Home Cigar 101

Humidor- ALL SET UP....one more quick ?

Well thanks to many of you here.  I have the humidor up and running and mainting a constant 65-68 RH.  Thanks for all the help.

What is the minimum amount of time a cigar should stay in the humidor before smoking it?  A resting period?  Also, the longer in the humidor the more smooth the cigar gets? 

Comments

• smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    Some cigars taste great without any age at all because alot of cigars get age on them in the factory or at the cigar shop. I have a friend who wont even touch his cigars though until they rest in his humi for at least two weeks i believe it is all personal preference. But i would agree alot of cigars improve with age and some are to young when u get them and with a little age they can mellow them out and really improve the flavor. Thats just what i have learned so far hope it helps.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    smokester:
    Some cigars taste great without any age at all because alot of cigars get age on them in the factory or at the cigar shop. I have a friend who wont even touch his cigars though until they rest in his humi for at least two weeks i believe it is all personal preference. But i would agree alot of cigars improve with age and some are to young when u get them and with a little age they can mellow them out and really improve the flavor. Thats just what i have learned so far hope it helps.
    I also like to let mine sit in my humi for a few weeks to get a nice cedar taste to them, and also let the sticks marry with each other.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    The great resting/aging debate.

Resting anywhere from 2 weeks to 12 months and aging anywhere from 6 months to 20+ years.
    The stronger the cigar the bigger the differences will be in taste the longer you age it. Lighter smokes tend to be better with less time. The Oliva rep I spoke to last month told me not to put more than a year on my G cammies b/c they won't hold flavor as long as the maduros.
    But resting is 'generally' 2 weeks to 6 months and it allows the cigar to get to YOUR desired rh while still allowing some time to get on them to add that fresh cedar flavor from the humidor. You shouldn't really pick up any flavors from other cigars unless they are the infused smokes. Some people like there cigars to be at a particular rh for smoking b/c it effects the flavor, draw and burn.
    Also, if you are aging, the cello will not effect it, it's preferable to be left on. It can be a good gauge too, the darker the cello gets the longer its been sitting.

Maybe Kuz and Maddy will jumped in on this...they both have a lot of good info on resting/aging.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of info on resting/aging. The truth of the matter though is that it is 100% opinion, no matter what anyone tells you. Almost all of us have some "resting period" that we prefer to let our smokes sit in our humi for, they range from 3-4 days(me) to 6 weeks minimum(kuzi), and up.

The bottom line is that whatever your opinion resting is just allowing your cigar to adjust to your prefered RH, while aging is allowing the cigar to change in some way shape or form.

Since you asked how long we prefer I'll give you my opinion. I'm not a big advocate of resting a few days is plenty of time IMO for a cigar to adjust to my prefered RH(68-70 in case you wanted to know).
    I'm also not a believer in the idea that resting a cigar longer will fix issues. I've had just as many crappy burning or plugged cigars after 3-4 days in my humi as I have after 6 months in. Yes if a cigar is over or under-humidified it will have issues, but in my experience once it returns to the appropriate RH it doesn't matter if its been that way for 3 days or 3 years.
    I'm also not a believer in aging cigars that you have not smoked fresh. IMHO the cigar was created to be smoked as it tastes today, many blenders also keep in mind what the cigar will taste like after it has had time to marry but it is still designed to be smoked today. I believe if you don't smoke a cigar immediately and just drop it into the humi and come back to it 6 weeks or more later, you have no basis on which to say that the cigar ages well or not. Now, typically I wouldn't say that 6 weeks is aging cigar but I have had cigars change noticably in a couple months. Typically, my smoking goes something like this. I smoke one at the B&M this is my fresh cigar, another in a couple weeks and then determine from there whether the rest I have will go in my aging humidor stay in the smoking now humidor.
    I look for certain things to determine whether my cigars will be aged. First if a cigar doesn't have a full flavor to it it is not going to be aged as the aging process almost always mellows a cigar. If the cigar is on the weaker side of flavor to begin with it'll be bland after aging. A cigar that is a no brainer for aging to me is one that has a very dominant flavor. My theory is that after a little box time that flavor will mellow and it will gain complexity. Sometimes this is true, sometimes not.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    There is a lot of info on resting/aging. The truth of the matter though is that it is 100% opinion, no matter what anyone tells you. Almost all of us have some "resting period" that we prefer to let our smokes sit in our humi for, they range from 3-4 days(me) to 6 weeks minimum(kuzi), and up.
    yup. 6 weeks.

its not age at all. i like to keep cigars as long as i bear not to smoke them because i do enjoy a smoother cigar in general. thats why i let almost all of my cigars sit for so long.

i have also smoked a cigar that was over a year old and still had plenty of power. (don carlos)
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    yup. 6 weeks.

its not age at all. i like to keep cigars as long as i bear not to smoke them because i do enjoy a smoother cigar in general. thats why i let almost all of my cigars sit for so long.

i have also smoked a cigar that was over a year old and still had plenty of power. (don carlos)
    Wow, over a year? Never had a don carlos, must have been one helluva Full Bodied cigar to sit for that long and still have a kick!

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    yup. 6 weeks.

Wow, over a year? Never had a don carlos, must have been one helluva Full Bodied cigar to sit for that long and still have a kick!
    You do have to take that with a grain of salt, kuzi is from Ohio, one football season out there feels like 2 years to them.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    yup. 6 weeks.

I just smoked a Don Carlos aging of 2 years. It was great. I have one more. Gonna see if I can make it to 3 years.
  • I ordered a five pack of a few different brands of cigars.  I suppose i'll give it a test and see which way I prefer the most.  How do most of you remember how long a cigar has been sitting in your humi for?

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    tuckaholic:
    How do most of you remember how long a cigar has been sitting in your humi for?
    Several people here number and catalog there cigars to keep track of how long they've had them. Me personally, I rely on my memory to serve as a rough estimate of how long I've had them.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    When I started this hobby last summer, I had this grand, Dutyesque plan of spreadsheets, charts, file drawers full of data. I was going to inventory and track cigars, develop a rating system, etc. So the most elaborate thing I've done - I pull the bands off and keep em in the notebook so I know what I tried. I haven't even kept track of whether I liked them. For the most part, I can remember about when I got what in my humidor, and I remember what I liked.

There was one 5 Vegas that I didn't like at all - I can't remember what it was, Miami, A - and one I liked very much? Crap...I'll have to smoke em both again.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    tuckaholic:

I ordered a five pack of a few different brands of cigars.  I suppose i'll give it a test and see which way I prefer the most.  How do most of you remember how long a cigar has been sitting in your humi for?

Mostly memory but sometimes I need to go back to my accounts and see when I ordered something. If it is something really nice like the GOFm Partagas 150 or the Don Carlos 30th, those are kind of hard to forget.
    madurofan:
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    yup. 6 weeks.

You do have to take that with a grain of salt, kuzi is from Ohio, one football season out there feels like 2 years to them.
    LOL, I laughed for about 5 minutes with that one.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    madurofan:
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    yup. 6 weeks.

it would feel that way to me if i gave two **** about football... let alone ohio football.

how do you keep the browns out of your back yard?

set up goal posts.
    kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    madurofan:
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    yup. 6 weeks.

it would feel that way to me if i gave two **** about football... let alone ohio football.

how do you keep the browns out of your back yard?

set up goal posts.
    That **** right there is funny!
  • We'll Kuzi... at least your not the dreaded ohio state fan.  Me being a die hard maize and blue guy myself it wouldn't work real well. LOL.
    tuckaholic:
    We'll Kuzi... at least your not the dreaded ohio state fan.  Me being a die hard maize and blue guy myself it wouldn't work real well. LOL.
    So what do you think of that bum Rodriguez?
    bum isnt the word
    The town where he's from in WV used to have a sign that said "Hometown of Rich Rodriguez". It was torn down the same day he accepted the Michigan job.

Les Miles should've taken that job I know the buyout was crazy but most LSU fans I've been around think he's overrated and was just winning with what Saban left him.
    I can understand what LSU is saying but I think he is a good coach even in the SEC. But if the media had not broke speculation as factual news right before his big game last year he may have gone to Michigan.
    Bad Andy:
    I can understand what LSU is saying but I think he is a good coach even in the SEC. But if the media had not broke speculation as factual news right before his big game last year he may have gone to Michigan.
    You're probably right.
  • As far as keeping track of how long I've had cigars, masking tape and a sharpie work pretty effing well.
  • madurofan:
    tuckaholic:
    We'll Kuzi... at least your not the dreaded ohio state fan.  Me being a die hard maize and blue guy myself it wouldn't work real well. LOL.

We'll its his first year.  Implementing a new system with the wrong pieces.  I'll give him another year then make my mind up on him.

• bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    tuckaholic:

madurofan:
    tuckaholic:

We'll its his first year.  Implementing a new system with the wrong pieces.  I'll give him another year then make my mind up on him.

Hrmm, an understanding fan for "that team up north". I've met a few of you, but I don't count on meeting too many more! Too bad they can't come to some kind of understanding in West By-God. He's obviously a decent coach, look what he did at WVU. I agree on giving him at least another year, that system seems like it could take a couple to start working out. Then, they may start scaring some of us who bleed scarlet and grey.
  • He's also implementing a system that many teams already run.  When he was WVU, the spread was far less common making it that much more difficult to defend.  With that being said,  I think the right pieces and teaching the new system could be the answer.  You can't go from a coach like conservative carr to richrod and expect it to run status quo.  Those two coaches are about as far from each other on the spectrum when it comes to coaching styles as anyone could possibly get.
    tuckaholic:
    You can't go from a coach like conservative carr to richrod and expect it to run status quo.  Those two coaches are about as far from each other on the spectrum when it comes to coaching styles as anyone could possibly get.
    This is what made Rodriguez's hiring such a bad one. By hiring him Michigan wasted a very talented football team.

Very few if any of the players Carr recruited will work in Rods system. You make those kind of drastic changes to a team that has no talent not to a team that has a ton of talent but was a little dissappointing. I understand losing to App State was more than a little dissappointing to Michigan fans but the team still had a decent season even after that loss. You don't blow the whole thing up and start over.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I think Carr was on his way out as it was...too many losses to Jim Tressel, but I agree about the waste of a talented team

Damn, did I just say "that team up north" was talented?