Home General Discussion

Obsidians by PDR

Ok so I cant find much on these. I saw them on the latest CCom mag and I like PDRs so I plunked down on a box $55 dollars total for 20, wow. Yet singles are 7 bucks. I dont get the pricing on these and no five paks so box was the only option. I cant even find them on PDR facebook or website. Any opinions on these? I will review the next week when they arrive but I need some hype.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Not impressed with them, hope some downtime straightens them out. Just seemed harsh without a lot of flavor going on.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    j0z3r:
    Not impressed with them, hope some downtime straightens them out. Just seemed harsh without a lot of flavor going on.
    Man you are missing it... Harsh is the new flavor.

• BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Thanks for the input. All the PDRs seem to need some time which is ok with me. I'ill give an initial review and then see how they develop over 3-6-12 months. Smokin a PDR now which upon my initial impressions I also found too harsh but here I am a year later and wow. Here is to being hopeful on the Obsidians.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    j0z3r:

lmao...in that case, I'll have Tim set me up with a few boxes.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    These aren't on the PDR website or facebook, because they aren't PDR's. I'm pretty sure they are just made at the same factory, for CCom/CI. Just like the Particulares are "from the makers of" Illusione, and Viaje, and all the other brands made at Raices Cubanas... but they aren't Illusione or Viajes.
    docbp87:
    These aren't on the PDR website or facebook, because they aren't PDR's. I'm pretty sure they are just made at the same factory, for CCom/CI. Just like the Particulares are "from the makers of" Illusione, and Viaje, and all the other brands made at Raices Cubanas... but they aren't Illusione or Viajes.

I thought they were PDR. Here is the CCom intro

From the makers of Pinar del Rio enters Obsidian, featuring Cuban-seed long leaves from Nicaragua and the Dominican masked by a creamy, dark, and super oily Brazilian Habano ligero wrapper.

Maybe they just make them for CCom?
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    These are made for us by Pinar del Rio exclusively. Contract production. ODR does not own the trademark,they are merely manufacturing.
    Thank you Alex, Doc is correct then. Are these also blended by Abe?
    BlueRings:
    Kind of, sounds like they are actually made by PDR, not just at the factory.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    j0z3r:

Must be the 'Obsidian' name itself...it's cursed!!!
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    BlueRings:
    Yes to both. PDR us one if the rare cases for a boutique it's size where they truley do have their own factory. They are not at a size yet where they are growing or processing their own tobacco but they blend very very well. Yes Abe blended this one. I had no involvement. As soon a I smoked it I thought it was great and needed no changes. These will age well.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    docbp87:
    BlueRings:
    Yes to both. PDR us one if the rare cases for a boutique it's size where they truley do have their own factory. They are not at a size yet where they are growing or processing their own tobacco but they blend very very well. Yes Abe blended this one. I had no involvement. As soon a I smoked it I thought it was great and needed no changes. These will age well.
    Alex, you have a pm

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    Alex Svenson:
    docbp87:
    BlueRings:
    Yeah, I always wondered it the factory where PDR does their stuff was owned by PDR, or what. Very cool.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    So these share only the name with the earlier Padilla Obsidians? I enjoyed those, but had to dry box them for a while to get a decent burn. Still have most of a box that's a few years old.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Have to say that while I have not smoked these, PDR is probably my favorite brand currently. They have been putting out some amazing sticks at very reasonable prices. I have a lot of their tobacco in my humi currently. Of course that will change as I plan to smoke em all!