Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar length and ring size

what effect does length and ring size have on the cigar?  Are you going to see a big difference between the same cigar in different lengths and ring sizes?  I am slowly educating myself on the cigar lifestyle.  It has been really entertaining.  I appreciate all the educated posts. 

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    To answer your first question, a fatter cigar, larger ring, will generally smoke cooler, conversely a smaller ring will smoke hotter if smoked quickly whereas the larger ring is more forgiving. The strength experienced can also be different, sometimes smaller ring cigars pack more of a punch. Length can develop complexity, it can also, in my opinion, turn a cigar that is good in a smaller format into a thoroughly boring one.

The short answer to your second question: yes and no. To expand on that, some cigar manufacturers will adjust the properties of a blend to achieve consistency among the different sizes. Others will keep the same blend regardless of size, this is where you'll see a difference. A good example that I have is the Padron 2000 versus the Padron 3000, the 2000 is a 5 x 50 robusto, the 3000 is 5.5 x 52, one half inch longer and 1/32 of an inch larger in diameter...the difference is quite noticeable in that the 2000 has a more pronounced strength, whereas the 3000 has an overall greater complexity and balance.

It is worth mentioning the idea of a wrapper to filler ratio. That is to say how much wrapper there is compared to the amount of filler. A smaller ring gauge will therefor have a higher wrapper:filler ratio and a fatter one will have a lower ratio. How this affects the cigar depends on where the majority of the flavor comes from, the wrapper or the filler. That last part is probably somewhat subjective as our tastes differ in what we prefer in a cigar.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The short answer to your second question: yes and no. To expand on that, some cigar manufacturers will adjust the properties of a blend to achieve consistency among the different sizes. Others will keep the same blend regardless of size, this is where you'll see a difference. A good example that I have is the Padron 2000 versus the Padron 3000, the 2000 is a 5 x 50 robusto, the 3000 is 5.5 x 52, one half inch longer and 1/32 of an inch larger in diameter...the difference is quite noticeable in that the 2000 has a more pronounced strength, whereas the 3000 has an overall greater complexity and balance.

It is worth mentioning the idea of a wrapper to filler ratio. That is to say how much wrapper there is compared to the amount of filler. A smaller ring gauge will therefor have a higher wrapper:filler ratio and a fatter one will have a lower ratio. How this affects the cigar depends on where the majority of the flavor comes from, the wrapper or the filler. That last part is probably somewhat subjective as our tastes differ in what we prefer in a cigar.
    yes to all of this.

to read more and for calculated "proof" click on my signature the blending 101 link and go to the top of the second page.