Home Cigar 101

Over humidified humidor...

Alright, I used the search and couldn't really come up with anything. I recently moved into my brothers house and my humidor will not go below 90% humidity. I've left the box open for about 3 days now and it won't even drop a hair. I talked to my brother about this, cause he has a good amount of Cohibas and Macanudos, and he said the humidity in the house will never allow it to get below a certain point. Is there any household way to soak up the extra humidity in my humidor? I would just get some beads from Heartfelt but I'm still in between jobs and don't have any $$$ to spare.

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    what kind of hydrometer are you using? Could be your hydrometer, when was the last time you calibrated it?

"Long ashes my friends."

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    You could buy a dehumidifier and put it in the room with the humi.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Krieg:
    what kind of hydrometer are you using? Could be your hydrometer, when was the last time you calibrated it?
    Just the el cheapo one that came with my equally el cheapo Thompson humi. I calibrated it before I installed it, which was about 3 weeks ago. It was over 100%, but now that it's down to 90% it won't budge.
    urbino:
    You could buy a dehumidifier and put it in the room with the humi.
    That'd be nice, but I'm broke. I'm looking for a way to use something that would be laying around the house, like putting a dry sponge in it or something.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    it is highly unlikely your room is 90% humidity, unless you live in the rain forest or somthing.
    "Just the el cheapo one that came with my equally el cheapo Thompson humi."
    this is your problem, the dial style hygrometers flat dont work. go to radio shack and buy a digital hygrometer/thermometer. I made exactly the same mistake you made when I first started with cigars, I left my humi open for days hoping the humidity would drop. when I got a digital hygro, some how the humidity in the box was lower than the humidity in the room it was in, lol.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    if some how your room really is 90% humidity, look for beads from heartfelt industries. they advertise that they will absorbe moisture from the air when it is over the rating of the beads.
    jihiggs:

"Just the el cheapo one that came with my equally el cheapo Thompson humi."
    this is your problem, the dial style hygrometers flat dont work.
    I had my suspicions...guess I'll shoot over to Radioshack tomorrow and see what they've got.
    No luck at Radioshack, which is about the only place I could hope to find a hygro up here. What about one these: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DHYG_ROUND
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    same thing as this.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HMC09

I personally do not like this style. I'd pick up a Xikar, much easier to calibrate AND its made be Xikar.
    AND cheaper, as I just looked it up. Looks like I'll be ordering one in a few days, thanks!
  • I've never tried this in my humi, but you might try uncooked rice or salt crackers to absorb excess moisture. You might notice in high humidity locations that restaurants put uncooked rice in their salt shakers. As I said, I've never actually done this, and I have no idea what the physical parameters of uncooked rice might be., i.e., how much moisture they will absorb and at what temperatures. But I think this is what I'd do if I was trying to lower the humidity in my humi and the RH outside of the humi was higher than my target.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Marcos El Malo:
    I've never tried this in my humi, but you might try uncooked rice or salt crackers to absorb excess moisture. You might notice in high humidity locations that restaurants put uncooked rice in their salt shakers. As I said, I've never actually done this, and I have no idea what the physical parameters of uncooked rice might be., i.e., how much moisture they will absorb and at what temperatures. But I think this is what I'd do if I was trying to lower the humidity in my humi and the RH outside of the humi was higher than my target.

Holy Crap i totally forgot about that!! First off, Welcome to the Forum Marcos!! There are a tone of great people here and it's great to see more californians(maybe the so-cal Herf will become a reality one of these days) Second: When i took my humidor on the ship and we went to the gulf...which is retardedly humid over there, i saw a guy who had a small bowl of rice in his humi. He said it worked great but you have to monitor it every so often. After about a week or so of adding and tweaking you can get the humidty you want. You have to change the rice out every so often but its better than your sticks sweltering in 90%+ humidity. He also dialed back the amount of humidification device in there from a 2 oz jar of crystals to a drymistat tube. Plus you can get free rice from the ship :)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Bad Marcos, Nice first post !! Welcome to the group.. That is something that should work well. Most new guys come with questions, you come with answers !
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome marcos