Home General Discussion

Cigar Journal iPhone App?

Anyone know if a Cigar Journal App is in the works or exists already? I love to keep a note on everything I've had.

Comments

• dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go into the App Store and search "Cigar Journal" and a few come up. I've not tried either of them. I just use an app called Amazing Diary. It's a free diary app that works around a calendar. You can keep track of what you smoke each day, as well as detailed notes on each cigar. You can either make separate entries for each cigar, or make one entry with all your cigars for that day. It is also compatible with any/all emoticons and text applications that you have downloaded. I've been using it since December and I love it!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I have Mobile Stogie on the iPhone which lets you keep inventory as well as take review notes on cigars you have. That will definitely do what you're asking. If you don't need the inventory features though, I'd probably recommend Evernote, Sure, it's not officially a cigar journal app, but it'll definitely do the trick, plus you can access your notes from any computer in addition to your phone.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I have an Excel workbook that keeps track of all my stuff. It can do waaaay more than any app, I guarantee it! If you know how to use Excel I highly recommend putting something together for yourself. It has been a little project that I've taken on while out in the desert and has been well worth the time and effort.

JDE

JonathanE:
    I have an Excel workbook that keeps track of all my stuff. It can do waaaay more than any app, I guarantee it! If you know how to use Excel I highly recommend putting something together for yourself. It has been a little project that I've taken on while out in the desert and has been well worth the time and effort.

JDE

I have an excel workbook as well, and I agree...I can do way more with it. But I'm one of the lucky guys that has a non smoking policy in the house, so I'm never at my computer while I'm having a cigar. For this reason, I use my iPhone to record notes while enjoying my cigars. I can then fill in my Excel Ratings and Reviews workbook at any time.

I just downloaded a free voice-to-text app to help make the process a lil quicker and easier.

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • I use mobile stogie and it's pretty nice. You can have multiple humidors with your inventory in each one and review each stick, price paid, when you received it, etc. I dig it.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I use mobile stogie and it's pretty nice. You can have multiple humidors with your inventory in each one and review each stick, price paid, when you received it, etc. I dig it.
    Same here. I bought the new version of the app since it was sold to a new owner. That way I can get updates for the app now.

"Long ashes my friends."

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom:
    I just downloaded a free voice-to-text app to help make the process a lil quicker and easier.

Which iPhone app did you download? I tried Dragon but, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't do all it says it will do. I can dictate an e-mail but the only other options I see are for FaceBook, Twitter, etc. which I don't use at all. Any advice?

Once you dictate with Dragon, there's a little button you can click to send the text elsewhere. There should just be one to copy (directly right of the email button) which you can use to copy and paste the text into another program like Evernote, or notes, or Mobile Stogie.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! I'll give it a try. Thanks much.

• JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    dbeckom:
    JonathanE:

JDE

I have an excel workbook as well, and I agree...I can do way more with it. But I'm one of the lucky guys that has a non smoking policy in the house, so I'm never at my computer while I'm having a cigar. For this reason, I use my iPhone to record notes while enjoying my cigars. I can then fill in my Excel Ratings and Reviews workbook at any time.

Haha, right. I sometimes take my laptop out with me to smoke but mostly I just write it down on a form I built for myself... in Excel... to record notes on. I wish I could demonstrate my Excel file, if only for geewhiz purposes though. It even has a graph that shows my scoring trends!

JDE

• kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I use mobile stogie and it's pretty nice. You can have multiple humidors with your inventory in each one and review each stick, price paid, when you received it, etc. I dig it.

I got this app last night and loaded my humidor. I was surprised at the number of brands/cigars that weren't included in the pre-loaded options. I had to enter a ton of info on the MOW Virtue/Ruinaton and I couldn't find brands like La Perla Habana.

Still a really cool way to keep track of the inventory/ratings/reviews.
    JonathanE:
    dbeckom:
    JonathanE:

JDE

Haha, right. I sometimes take my laptop out with me to smoke but mostly I just write it down on a form I built for myself... in Excel... to record notes on. I wish I could demonstrate my Excel file, if only for geewhiz purposes though. It even has a graph that shows my scoring trends!

JDE

You've got me there...I don't have a graph. I would love to see how you've got yours set up though. Would you email it to me?

kevin1323:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I got this app last night and loaded my humidor. I was surprised at the number of brands/cigars that weren't included in the pre-loaded options. I had to enter a ton of info on the MOW Virtue/Ruinaton and I couldn't find brands like La Perla Habana. Still a really cool way to keep track of the inventory/ratings/reviews.
    That's exactly where I got with it. I started entering tons of different cigar types and eventually called it quits. Maybe I'll come back to it one day, but it might be worthwhile to use a format more open (like a spreadsheet).
    kevin1323:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I got this app last night and loaded my humidor. I was surprised at the number of brands/cigars that weren't included in the pre-loaded options. I had to enter a ton of info on the MOW Virtue/Ruinaton and I couldn't find brands like La Perla Habana. Still a really cool way to keep track of the inventory/ratings/reviews.
    did u update the database inventory? there are close to 10,000 cigars now.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    kevin1323:
    xIcedGuardianx:

I got this app last night and loaded my humidor. I was surprised at the number of brands/cigars that weren't included in the pre-loaded options. I had to enter a ton of info on the MOW Virtue/Ruinaton and I couldn't find brands like La Perla Habana.

oofah

I didn't do this. I just downloadededed the app from the app store and started inputing my humidor. How does one update this? I only saw something like 8,000 non cuban cigars.
    kevin1323:
    Krieg:
    kevin1323:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    oofah I didn't do this. I just downloadededed the app from the app store and started inputing my humidor. How does one update this? I only saw something like 8,000 non cuban cigars.
    Go into reference and click on the circle arrow in bottom right corner. Current count is over 9500

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    kevin1323:
    Krieg:
    kevin1323:
    xIcedGuardianx:

oofah

I didn't do this. I just downloadededed the app from the app store and started inputing my humidor. How does one update this? I only saw something like 8,000 non cuban cigars.

Go into reference and click on the circle arrow in bottom right corner. Current count is over 9500

Thanks man. That was easy.