Home Ratings & Reviews

My Father El Hijo

image This 5.5

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    So far the Smoke Inn exclusives have been awesome, so I am looking forward to this. That said... the Fuente exclusive Smoke Inn stick... oh man, I cannnnnot wait.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    So far the Smoke Inn exclusives have been awesome, so I am looking forward to this. That said... the Fuente exclusive Smoke Inn stick... oh man, I cannnnnot wait.
    looking forward to these, suppose to ship 8-15
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    docbp87:

Info on this?
    chemforever:
    docbp87:
    Info on this?
    Apparently it was a project Fuente had done, produced the cigars, and then just set aside, stashed away somewhere. So Abe bought them, and they are going to be the Fuente part of the Microblends (what he calls the cigars that these different manufacturers are doing for him). This will be the only one he hasn't had a hand in the creation of/created specifically for him. Apparently they are on the milder side, especially compared to the three smokes he has released so far (Tat Anarchy, Padron SI-15, and now the El Hijo)
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got my conf. they have been shipped
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    Me too
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:
    jj20030:
    Me too
    USPS means they should be here in time for the So Cal Herf on Saturday.........To bad for Enfidel...........Good news for j0z3r.........
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    I wanted to give a side by side instead of a separate review. My stick from the onset had a floral smell similar to the smell I get from the Avion. Since Pete and Pepin are business partners I would venture to say the same wrapper but not 100%. The similarities are there but these are two different cigars.

Top cigar is the wrapper from the Avion and the bottom is the El Hijo.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Agree with Brian's prelight assessment up to the prelight draw. It is floral almost fruity. First draw is airy and light on the shaggy part.  Working into the wrapper smoke it firms up. Woody leather characteristics with the floral note in the nose and the pepper bite. Oak,  leather, tobacco,  a good bite, and finish is oily. About an inch in the chocolate comes to play. Second third the richness is evident and retrohale showing a bit of syrupy thickness, almost sweet flavor in the very back of the throat. I am picking up the earthiness and a powdered cocoa Brian described. Leather, cocoa, although I do note some nutty flavors of almond. Burn is perfect. Moving into the final third I do note a coffee richness.

The differences are minimal and can be from what points in the cigar the user takes their impression from, but I would agree with Brian's impressions on the stick. It is a must buy for me and a box is now on order for aging. My only hope is this becomes a regular production smoke. It is good gentlemen and it will be a great addition to any humidor.
    My understanding is that the wrapper used on the El Hijo is exclusive to that cigar, and was something special the Garcias offered to Abe, which he graciously accepted.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Interesting, my inital impression was that they were the same just by smell and taste, no imperical proof. So after your post I want to investigate further. Surfing several sites I think I found the diffence in the wrapper. The Avion is a maduro and the El Hijo is not, but they are both Equadorian Habano by a few sources. Im sure there are some differences, as in, where on the plant the tobacco was selected, year, aging, curing, and method. I have become interested lately in the smells and taste of wrappers and their origin. It very well could be exclusive due to numerous methods used on these wrappers, but it appears to be the same source.