Home Cigar 101

Cello wrap question....

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
Does the cello wrap breathe because one end is open?
Or would it breathe even if the open end was taped shut, such as with a "humidor entry date" sticker?
thanks

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Cello is a porous material, the cigars "breathe" just fine with it on.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    x2
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    very true. Cellophane was designed to be water proof but not moisture proof or air proof.
    its pretty much the perfect thing to cover a cigar for mild protection.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    very true. Cellophane was designed to be water proof but not moisture proof or air proof.
    I can attest to the waterproofedness (sp?) of the cello. I had a cigar under my boat seat a while back and ended up getting flagged over to come rescue some stranded idiots. Instead of climbing in over the transom or letting me help them in they just pulled down the gunwale and slopped themselves in, along with many gallons of water. I didn't think about my cigar until it came floating out from under the seat - totally still dry inside and smoked fine! Oh yeah! That alone made me like cello just a little bit more.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    I can attest to the waterproofedness (sp?) of the cello. I had a cigar under my boat seat a while back and ended up getting flagged over to come rescue some stranded idiots. Instead of climbing in over the transom or letting me help them in they just pulled down the gunwale and slopped themselves in, along with many gallons of water. I didn't think about my cigar until it came floating out from under the seat - totally still dry inside and smoked fine! Oh yeah! That alone made me like cello just a little bit more.
    Damn, I guess no good deed goes unpunished. At least the stick survived!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Et you wanted to toss them back in when you saw your gar floating around:)
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Cellophane is actually made from vegetable matter if I remember correctly. I actually wish all cigars came wrapped in cellophane, because it has no effect on humidity and temperature, protects the cigar from getting banged up (prevents cracked, torn wrappers, etc) when I drunkenly re-organize my humidor, and actually keeps the aroma of the cigar stronger in my experience (for example, two of the same cigar, in my possession for a few months, one in cello, the other not, after a few months, the one not in cello will have lost the potency of it's aroma, but the one in cello will often be as pungent and bold in smell as the day I got it). Like I said, I wish all cigars came packaged in cellophane.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Cellophane is actually made from vegetable matter if I remember correctly. I actually wish all cigars came wrapped in cellophane, because it has no effect on humidity and temperature, protects the cigar from getting banged up (prevents cracked, torn wrappers, etc) when I drunkenly re-organize my humidor, and actually keeps the aroma of the cigar stronger in my experience (for example, two of the same cigar, in my possession for a few months, one in cello, the other not, after a few months, the one not in cello will have lost the potency of it's aroma, but the one in cello will often be as pungent and bold in smell as the day I got it). Like I said, I wish all cigars came packaged in cellophane.
    this has to do with air exchange. i have noticed the same thing. i think cello ages a bit slower but im good with that.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:
    docbp87:
    this has to do with air exchange. i have noticed the same thing. i think cello ages a bit slower but im good with that.
    They only argue their point so vehemently because they know guys like me will pop in. I like my ladies naked. I don't play with my cigars when drunk.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    beatnic:
    They only argue their point so vehemently because they know guys like me will pop in. I like my ladies naked. I don't play with my cigars when drunk.
    I like my cigars naked. The ladies can get as drunk as they want so I can play with them.

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    hahaha, I'll chime in to agree with the no cello crowd here just becuase. The look and the smell of my humi when I open it for me makes up for the fact that I have to be just a little bit more careful with them. Sure I get a few cracks here and there, but most of the cracks occur at the foot of the cigar, which gets burned rather quickly and living in the dry state of CA its never caused any burn issues.

Personal choice on the cello but I do agree with all the cello on guys input, it doesn't really have a downside, it ages just fine and thats cool its so water proof. haha. I just don't want plastic in my humi.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I use to go naked, but then once some of the foots started to get cracked I went cello-on.  But I move my cigars around once a week with shipments and trades and its nice when you aren't sending cigars that look like they were dropped all over the floor...IMO
  • cello rocks back in the day they used to put foil around them i love seeing the look of cellophane on a very aged cigar!
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I took the cello off my first order of cigars. Didn't take me much longer than that to realize that I love rummaging through things, and that habit didn't work out well with unprotected sticks.