Home Cigar 101

"Wet Sock" Cigar

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just lit up a Padron maduro londres, and the only thing I can say is that it feels and tastes like I just chewed on a soggy sock. 1/3 in it turned veeerrry bitter, and I was done. Prior to smoking this particular cigar, maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago I clipped it and noticed a fairly tight draw. Definitely too tight to smoke, so I let it rest a while and have checked it a few times since. My question is, would that premature cut and subsequent test draws affect the flavor? (some saliva remaining on the tip) Or was this a product of being still overly humidified? (had been resting in my humi at 68% 69 degrees for almost a month) I believe it did get a little over humidified for a couple days (traveling, bought a new humi, seasoned it, had this cigar in a bag with pillows) but that's been almost 2 months ago. Furthermore, would being in an a/c environment at above mentioned conditions, then going outside to a warmer fairly humid environment affect it? Condensation or something? I know these cigars are usually great, there's just so many factors that could've ruined it, and Im not sure which to blame, if any.
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Could have just been a bad stick? My first guess would be that leaving it for a few weeks after you clipped it may have opened it to more air flow and humidity. Too bad it was such a tight draw when first clipped, but I don't think leaving it for weeks after clipping is a good idea, but that't just my opinion.
    Calibrate your equipment to make sure it's accurate and I hope your next smoke is better!

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Not sure about the flavor, possibly just a dud. Did you notice any large veins or stems in the filler? Sometimes the tree-branches that occasionally make their way into filler can often cause both intense bitterness and a tight draw. I know that it is sometimes recommended to put a cigar back in the humidor after cutting if you notice a tight draw. This only works though if you put the cigar into lower humidity than it has been stored in (in fact, dryboxing is actually what you should do). Honestly, it was probably just a construction issue.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I have to toss in my experiences with this. NEVER NEVER NEVER clip & put the cigar in your mouth & add your saliva to the clipped end, then put your cigar back in the humi for a few days or a week or 2. I had done this starting out smoking & I think its maybe dangerous as far as mold/possibly bacteria accumulating in your precious stash. Note this wouldn't account for the bad flavor/experience you had, I just know I ONLY once clipped and placed the cigar in my mouth then put it back in my humi & I had an awful experience with the cigar I did it to. I have clipped many times & changed my mind & put it back, thats fine as far as I'm concerned, I would just warn against salivating the end & placing it back with your other precious stored cigars. No reason why, I just felt it ruined my cigar & if I remember I had white fluffys growing on that cigar within a day or 2. I have several I clipped & put back and theyre fine, but i'll never enter my mouth bacteria back into my humidor again. Maybe I'm just crazy but I felt like I learned my lesson the only time I did that.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did notice what looked like the end of a twig or stick poking out just a little, so this could have been the problem. I do have an empty small humidor I will now use to drybox if this ever happens again! I will def play it safe in regard to the bacteria/mold issue too. Dont want that!! Thanks guys, all good ideas.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America