Home Cigar 101

La Perla Habana - Need Some Experience Here... <BR><BR>

The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
OK, so I broke my cardinal rule and didnt let sticks rest after travelling. Stick in question was a La Perla Habana perfecto and here,s what happened when I fired it up....

Sticks were sent without humidification and it is of course hot as blazes here. The stick spent all day today in the herfador in air conditioning, and when I lit it up outside in the heat this is what happened. Flavor was good, but the burn was awful the entire way, and the wrapper completely unraveled shortly after this picture was taken. You can see the split in the picture, along with the fraying wrapper near the burn line.

So my question is this - did this happen because I was a moron and didnt rest the sticks before I fired one up, or is this something thats been known to happen frequently with the La Perla Habana's and Black Pearls in general? Is it a size thing with them - Ive never had them in the perfecto, but have had them in the robusto and this did not happen with those.

This is muy importante, as I have three trades set up involving said sticks. Thanks for any and all feedback gentlemen, much appreciated.

Comments

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I have never had that problem with the LPH perfectos. I have had that problem with other perfectos
    I had a Gurkha Vulcan that I smoked ROTT when it was warmer without a rest and it split the same way.
    I think as it heats up it expands and if the wrapper is not at a good RH it cracks.
    Just my 2cents.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Arrrr... The Black Pearl cannot be manned by no normal creature! It takes a man of exceptional fortitude and a taste for the abnormal...

Ye be a fool if ye think that you can just grab the mast and sail away!

Yearrrrrr!
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a ton of La Pearla Habana cigars, but never had one with bad construction before.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Lasabar:
    Arrrr... The Black Pearl cannot be manned by no normal creature! It takes a man of exceptional fortitude and a taste for the abnormal...

Ye be a fool if ye think that you can just grab the mast and sail away!

Yearrrrrr!
    LOL If nobody's told you lately Lassie, we love ya!

Please keep the feedback on the Pearls coming fellas, its very much needed and appreciated.

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I have gone through almost a whole box of Black Pearl robusto's with never a bad one.. Consistency has been very good,,Actually I reach for this cigar when I want a no nonsense daily smoke.. Ive smoked alot of the other La Perla blends and only issue I had with some of those was taste.. I'm sorry, as I have no experience with the perfecto's.. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like that one had a flawed wrapper., Yep let em rest for a few days and give em another go.. Just curious how are the Maduros? compared to the black pearls?.. BTW IMO your doing the right thing by holding off on the trades.. I'd be happy to trade with you anytime!!!
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I have had several LPH without problems. I have had problems if I smoke anything too quickly after receiving it. In this heat with my last order I re-hydrated the humi-packs and keep them in the bags they came in for the first day to bring the temp down. Then I moved them into the humi and let them set for a week, just had one of them early this morning no problems. I think it has something to do with the heat and a fast move in the RH that causes this problem. Just an observation based on experience. If you had anything shipped without humidification I would let them rest for a while.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have smoked EVERY blend of the LPH line without issue. I think it was the combination of dry shipment and early torching. Let them rest a week and give it another try. They are excellent low cost sticks IMO
    The Kid:
    Just curious how are the Maduros? compared to the black pearls?
    Well Kid, Im gonna have to get back to you on this one, as the only LPH sticks Ive had have been the maddies, first in the robusto and now in the perfecto - was so blown away by them I had to order the sampler pack to try em all, which is what brought me to this point. Will try to remember to post impressions and comparisons as I work my way thru the different sticks, but I think anyone who enjoys a spicy maduro would enjoy the LPH.

The Sniper:
    The Kid:
    Just curious how are the Maduros? compared to the black pearls?
    Well Kid, Im gonna have to get back to you on this one, as the only LPH sticks Ive had have been the maddies, first in the robusto and now in the perfecto - was so blown away by them I had to order the sampler pack to try em all, which is what brought me to this point. Will try to remember to post impressions and comparisons as I work my way thru the different sticks, but I think anyone who enjoys a spicy maduro would enjoy the LPH.

The Maduro is a different blend than the Black Pearl...it's based on the classic filler blend with the Maduro wrapper. I had one a couple weeks ago and loved it. It's more on the mild side of medium, but has great flavors. The Black Pearl is a little more complex and has a bit more strength.

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    The Sniper:
    OK, so I broke my cardinal rule and didnt let sticks rest after travelling. Stick in question was a La Perla Habana perfecto and here,s what happened when I fired it up....

Sticks were sent without humidification and it is of course hot as blazes here. The stick spent all day today in the herfador in air conditioning, and when I lit it up outside in the heat this is what happened. Flavor was good, but the burn was awful the entire way, and the wrapper completely unraveled shortly after this picture was taken. You can see the split in the picture, along with the fraying wrapper near the burn line.

So my question is this - did this happen because I was a moron and didnt rest the sticks before I fired one up, or is this something thats been known to happen frequently with the La Perla Habana's and Black Pearls in general? Is it a size thing with them - Ive never had them in the perfecto, but have had them in the robusto and this did not happen with those.

This is muy importante, as I have three trades set up involving said sticks. Thanks for any and all feedback gentlemen, much appreciated.

I have a Gurkha Centurian in my hand now that looks just like that pic...and it's got over 6 months on it!

dbeckom:
    I have a Gurkha Centurian in my hand now that looks just like that pic...and it's got over 6 months on it!
    Thats because... its a Gurkha. :-D

The Sniper:
    dbeckom:
    Thats because... its a Gurkha. :-D

The Centurian is the only Gurkha I've ever had with construction issues. Theres a few that I don't care for the taste of...the Crest, Beast, Beauty, Sherpa, and the European Selections

• mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I have at least 3 boxes of LPH sittin in my coolie and I've never had any problems with them either. and I probably smoke at least 2 of them a week.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no problems here from any la perlas yet, james40 sent me some morados and after 1 day i smoked one to the nub that burned perfect
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I bought a box of Moradas I tried one ROTT, the end tended to unravel, tried another, same thing. 3-4 weeks later they were improved, but that whole box did it. Others, haven't. Might have just been luck of the draw, but, there was some improvement. Good luck, pretty good smokes when they hold together.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain