Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any of you guys know anything...

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
About tires? Tires for a travel trailer, specifically. I'm trying to learn which brand of tire made specifically for trailers is made here in the good ol' U S of A. There are quite a few brands out there but most of 'em are made in China, Japan, or Indonesia. The Chinese ones are pure **** and the others aren't so hot, either. I don't plan to buy any not made here but I don't know which are the US made ones.

You guys got any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Bump - I need to get some for my 5th wheel as well. Don't know the answer.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Firestone is a US held company I think Cooper tires are made in the US still too..As well as Uniroyal
  • Options
    The Kid:
    I'm pretty sure Firestone is a US held company I think Cooper tires are made in the US still too..As well as Uniroyal
    Scratch Firestone sold to Japan in 1988
  • Options
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    Scratch Uniroyal sold to France in 1990
  • Options
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    Scratch Uniroyal sold to France in 1990
    looks like goodyear and cooper are still US, seems like they all have plants here and overseas so not sure how you can designate which ones are actually made here..I wonder where Les Schwab has their tires manufactured..
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Goodyear plant here just shut down, going overseas. I think there are still a couple plants in the U.S., but it's a sure bet they're planning to move them overseas as soon as possible.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    There are currently no ST tires (trailer tires) made here of any consequence. Try Taiwan made Maxxis tires. I have had great success with them on my travel trailer and will not use anything else.
  • Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    I would say get the best tires you can for the money you have to spend. Reallly the selection is going to depend on the weight/use of the vehicle and what will actually fit. I know on the heavier weight equipment trailers I have/use have different ratings due to the weight to be supported and size of the wheel. I think your best bet is to catch up with a reputable tire place and talk with them about their options.
  • Options
    Well, I've got it narrowed down to just a few brands. And, with all due respect to those of you who are using tires made outside the country, I hope you continue to have good luck with them. It's not necessarily a patriotism thing with me, although keeping the money at home is a good idea, it's just that I've heard so many horror stories from friends and have had such terrible luck with Chinese tires myself, that I'm not going to do that anymore if I can help it.

Depending on my continued research I hope to locate a manufacturer of decent tires here in the states.

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    JL I pull a boat trailer for a living and take a travel trailer when I escape. The camper has Power King Towmax tires - China made. But, for my boat trailer tires, and I go through them, - Carlisle is the only replacement I use. You want a bias ply for trailer tires. Don't just get auto radials that happen to fit.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Beatnic... it's appreciated.