Home Cigar 101

Question about wrappers?

I guess the idea I have in my mind is that the darker the wrapper the more strong the cigar.  I haven't yet tried a really dark wrappered cigar.  I guess for fear of spending the money and not really liking the cigar.  Question is...  Is this true?  

Also,  I ordered a flight of Victor Sinclair  anyone have any experience with these sticks? 

Comments

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Generally that can be true but do not let it dissuade you from trying a darker wrapper. It can mean full flavor and still not be a heavy smoke. Their is a lot of good, complex flavors in the darker wrappers; sweet, rich and pepper. Try a 5 Vegas 'A', its a maduro wrapper but isn't too heavy but good flavor.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Darker = stronger, is not necessarily true. Typically it is true but only bc manufacturers have plaid to the stereotype. Next time you're in you're B&M, or give Cigar.com a call, ask for a milder maduro.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the camacho Havanna is a light color cigar...

...filled with corojo leaf.
    it packs a punch.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I want to say I had a Perdomo early in my smoking that was light in color but so heavy I couldn't finish it and I felt like I had ran a marathon after it.
    kuzi16:
    the camacho Havanna is a light color cigar...

...filled with corojo leaf.
    it packs a punch.
    The 601 Conneticut is so light its almost white but it will sit a grown man down. Darker = stronger is much more likely to be true than lighter = milder is.
  • I appreciate the replies.  The victor sinclair flight that i'll be receiving today has a few darker wrappered cigars.  I guess its just a matter of giving it a shot.  I definetly have been mistaken grabbing a few lighter wrappered cigars and receiving a stronger smoke then expected.  So trial and error. 

Kuzi, you said something about a corojo leaf.  Is this typically a stronger smoke?  Is there anywhere posted or on the internet that defines the flavor differences between each leaf?  Also, is the characteristics of each leaf going to be the same among different manufacturers?  For example, a RP corojo vs another manufacturer.  I'm definetly new to cigar smoking.  I would like to be an informed/educated smoker.   

I'm a big fan of microbrews.  I wasn't until I went to a local microbrew.  I spoke with a guy there and sampled many different styles of beers.  He was very informative as to the differences of each beer and what I was tasting and why.  I guess what i'm trying to say, the more informed you are the better you can enjoy it. 

• smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    I have found the darker it is the more strong it is but there are a few dark one like the edge lite maduro that arent to strong more of a milder maduro that i really enjoy i am finding myself to really enjoy the more full bodied cigars. I had a camacho triple maduro the other day and i loved it i think i am hooked on the darker more full bodied cigars. So far i would have to say if its a dark wrapper it is gonna have a little kick to it but dont let that scare you off because you never know you could end up loving it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    tuckaholic:

I appreciate the replies.  The victor sinclair flight that i'll be receiving today has a few darker wrappered cigars.  I guess its just a matter of giving it a shot.  I definetly have been mistaken grabbing a few lighter wrappered cigars and receiving a stronger smoke then expected.  So trial and error. 

Kuzi, you said something about a corojo leaf.  Is this typically a stronger smoke?  Is there anywhere posted or on the internet that defines the flavor differences between each leaf?  Also, is the characteristics of each leaf going to be the same among different manufacturers?  For example, a RP corojo vs another manufacturer.  I'm definetly new to cigar smoking.  I would like to be an informed/educated smoker.   

I'll throw in my two cents before kuzi hits you with the wisdom. More often than not, you are going to find a corojo wrapper on a stronger cigar, due to the flavor of the corojo leaf which is spicier in nature that some of the other popular wrappers. That fuller flavor makes it a more suitable choice at times to add some pep to the filler/binder blend. As for leaf characteristics between manufacturers, there will be similarities and consistencies in the leaf itself, but not the finished product because the binder and filler blend will be different...for example, you can smoke a RP Edge corojo and a Camacho Corojo and know very well that you smoked two completely different cigars, though they may share a few similarities. Victor Sinclair cigars are a good place to go for Corojo wrapped cigars...personally I think they utilize some of the tastiest corojo wrappers I've had...not to mention how beautiful they are.
    tuckaholic:
    Tuck a good place to start is by clicking the links in kuzi's signature. That'll get you going in the right direction.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    tuckaholic:

is there anywhere that defines the flavor of each type of leaf?

yes. see my signature. blending 101 is a work in progress.

is each leaf goinig to taste the same from each manufacturer...

yes. no.
    if one company took a leaf and rolled it into a cigar and another company took the same leaf and made the same shape cigar out of it, then they would taste the same.

this will almost never happen. there are so many factors in cigar making that every cigar will have a different profile. differences in blends, weather the year the tobacco was grown, soil conditions, etc... can all change how its gunna come out. Most corojo cigars will have similar traits but they wont all taste the same. A corojo grown in honduras will not taste the same as one grown in Ecuador, or Nicaragua.