Home Cigar 101

The Cuban crafters cigar scissors

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
They got the round end that cuts around all sides at once.they look pretty cool. Just wondering how good they work. Anyone got one?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    They got the round end that cuts around all sides at once.they look pretty cool. Just wondering how good they work. Anyone got one?
    If you're talking about the 3 blade one the Revolucion or something, I have it..

Pretty cool and does well to NOT crack the head of the cigar. But two things:
    1. All three blades go toward the center so it usually lives a little bump right in the middle of your cigar (not a big deal, but not as smooth as my Palio cutter)
    2. On a big ring gauge cigar the handle just came off... It has a lifetime warranty, but it shouldn't have broke
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol just came off. That sucks. Saw a couple on eBay and thought they looked pretty neat.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you want a good pair of scissors, my advice would be to pick up a set of Xikar MTX scissors. I was gifted a set of the triple blade, cut all sides at once kind, and the only thing it did for me was tear the wrapper...not saying that's the norm, but you can probably guess how many times I used them after that.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Lasabar:
    Rhamlin:
    If you're talking about the 3 blade one the Revolucion or something, I have it..

1. All three blades go toward the center so it usually lives a little bump right in the middle of your cigar (not a big deal, but not as smooth as my Palio cutter)
    2. On a big ring gauge cigar the handle just came off... It has a lifetime warranty, but it shouldn't have broke
    I have that one as well. It has been serving me well. Have not had the problem with breakage yet. Hopefully it won't happen.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    granneja:
    Lasabar:
    Rhamlin:

I have that one as well. It has been serving me well. Have not had the problem with breakage yet. Hopefully it won't happen.
    No, the thing is UBER cool... But a Gloria Cubana Serie N at the big gauge just tore it's shlt UP!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    If you want a good pair of scissors, my advice would be to pick up a set of Xikar MTX scissors. I was gifted a set of the triple blade, cut all sides at once kind, and the only thing it did for me was tear the wrapper...not saying that's the norm, but you can probably guess how many times I used them after that.
    This. The XiKar MTX scissors are phenomenal. They works great on any vitola, in any size.

As for the crazy Cuban Crafters 3 blade scissors, I've used them twice and never had a good experience. They leave a sort of lumpy stair-step shape cut, because as the three blades come together they are at different heights.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Got the same one Lassie does-----I agree with his assessment totally. Its also hard to lose due to its size---which is nice for me.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Don't know if will help out but try cutting with the cello on it helps keep it from tearing.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'm really tempted to try scissors just because of their coolness factor, but I usually smoke large ring gauges - the smallest I smoke is 54, and when I check the Xikar site, the largest recommended gauge for the MXT is 54 :/
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    I'm really tempted to try scissors just because of their coolness factor, but I usually smoke large ring gauges - the smallest I smoke is 54, and when I check the Xikar site, the largest recommended gauge for the MXT is 54 :/
    It might say that, but I can assure you the MTX scissors will cut a 60 with ease...that is, if you cut a cigar like I do, I only take a sliver off the top, enough to expose the fillers.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    xmacro:
    It might say that, but I can assure you the MTX scissors will cut a 60 with ease...that is, if you cut a cigar like I do, I only take a sliver off the top, enough to expose the fillers.
    +1 on only a sliver..I used to own the xikar. loved it, very handy tool. suprised about the 54 max, as I remember using those on the bigger ring sticks when the guiolltine i had was too small.