Home Cigar 101

Thermoelectric refrigerator temperature question.

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
I purchased A 1.7 cubic foot thermoelectric refrigerator today at Walmart. Yes I do shop at Walmart. The lowest setting on it keeps the temperature at 50 degrees. Is this to cold for cigars? Also where can I purchase humidity beads and at what price?

Comments

• grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Heartfelt industries for the beads. As for the temp, it sounds a bit low. I would think in the 65 to 70 degree range.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest no higher than 70. Beetles move around looking for mates above that temp.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Google "conservagel beads". Same thing as heartfelt, half the price. Once you get beads, fight the temptation to douse them with water. You'll end up over-charging them.
  • i have a haier 8 bottle fridge...it stays at 64-66....and what i use for humidity is: kitty litter, the crystal kind...it holds the humidity at 68%..havent had to touch it with distilled water in over a month......go to petsmart, in the fish section and get the white filter media bag( aqua pure..) ....theyhave 2 sizes.....one for .89 and one for .99....i have 2 big ones filles with the crystal kittylitter......on the bottom of hte fridge....... hope this helps you bro..... i have used the beads for awhile, they work real well....but i found myself srpaying d.w. on them often....try the kittylitter crystal..... good luck btw...the temp is def low...try to get it above 63...and lower than 70...
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I have a thermoelectric wine fridge also. The highest setting 66. Not sure why you would use your lowest setting. Try to warm it up a bit to help age the cigars. I keep my temp at 66 and it works perfectly.

For humidity: I went with the 65% conservagel beads. The 1/2 lb bag would be plenty for your set up. Good price and works great. But do not charge them before placing in fridge. They come charged and are ready to go! I over charged mine and it took a week to correct! But now that its all leveled out...it works beautifully! I built 3 Spanish Cedar trays that holds about 160 cigars total and its all set. The rH balanced out about 66-67%.

I couldn't be happier with my winedor! I think they are a great investment...just wish i would have bought a much larger one!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    I have a thermoelectric wine fridge also. The highest setting 66. Not sure why you would use your lowest setting. Try to warm it up a bit to help age the cigars. I keep my temp at 66 and it works perfectly.

For humidity: I went with the 65% conservagel beads. The 1/2 lb bag would be plenty for your set up. Good price and works great. But do not charge them before placing in fridge. They come charged and are ready to go! I over charged mine and it took a week to correct! But now that its all leveled out...it works beautifully! I built 3 Spanish Cedar trays that holds about 160 cigars total and its all set. The rH balanced out about 66-67%.

I couldn't be happier with my winedor! I think they are a great investment...just wish i would have bought a much larger one!

The lowest setting is the warmest on this unit. I might have to buy A wine cooler to get the right temperatures. Any suggestions on brands? What about pricing? I don't want to make another mistake on A major purchase again.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Know that unless you spend a few thousand dollars on a Eurocave or something like that, your thermoelectric has a good chance of dying within 2 yrs - for whatever reason, the thermoelectric motors just don't last that long. That said, I like my 28-bottle Wine Enthusiast fridge (around $300 or so)
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    In our lovely deployed environment, my room gets to 90+ degrees during the day time so I keep all of my cigars in a mini fridge that, at the warmest setting, holds right around 50 degrees. I don't like it that they are that cold but I have been doing this for several months now and haven't had any problems.

JDE