buy a new one. If it clicks then you need to check and see if you are getting a spark every time you press the button. Make sure to keep well away from it in doing so. If it is not sparking then you can try some compressed air to see if there any debris is keeping it from sparking. If it does spark but you are not getting flame then you can try taking a small item like a paper clip or screwdriver and move the wire toward where the butane release point is. Small movements are all that is necessary. If the wire breaks you will have to buy a new lighter it cannot be fixed at that point. I hope this helps.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd also see how the butane is flowing. If you hear the *HISS* from the butane but no spark just put another lighter or match that is burning by it and see if the gas makes a flame. With lighters I've found that sometimes the flow of butane can shift and you may have too little or too much coming out. So see if the butane is lighting and staying lit first then you can see if it's the ignition system
  • thanks guys for the advice. when i press the button, there is hishing, and sometimes it lights. i can light it with another lighter as well....i will try to move the spark around, as well as drain it, and refill it....if after all this it doesnt work , i will be using it as target practice....lol i already got a sweet deal on a colibri hybrid and an ave maria lotus single torch..,....i figured i needed a plan b and c...lol thanks again for ur help...!! ill let u know what happens to my lighter...
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    You are gonna LOVE that Ave Maria Lotus Stav - best single flame torch Ive found, bar none!

• im loving the size, it fits right in my shirt pocket....and the fluidity of the single-action ignition is great.... simply love it and for 14.00 bucks......its a steal!! i will keep the cohiba triple flamer for show ,and maybe the for the whole puncher on the bottom of it... thanks guys for ur advice and help
  • acutally got the triple flame to work. i took a small knife ande moved the repositioned the spark alittle higher...and viola.....it started working consistently........its a good day.....!!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hell yes! It's always good to fix something!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    And now you've got a kickass touch-up / backup torch to boot! WIN!

• ohh yeah, u shld have seen the smile on my face, cause i rlly thought it was over for the cohiba lighter.......but like the cohiba brand....its strong like bull....it survived the lake house trip and a little trip on the 12 passngr float all day on the lake..... def a win!!
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I am glad that moving the electrode worked.
    Best,
  • thanks brotha....and the funny thing is that the lighter was in my bathing suit on the float......and i thought it got wet, and it did get alittle damp.......i thought it was a goner...andi was mad at myself taking a nice lighter like that on the boat...never again...im bringing a cheap one, so if it gets wet or someone drops it in the water, i can just laugh and keep smoking my cigar.....lol