Home Ratings & Reviews

Carter Mountain reviews

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
The reviews here on this post represent my personal experience when I smoked each cigar. I won't be reviewing top of the line cigars or hard to find ones for that matter. What I'm trying to do is to help less experienced smokers know what to expect from cigars that might be in they're price range. When I started smoking I made the biggest mistake A beginner can make, I bought every cigar that had A good price without sampling the line first. Needless to say I ended up smoking A couple of hundred nasty cigars. I try to take into account every aspect of the cigar, including the band. If I can save someone else from making the same mistakes I made my time writing this post will have been well spent.

Comments

• RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Gurkha Empire IV .
    Burn time: 55 minutes.
    Overall personal score: 91.
    Great artwork on the band.

A finely crafted cigar, near seamless and heavy in hand. A great prelight draw. Lit easily. Started with A strong cedar and leather taste with a noticeable pepper on the retro-hale. After the first third A stronger leather and light cocoa seemed to become the dominant flavor. A couple of touch-ups were needed at this point, then the burn improved dramatically with A razor sharp burn line at the halfway point. The ash held for two inches with A light grey color. It picked up flavor and strength as the burn progressed. By the final third A burnt oak flavor became apparent with A light coffee on the finish. For the entire burn the smoke remained cool and smooth. I will definitely have to try the entire Empire line based on this experience.
    Romeo Y Julieta 1875 Bully.
    Burn time: 45 minutes.
    Overall personal score 92.
    Simple but nice looking band.

A near perfect presentation on this cigar. Good weight in my hand. Flawless wrapper with A slight toothiness. Good draw with with A stale grass taste. When lit I was met with A little spice and pepper. After burning for A few minutes A light earthiness seemed to take over and held its own until the finish which brought back the light pepper and rich tobacco taste. I would place this cigar in the mild to medium strength and flavor category. It left A slight dryness on the palate. Overall this was A smooth and relaxing smoke. A great cigar to start your day with.
    Nub Maduro 3x58.
    Burn time 50 minutes:
    Overall personal score. 93
    Simple name only band.

A well constructed cigar. Heavy in my hand. A deep, rich and slightly earthy smell. The pre-light draw gives A sweet tobacco taste. The first thing I noticed upon lighting was A slight spice and coffee taste. A few puffs in A toasty caramel with coffee developed and continued to build as the burn progressed. A slight oiliness was noticed on the palate.The flavor intensified somewhat but never becoming to strong to enjoy. Throughout the burn the smoke remained smooth and creamy. The ash was strong and held well with A mottled grey color. Overall this was A great experience.
    Cuba Libre Epicure.
    Overall personal score: 96
    Nice band.

A fine looking cigar with no visible flaws. The boxed press is perfect and it has definite weight in my hand. The prelight draw is effortless and has A taste of earthy sweetness. Upon lighting I am met with thick clouds of smoke. The first thing I taste is pepper and spice with A light sweetness. As the burn progresses A light nuttiness as well as a deep, rich tobacco flavor begins to grow. Hints of caramel and liquorish comes and goes. All the while huge clouds of thick smoke continue while A dark, dense ash slowly develops. The finish is long and pleasant with the flavor and strength increasing to A strong medium experience. The burn was almost perfect with only two touchups required. This is the first cigar of which I made A box purchase.
    Nica Libre 1990.
    Burn time: One hour.
    Overall personal score: 90.
    A simple butt nice band.

A dark brown cigar with A few medium veins. Good weight in the hand. A nice double cap that held perfectly. Before lighting it smelled of dark chocolate and damp earth. After lighting the first taste noticed were mild cedar with A lite spiciness. By the second third A nuttiness became apparent. Roasted cashews? A hint of coffee and A chewy leather from time to time. There was A light oiliness on the palate by the halfway point. Then A long finish with the flavor profile becoming more pronounced without being overpowering ended A long and pleasant smoke. I'll definitely be buying A box of these because I think with A little extra ageing it will greatly benefit this cigar. Over all I had A great experience with this one.
    Rocky Patel The Edge Toro.
    Burn time: 65 minutes.
    Overall personal score: 94
    A simple band on the foot of the cigar.

A perfect presentation. Seamless wrapper, no visible veins and well capped. A strong tobacco and barnyard smell. Nice prelight draw with A flavor of fresh hay. After lighting I was met with cedar, spice and red pepper on the exhale. Plenty of blueish smoke complemented this cigar. A fine nutty aroma. As the burn progressed A dark grey, slightly flaky ash slowly developed. Strong coffee notes from time to time. I would place this cigar in the medium strength category. The only drawback to this cigar was A few touchups were needed. Overall one of Rocky's best in my humble opinion
    Rocky Patel 1961 robusto.
    Burn time: 50 minutes.
    Overall personal score: 88.
    Great artwork on the bands.

A nice looking cigar with A perfect wrapper. A nice earthy smell. Good prelite draw with A punch. The first taste I noticed was A spicy black pepper with A earthy character. A light oiliness coats the palate. Some sweetness become apparent after A while. Moderate spices and pepper seem to dominate the first half of the cigar then A mellow semi-sweet cedar finishes A fine smoking experience. A near perfect burn further enhances this cigar. I consider this A medium cigar with almost A full flavor profile. Another great Rocky Patel to ad to A list of the finer cigars.
    Black Pearl robusto.
    Overall personal score: 87.
    Fine artwork on the band.

Dark brown and oily looking. Good weight in the hand. A smell of fresh hay and stale tobacco. Perfect draw with A punch. Prelight draw consist of hay and earth. After lighting I am met with A spicy pepper and woody character. Hints of leather and cedar are apparent throughout the smoke. A somewhat flaky grey ash slowly develops. A toasty essence in the aroma complements this cigar. The only drawback was A few touch up lites were needed. Overall A good cigar.
    Patel Brothers torpedo.
    Burn time: 1 hour 15 minutes.
    Well designed band.

A well crafted cigar, dark brown and oily. A smell of dark earth and rich tobacco. After cutting A quarter inch it had A perfect draw. After lighting A strong spice was the first flavor noted with black pepper on the retro-hale. Cedar and oak quickly became the dominate flavors. A ton of blueish smoke with A burnt toast aroma made this cigar even more enjoyable. This cigar was definitely in the full flavor and strength category. A tingle on the palate with A light dryness finished A great smoke.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Patel Brothers torpedo.
    Well designed band.

A well crafted cigar, dark brown and oily. A smell of dark earth and rich tobacco. After cutting A quarter inch it had A perfect draw. After lighting A strong spice was the first flavor noted with black pepper on the retro-hale. Cedar and oak quickly became the dominate flavors. A ton of blueish smoke with A burnt toast aroma made this cigar even more enjoyable. This cigar was definitely in the full flavor and strength category. A tingle on the palate with A light dryness finished A great smoke.
    I picked up one of those earlier, but decided on the Padilla Golden Bear instead.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    dbeckom:
    RBeckom:
    Patel Brothers torpedo.
    Well designed band.

I picked up one of those earlier, but decided on the Padilla Golden Bear instead.

Give it A try, you'll like it. It's worth A in-depth review.