Home Non Cigar Related

GO GATORS

CONGRATS BOYS!!!

Comments

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    So who's the BCS champion, Texas? I tease...congrats. Can't say I'm a big fan of the Gators thought.
  • StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    While the gators beat the sooners Utah should be the national champions or at the very least be playing for it. It just proves once again how retarded the Bowl system and the BCS really are.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I agree Utah should get to play for it, though not that they should be the champs as things stand now.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Agreed, Utah should have been there, but in my opinion Texas should have been there over OU. But it's the BCS... It's not supposed to make sense... It's supposed to give ESPN and radio talk shows something to discuss...
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I agree that the BCS is crap. Utah did go undefeated and beat Alabama in their bowl game. They should be #2 for sure. The Coaches poll dissed them though, left them at #4. SEC has won it 3 years in a row now...hopefully the critics will see that we are a very strong conference. And I questioned the Big-12 defenses since the OU/UT game but I was told that the B12 offenses were just that high-powered...hmmm, not quite that high-powered. For the Highest scoring team in the nation to be shutdown to 14 points, its got to say something.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I hope that the Texas Senator and Utah Attorney General succeed in dismantling the sham that is the BCS National Champion. If they want to change the name to the BCS Champion fine but when an undefeated team isn't named National Champion after beating the team that spent more time ranked #1 in the country than anyone else, its complete BS. IMO Utah is National champion, Texas and Florida should be BCS champions.
    I agree that it is a sham even though my team is the winner of the BCS title. But I think that wasting gubment money is not right either. Changes will happen when more seasons end like this, and the fans/players/coaches all get fed up. Rankings are great for discussions but no one can argue a playoff system and its outcome. Right now we have what we have and thats it.
  • ScoobyScooby Posts: 7
    WOOT! Tebow is the man!
    I'm one of the few people who are against a full blown playoff system. I really do believe that the college football regualr season really is the most exciting in all of sports. HOWEVER, I am all for a plus one. Play all the normal BCS bowls and then the National Championship game is decided after that. I'm also for completely eliminating the human element, let the AP have their polls and declare their own national champion if they want to (In the pros you have the MVP sanctioned by the NFL then the AP votes their own Player of the year.). I'm also for the elimination of seedings based on conferences. It should be based solely on wins and strength of schedule. With strength of schedule being determined solely by overall wins and not by rankings.

Just my opinion.
    madurofan:
    I'm one of the few people who are against a full blown playoff system. I really do believe that the college football regualr season really is the most exciting in all of sports. HOWEVER, I am all for a plus one. Play all the normal BCS bowls and then the National Championship game is decided after that. I'm also for completely eliminating the human element, let the AP have their polls and declare their own national champion if they want to (In the pros you have the MVP sanctioned by the NFL then the AP votes their own Player of the year.). I'm also for the elimination of seedings based on conferences. It should be based solely on wins and strength of schedule. With strength of schedule being determined solely by overall wins and not by rankings.

Just my opinion.
    I can live with this...what I can't abide is freaking state or federal attorney generals getting involved. I can't think of something more ridiculous in all the world, except for maybe Arlen sticking his nose in Spygate. WTF? You don't have anything better to do? Seriously? It's pandering and grandstanding at its worst.
    Luko:
    madurofan:

Just my opinion.
    I can live with this...what I can't abide is freaking state or federal attorney generals getting involved. I can't think of something more ridiculous in all the world, except for maybe Arlen sticking his nose in Spygate. WTF? You don't have anything better to do? Seriously? It's pandering and grandstanding at its worst.
    Well this is a little different than Arlen tampering with Spygate. How you say? For the most part these colleges are government entities. The BCS for all intents and purposes is a government contractor that is work in cahoots with government entites to damage the financial status of other government entities.
    Good point on the gov't entities...I didn't think of it that way.

I could live that to an extent but at some point it will have its own faults, worse case scenerio...you have 3 or 4 or even 5 undefeated teams after bowl games...it is highly unlikely but you never know.

Try maybe an 8 team playoff...8 conference champions from 8 conferences...they could still play in their bowl games and you could have some of the runners-up from each conference maybe play a bowl too since there are so many bowls now.

It's a true playoff, no polls or computers involved. And it could still be done in about the same amount of time as they are using now. None of this 'well they haven't played a game in 7-8 weeks, thats why they lost', they forgot how to play in that time...whatever, BS.
    See the problem with a playoff is that it will turn into college basketball. Do you know anyone that watches regualr season college basketball?
    madurofan:
    See the problem with a playoff is that it will turn into college basketball. Do you know anyone that watches regualr season college basketball?
    raises hand. Man, I watch college bball all the time, love the conference tournaments. Sure March Madness is the best and if I had to pick, I'd choose that. Anyways, that colleges = government bodies doesn't float. I'm not arguing that you're wrong, but them investigating it from an antitrust stance is a bunch of mularkey. It's not ever, ever going anywhere. They're looking for some headlines and some votes. Why don't they just worry about the mircrosofts if they're gonna talk about that crap.
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    raises hand. Man, I watch college bball all the time, love the conference tournaments. Sure March Madness is the best and if I had to pick, I'd choose that. Anyways, that colleges = government bodies doesn't float. I'm not arguing that you're wrong, but them investigating it from an antitrust stance is a bunch of mularkey. It's not ever, ever going anywhere. They're looking for some headlines and some votes. Why don't they just worry about the mircrosofts if they're gonna talk about that crap.
    I'm not saying it isn't just for show but what I am saying is that unlike the NFL situation(spygate) where no laws were broken and the NFL is a private company, this involves the government and government money.
    madurofan:
    Less games, shorter season.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:

Just my opinion.
    I could get behind a plus-one system. The problem I see with your s-o-s idea, though, is it encourages teams to schedule more cupcakes for their non-conference games. Teams that win their conference but are in very weak conferences are still cupcakes, but they're gonna run up a nice win total.

Generally, though, I see no way of eliminating the controversy from the national championship. Even if they go to a full playoff system, they're just pushing the controversy back one step. Instead of being directly about who the nat'l champ is, the controversy will be about who didn't get into the playoffs, just like in college basketball.

Oh, and on your distinction between the BCS and the NFL, maddy, I would say the BCS is no more a government entity than the NFL is. The NFL's monopoly (and therefore its very existence, as we know it) is a product of federal legislation.
    I would add that not all schools are state schools.
  • StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    madurofan:

I do and actually feel college basketball is the best sport in the US currently
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Stoogee:
    madurofan:

I do and actually feel college basketball is the best sport in the US currently
    I don't know about the best, but I love to watch NCAA Basketball. And I must say, that when I watch a team get through the big dance, I feel like they are deserving of a championship.
    I don't watch much basketball but if I do it is college. Usually just the playoffs, especially with UF doing well over the last few years. I can't say that it's the best sport in the country but I can agree that college sports in general are better than the pros. I can't stand NBA...to many punks and thugs..the NFL is getting to be the same way too.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Back on the BCS:

Before the BCS, teams were playing 11 game schedules, and there were almost no conference championship games. The last bowl games of the season took place on January 1st. The separate polls crowned separate champions, and everybody argued that there had to be a better way. However, calls for a playoff were rejected because it would extend the season, and it was unacceptable to play more than an 11-game schedule and then a bowl game, and students couldn't be expected to continue playing football beyond January 1st.

Since that time, teams were allowed to add a 12th game to the schedule, but could only do so every other year (and now, they play 12 games each year). All eligible conferences (12+ teams) are now holding a conference championship game. The last bowl of the season was held on January 8th. There are complaints that the long time that elapses between the end of the season and the bowl is bad for the players and for the quality of the games.

Now, it is possible for a team to play 14 gamse (12 game schedule, conference championship, and bowl game). This is 2 more games than the previous maximum when schedules "couldn't be expanded any further." Also, the bowl season has been extended a week beyond its traditional last day.

Now, the BCS is tossing around the idea of a "plus one" final championship game. This means that 2 teams will play a 15-game schedule.

So, arguments against an 8-team playoff are baseless. Cut the schedule back to 11 games, and you immediately buy yourself a game. Under an 8-team playoff, all but 2 teams will play the exact same number of games (14) as they do under the current system. These last 2 teams will play one extra game, giving them a total of 15 (the same as they would play under the "plus one" system).

My system works as follows:

After the 11-game schedule, and conference championship games, you put togetehr the playoffs like this:
    1. Any team which has not yet suffered a loss is automatically included in the playoff.
    2. Conference champions from the 6 BCS conferences receive an automatic birth, in the order of their final BCS ranking (if there are 3 or more undefeated non-BCS teams, you'd have to trim the likes of Virginia Tech and Cincinnati this year... I think we could all live with that).
    3. Any remaining spots in the 8-team playoff are filled based on the final BCS rankings.

Seedings for this playoff are also based on the BCS rankings.

This playoff gets the championship out of the hands of voters and under the control of the teams, where it belongs. If you don't get into the playoff, and you think you received an unfair BCS ranking, you still have no valid complaints. Any team that has suffered a loss has not done everything within its control to make the playoff, and therefore has no case for being "snubbed" by not being included. If you want in, win all your games. If you lose a game, you take what you get. Just like the playoffs.

Now, if you want the argument for why Utah is better than all of this year's BCS teams, and therefore the best team in the nation, all you have to do is apply basic transitive relationship:

Utah beat Alabama beat Mississippi beat Florida beat Oklahoma
    Utah beat Alabama beat Mississippi beat Texas Tech beat Texas beat Ohio St Utah beat Oregon St beat USC beat Penn St Utah beat Alabama beat Clemson beat Boston College beat Virginia Tech beat Cincinnati

Are there any other teams for which this can be done? (let me save you some time. Nobody beat Utah, so the answer is "no").

The problem with polls is that they measure "talent" instead of "team." Football is a team game, and the "champion" shouldn't simply be the team with the best players, but the team which can go out against a given opponent, put together a plan, and execute that plan to a level that results in victory. No team did that with more success this year than Utah.
    Great Post duty. Thanks for the analysis of why Utah is the best.
    I followed till the transitive relationship stuff. We need a playoff period. But for now my Gators are #1.