Home Cigar 101

burn lines and ash

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Ok, with a straight burn line, you are smoking perfect.
When you ash, and there is more ash in the middle of the cigar that around it, making a point, are you (me) smoking too slow? and if the ash is concave am I smoking too fast?
But then today, the line was straight, but when the ash fell it was pointed, kinda confused.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    You have it backwards... there.

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Cone and the wrapper is smoking faster than the tobacco, too fast. Inverted and the tobacco is burning faster than the wrapper, too slow...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    You want the wrapper to be infront of the filler (CRUDE DRAWING ALERT!) [====>
    That's a cigar with the head (part that goes in your mouth) on the left and the ember on the right. I find you want to have a "Slight Cone"... I like the look and that's where the taste is perfect for me. If you have the opposite and you have a divot on your ember you are smoking too slow as stated before
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    thanks fellas.
    One God, One Truth
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm that's a new tidbit I didn't know almost all my embers are like that and I thought I was smoking pretty fast. Can you moisten the wrapper a little to overcome this or do I need to just smoke faster?
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Cone about 1/4 to 1/8 diameter of cigar. Kuzi can probably point you to the link where Alex discusses this.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Cone about 1/4 to 1/8 diameter of cigar. Kuzi can probably point you to the link where Alex discusses this.
    1/2 but yeah thats about right. i couldnt find the link but the info you posted is accurate.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    beatnic:
    Exactly. A small cone is ideal, but if your cigar looks like something a caveman would hunt wooly mammoth with... you are smoking too fast.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Ive found sipping on a cigar too much and not drawing strong enough can cause tunneling. This happens to me way too often espesially with the thicker wrappers. I like to sip though beacuse I feel I get more complex and refined flavors. Cooler smoke as well.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    gaberox:
    Ive found sipping on a cigar too much and not drawing strong enough can cause tunneling. This happens to me way too often espesially with the thicker wrappers. I like to sip though beacuse I feel I get more complex and refined flavors. Cooler smoke as well.
    you can take a long draw and get a bunch of smoke. just make sure the draw is long and soft.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    kuzi16:
    gaberox:
    you can take a long draw and get a bunch of smoke. just make sure the draw is long and soft.

True, its also interesting to note the difference in flavor between a smaller draw and a deeper draw. As long as your getting even burn of wrapper/binder/filler of course.