Home Cigar 101

humi-care pillows

Is it advisable to add 50/50 solution to these pillows, or will it damage the gel?

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I just add distilled water. They work great that way.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    +1
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    +2
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I have a big ol' bag of these left over from my many cigar.com purchases. I plan on eventually using some of them for starter cigar samplers for friends. Perhaps I could find a good use for the others though...
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    distilled. It will not damage the gel but it won't release humidity the same.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I've asked this question about the gels also. I've noticed the gels start to not work as well after a year or two, at that point I usually add a small amount of 50/50 solution to "recharge" the gels. Seems to work good for as long as I used gel in my small humi. I use beads in the rest. I'm thinking maybe if your humi pillows start to not work as well after a long time, you could possibly try to use a little bit of 50/50 to replace some of the lost propylene glycol or whatever its called, just every now & then as you think its needed. But otherwise stick with distilled as long as they are holding the humidity where you like. Some others can probably chime in on this.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to get me some more, they are nice to have when you need one. Somehow I've managed to lose a few and I wasn't smart enuf to keep them from my first few purchases another lesson learned.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    I need to get me some more, they are nice to have when you need one. Somehow I've managed to lose a few and I wasn't smart enuf to keep them from my first few purchases another lesson learned.

Sounds like you need to place an order or two! Although, my last few orders haven't included humi pillows. I think they might not send them in the summer since the humidity in PA is considerably higher. I could be wrong though.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    This was brought up with my last order. I was used to seeing some included with "all" orders in the past. The MOW's were in cello and the other singe oddly was in a ccom bag w/a pillow, but was damaged, not due to the humidity, but to way the packaging.

I have to say for the ones that I'm not using I tend to let them "dry" up and recharge them as needed. Anyone have any thoughts or input on that matter? good or bad to do? They seem to be working but just looking for some input. As always, thanks and have a great day brothers!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    RampMonkey:
    This was brought up with my last order. I was used to seeing some included with "all" orders in the past. The MOW's were in cello and the other singe oddly was in a ccom bag w/a pillow, but was damaged, not due to the humidity, but to way the packaging.

I have to say for the ones that I'm not using I tend to let them "dry" up and recharge them as needed. Anyone have any thoughts or input on that matter? good or bad to do? They seem to be working but just looking for some input. As always, thanks and have a great day brothers!
    I think everyone here has a collection of these things.LOL I know I have what seems like a couple hundred. I even have some new ones I purchased way back when. I didn't know I would be receiving these so regularly so I actually bought some. They do work, but not all that great. they tend to over humidify your sticks. They may work ok in a large humi with lots of sticks and not too many pillows in it. They work in a pinch and they rock for temp. storage of sticks in a traveldor or baggy when travelling.