Home Cigar 101
Options

Beetle question, hatch time?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
During these hot summer months I segregate my new purchases in a 20ct humidor for a few days before inspecting them and putting them in the big (for me) 100ct humidor. What I'm wondering is; How long does it take the little monsters to hatch out after reaching the appropriate temperature? If I'm moving cigars to the larger humidor in 5 days or so, am I giving enough time? Thanks to those who respond.
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I'd also love to know the answer to this.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    approximately six to ten days after the temperature (73-75) triggers their birth.
    for the next 5-10 weeks they live off of your cigars.
    entire life cycle 10-14 weeks with the adult stage lasting only a month or so.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, looks like they'll be spending a little extra time in quarantine.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    U could also put them in a vacume, this will also destroy the eggs.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    U could also put them in a vacume, this will also destroy the eggs.
    how does putting them inside my Oreck have any effect?

• Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Does freezing the cigars after you receive them permanently destroy the eggs?
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Knoxca1:
    Does freezing the cigars after you receive them permanently destroy the eggs?
    Yes or so I've been told.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Freezing does work just dont over-do it. It would damage the cigar and the oils.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky