Home General Discussion

Question: Whats the Best Conneticut Cigar

Hello Gents
In terms of flavor as well as overall. What is the best conneticut or cenneticut shade wrapped cigar in your opinion. I am trying to consider my options for my next order. Something not too strong and again has tons of flavor.

Thanks

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I don't know what the best is per se, but I can recommend some goods ones for you: Graycliff G2, Oliva Connecticut Reserve, Gurkha Park Ave, Rocky Patel Vintage '99. Those are a few I've had that I found great.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Is cost a function?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Depends entirely on taste; I like a Perdomo 10th Anniv. Champagne better than a GOF by Don Carlos (Carlito is a different story; I like that one)
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    The Davidoff 2000, and the Gran Habano #1 are in my top spots for mild connies.
    For Sungrown Connie the Gurkha Centurian.

Actually I think the 2000 may be a sungrown as well.
    Kuzi needs to weigh in on this.

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I'm a big fan of the Davidoff Classic No.2
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Stradivarius
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Gran Habano #1, MOW Virtue, CAO Gold are my favorites (not having much of a budget for Davidoffs).
  • I second the MoW Virtue and raise you an Avo. If you can't go Davidoff, go Avo ( same company). For the money, 5 Vegas Gold is a good one too.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    y2pascoe:
    I don't know what the best is per se, but I can recommend some goods ones for you: Graycliff G2, Oliva Connecticut Reserve, Gurkha Park Ave, Rocky Patel Vintage '99. Those are a few I've had that I found great.

Yeah, for the money these are good. I find the Graycliff one dimensional but milds have never been my thing. When if find one that stands out I grab them. These all stand out. I would add MOW Virtue too.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Value:
    MOW Virtue
    RyJ Reserva Real
    Oliva Conn Reserve
    Predomo 10 anni champange
    RP Vintage 99

Bit more $
    AVO
    AVO 787

Bit More $$
    Davidoff
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    C.com purple lable and Graycliff G2
    One God, One Truth
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The problem with Connecticuts is that there are so many out there that use poor quality tobacco, and end up tasting papery, and grassy, and ultimately... gross. Unfortunately this has given the really full flavored, good quality Connecticut Shade wrapped cigars a bad name. Really recommend:
    Camacho Connecticut
    EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut
    Davidoff Classic and Grand Cru series
    AVO Classic
    Cabaiguan
    Nat Sherman V.I.P.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    RoyalCigars:
    Hello Gents In terms of flavor as well as overall. What is the best conneticut or cenneticut shade wrapped cigar in your opinion. I am trying to consider my options for my next order. Something not too strong and again has tons of flavor. Thanks
    Hi Royal,

Start by narrowing it down some by country of original of the wrapper. I find a great deal of difference between the countries who grow connecticut which seems to be ever growing. Real Connecticut shade is grown under cheese cloths in the Connecticut. It is very expensive and only a handful of brands use it still including Macanudo and Davidoff. Then there is ecuador where I estimate about 90% of all Connecticutt wrapper brands source their wrapper. Same seed or some slight genetic changes to adapt to the soil there but this does not use cheese cloths and as such, is considerably less expensive. That said, the natural cloud cover in ecuador provides natural shade that is equal to that provided by the cloths in connecticut. Where as connecticut shade grown has a more bronze color, Ecuador connecticut has more of a golden or even orange hugh. Lesser known varieties are also sun or shade grown (mainly shade with cloths) in Mexico, Honduras and Nicaragua. Honduran shade has been used primarily for machine made cigars growing in the Talanga region but just last year the first crop from Plasencia for premium cigars was grown in an area outside Jamastran using cloths. This wrapper is very tasty. The appearance is like ecuador but in my opinion it has more flavor. I believe General Cigar bought most of the first crop and it is being used on the new La Gloria Cubana Retro which was a favorite of mine at the show and also got great reviews from Dave Savona (editor of cigar aficionado).

My advice call Tim and have him make you a pack to try with the following. I am omitting Mexico and Nicaraguan grown as there are very few brands on the market with connecticut grown in said contries and I honestly am not a fan anyway.

Connecticut Connecticut: Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park and Davidoff Special R, Fuente Double Chateau, Ashton Magnum

Connecticut Ecuador: Man O War Virtue, the new San Cristobal Eligencia, 5 Vegas Gold Connecticut Honduras: Vegas Talanga and La Gloria Cubana Retro

Once you break it down and decide what country you like, then you can really try more things having narrowed down your list and save time and money by throwing darts.

I know the Macanudo is not a crowd favorite among the die hards and boutique fans but they have a very interesting proprietary process where the tobacco is shipped every winter from the dominican to Mass in the US north east where it ages in cold temperatures for the wintter. It is for their wrapper only. From a scientific perspecttive it promotes how the cells open and close (expand and contract) during fermentation and is fascinating. I just wrote an article on it that will be published in our catalog this fall but I will post online in the next week or so for those who are interested.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    RoyalCigars:
    Hello Gents In terms of flavor as well as overall. What is the best conneticut or cenneticut shade wrapped cigar in your opinion. I am trying to consider my options for my next order. Something not too strong and again has tons of flavor. Thanks
    Hi Royal,

Start by narrowing it down some by country of original of the wrapper. I find a great deal of difference between the countries who grow connecticut which seems to be ever growing. Real Connecticut shade is grown under cheese cloths in the Connecticut. It is very expensive and only a handful of brands use it still including Macanudo and Davidoff. Then there is ecuador where I estimate about 90% of all Connecticutt wrapper brands source their wrapper. Same seed or some slight genetic changes to adapt to the soil there but this does not use cheese cloths and as such, is considerably less expensive. That said, the natural cloud cover in ecuador provides natural shade that is equal to that provided by the cloths in connecticut. Where as connecticut shade grown has a more bronze color, Ecuador connecticut has more of a golden or even orange hugh. Lesser known varieties are also sun or shade grown (mainly shade with cloths) in Mexico, Honduras and Nicaragua. Honduran shade has been used primarily for machine made cigars growing in the Talanga region but just last year the first crop from Plasencia for premium cigars was grown in an area outside Jamastran using cloths. This wrapper is very tasty. The appearance is like ecuador but in my opinion it has more flavor. I believe General Cigar bought most of the first crop and it is being used on the new La Gloria Cubana Retro which was a favorite of mine at the show and also got great reviews from Dave Savona (editor of cigar aficionado).

My advice call Tim and have him make you a pack to try with the following. I am omitting Mexico and Nicaraguan grown as there are very few brands on the market with connecticut grown in said contries and I honestly am not a fan anyway.

Connecticut Connecticut: Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park and Davidoff Special R, Fuente Double Chateau, Ashton Magnum

Connecticut Ecuador: Man O War Virtue, the new San Cristobal Eligencia, 5 Vegas Gold Connecticut Honduras: Vegas Talanga and La Gloria Cubana Retro

Once you break it down and decide what country you like, then you can really try more things having narrowed down your list and save time and money by throwing darts.

I know the Macanudo is not a crowd favorite among the die hards and boutique fans but they have a very interesting proprietary process where the tobacco is shipped every winter from the dominican to Mass in the US north east where it ages in cold temperatures for the wintter. It is for their wrapper only. From a scientific perspecttive it promotes how the cells open and close (expand and contract) during fermentation and is fascinating. I just wrote an article on it that will be published in our catalog this fall but I will post online in the next week or so for those who are interested.
    WOW, Thanks Alex appreciate the info there!!!
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    How about 601 black for a non traditional conny. Rich full bodied Nica filler with an Ecuadorian Conny wrap I believe. Very different and really good.

Oops scratch that you said somthing not very strong my bad.
    gaberox:
    How about 601 black for a non traditional conny. Rich full bodied Nica filler with an Ecuadorian Conny wrap I believe. Very different and really good. Oops scratch that you said somthing not very strong my bad.
    Speaking of non traditional whats your take on the camacho conny?
    The Kid:
    gaberox:
    How about 601 black for a non traditional conny. Rich full bodied Nica filler with an Ecuadorian Conny wrap I believe. Very different and really good.

Havent had one, if its a full body conny Id love to try it. I enjoy the contrast of the strong filler with the buttery smooth wrapper. only camachos ive had are x3 mady and coyolar.
    gaberox:
    The Kid:
    gaberox:
    How about 601 black for a non traditional conny. Rich full bodied Nica filler with an Ecuadorian Conny wrap I believe. Very different and really good. Oops scratch that you said somthing not very strong my bad.
    Havent had one, if its a full body conny Id love to try it. I enjoy the contrast of the strong filler with the buttery smooth wrapper. only camachos ive had are x3 mady and coyolar.
    I dont think its a full bodied smoke, pretty sure its in the medium range, I havent tried one, I've read mixed reviews but most of the negative ones were written on the larger vitola's
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    gaberox:
    I haven't had a whole lot of Connecticut wrapped cigars, but the 601 Black is my favorite Connie...I love em!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    dbeckom:
    The Kid:
    gaberox:

I haven't had a whole lot of Connecticut wrapped cigars, but the 601 Black is my favorite Connie...I love em!

Shame the blacks are long gone, replaced by the 601 white. I only have 2 blacks left.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    For those of you who miss the 601 black, be sure to check out the new san cristobal. Also connecticut and also pepin made. It is definately a richer and stronger connecticut. It is called elegencia and ships out in a month or two.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    My favorite every day Connie at the moment is the Verdadero Organic. I am absolutely in love with this cigar. Smooth and totally unique.

I also recently had my first Cusano 18 Double Connie, and it was simply outstanding.
    Alex Svenson:
    For those of you who miss the 601 black, be sure to check out the new san cristobal. Also connecticut and also pepin made. It is definately a richer and stronger connecticut. It is called elegencia and ships out in a month or two.
    WIll DO, I picked up on that in your previous post, good to know when it will be released,, Thanks again
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    ndhaon91:
    My favorite every day Connie at the moment is the Verdadero Organic. I am absolutely in love with this cigar. Smooth and totally unique. I also recently had my first Cusano 18 Double Connie, and it was simply outstanding.
    +1, that's another great one.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    RoyalCigars:
    Hi Royal,

well, someone way up there said i should weigh in on this.
    i was gunna ask if it had to be a true connie and if not or if so... but it seems to me that Alex has this one covered.
    if it was to weigh in on the davidoff thousand series, that is a real connie (if im not mistaken, i know they do use a Ecuadorian on some blend) and the 2000 is the best of the line up (IMHO).

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    The ccom Purple Label is fantastic, as is the 5 Vegas Gold.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    MOW Virtue is my fav connie so far