Home Cigar 101

Harshness

big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
Ok so the last few sticks I've smoked have gotten bitter/ harsh towards the last 2 inches. I was wondering why this happens

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    big chunks:
    Ok so the last few sticks I've smoked have gotten bitter/ harsh towards the last 2 inches. I was wondering why this happens
    You may be smoking too fast. The stick heats up and gets harsh. Try slowing down.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there may be construction issues near the end. but chances are laker is right.
    kuzi16:
    there may be construction issues near the end. but chances are laker is right.
    I did think of that as well, but he mentioned his last few sticks going that way. Chances were much better that it was over heating than getting several poorly constructed sticks back to back. Evan my luxk is better then that LOL.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah...
    one other option i thought of was that it may be a psychological reason attached to what you said about smoking faster as well...
    lemme splain.
    as you get closer to the end, you tend to pay more attention to the cigar because you are unable to hold the cigar and "forget about it" for a while. therefore you puff on it more causing it to heat up.

again, just a thought.
    kuzi16:
    yeah...
    one other option i thought of was that it may be a psychological reason attached to what you said about smoking faster as well...
    lemme splain.
    as you get closer to the end, you tend to pay more attention to the cigar because you are unable to hold the cigar and "forget about it" for a while. therefore you puff on it more causing it to heat up.

again, just a thought.
    I have actually noticed that myself. It seems to me that a minute or two is much longer when the stick is down to the last couple inches lol. I also thought about the RH level in his huni. I have found that a stick that has been kept at a higher RH will burn hotter towards the end of the stick because of the higher moisture content of the stick. As the moisture burns off it heats up the stick, and causes it to become bitter. I wonder if this is because of not, incomplete combustion of the tobacco, but maybe because the tobacco dosen't burn as thouroughly as it would at a lower RH. That's just a personal theory of course but I have found that I don't have as many combustion problems with my sticks when kept in the mid 60's rather then low 70's.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    When it happens, try blowing thru the cigar instead of inhaling. Just one quick, medium strength puff of air - sometimes that helps.

• wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    When it happens, try blowing thru the cigar instead of inhaling. Just one quick, medium strength puff of air - sometimes that helps.

I used to pitch every stick I smoked with about 1.5-2" left. Then using what sniper suggested and taking very slow draws when I get into the 2-2.5" range I can now smoke and enjoy as far down as my fingers allow.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    i tried slowing down and it seemed to work, smoked my cigar to the nub, thanks for the advice
    Glad we could help.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    i tried slowing down and it seemed to work, smoked my cigar to the nub, thanks for the advice
    Kuzi16 hit the nail right on the head with his comments. I really have to make a concious effort to slow down as the cigar starts getting shorter. Its weird how when it gets to a certain point I just start huffing away.. its like I keep wanting to get one more drag in..
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Something else that I thought of this morning - you never mentioned how you cut your cigars (punch, V-cutter, guillotine, etc) or how deep you cut them if you are using a guillotine. The tar and other gunk tends to collect near the cut as you smoke along, so if you trim it back a little that can sometimes fix the problem too. Just be sure not to cut past the cap so it doesnt unravel on you!

• SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    This just occured to me this afternoon while I was keeping a MoWRuin in razor sharp burn. What if you punch holes along the lenght of the cigar, say 2 or 3, that you can plug up with your fingers while you draw. Would it help keeping the harshness from becoming too strong toward the end? I think I am going to try it sometime to see how it affects the flavor, too. With the holes the cigar won't heat up too much i'd guess that will affect the flaovr.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Schrooz:
    This just occured to me this afternoon while I was keeping a MoWRuin in razor sharp burn. What if you punch holes along the lenght of the cigar, say 2 or 3, that you can plug up with your fingers while you draw. Would it help keeping the harshness from becoming too strong toward the end? I think I am going to try it sometime to see how it affects the flavor, too. With the holes the cigar won't heat up too much i'd guess that will affect the flaovr.
    Hey, Necessity is the mother of invention, so go for it!

My guess is that the actual overheating comes from WHEN you are drawing in... So my assumption is that as you smoke, your finger will get mighty HOTT!

Again, I love the idea and if you do try it post the results!
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Schrooz:
    Your going to get some dilution of the flavors and such for sure.