Home Cigar 101

School Me on Everything Cigars

Just looking at the Padrons for sale right now. Habano. Maduro. 4000, 5000, Ambassador, Churchill. 6.54 X 54, 6.9 X 46. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? ARGH.

Comments

• Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Well I reference the following thread. http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/25762.aspx There, kuzi answers what you are asking about the Habano/Maduro. When I think maduro I usually think sweet and smooth. The last part of your post is with regards to size. Take the 6.54X54 for example. The first number is the length of a cigar. The second number is the guage/ring of a cigar ie how fat it is. The smaller the number the thinner the cigar.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ha ha... school you on everything.... thats funny.

read every thread on this forum and you will know about 20% of what the cigar world has to offer.

• this forum is the simply the best, search and you can find alot of useful things, tips. the review section is real good enjy brotha welcome
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Buy it. Smoke it. Enjoy it.

That's everything you need to know. The rest is just a bonus.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    skweekz:
    Buy it. Smoke it. Enjoy it.

That's everything you need to know. The rest is just a bonus.
    +1
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    you could be here for days reading!! Just stick around and also dig through the newsletters. Good reads and lots of interesting stuff.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    millennium115:
    this forum is the simply the best, search and you can find alot of useful things, tips. the review section is real good enjy brotha welcome
    +1, everyone is very helpful as well.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    CLICK ON THIS LINK AND READ IT ALL. A great list that everyone should read when they come to the hobby, and will save you several "OH ****!" moments.

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    buldogs01:
    Just looking at the Padrons for sale right now. Habano. Maduro. 4000, 5000, Ambassador, Churchill. 6.54 X 54, 6.9 X 46. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? ARGH.
    Let's break this down by question.

1)Habano. Maduro. Those are types of wrappers, which is the outermost leaf of the cigar and provides more than half of the flavor (depending on wrapper to filler ratio). In general Maduro wrappers are going to taste a bit sweeter, because they undergo a more extensive curing process that brings out more sugars from the tobacco.

2) 4000, 5000. Those are blends under the Padron brand. They'll have different tobacco in them and will probably taste very different to you. Or not. But you need to find out yourself.

3) Ambassador, Churchill. Those are vitolas within the 4000 and 5000 blends. Different shapes and sizes of (roughly) the same blend. Many blenders alter the blends slightly to account for different vitolas. They might taste different to you. At first, maybe not. Again, find out for yourself.

4) The numbers. Those are actual measurements of the vitolas of the cigars listed. The first number (6.54 or 6.9) is the length of the cigar, in inches. The second number, (54 or 46) is the circumference of the cigar, in centimeters (I know, inches and centimeters together, it's either evil or some wonderful metric and arabic harmony...anyway...), which is also called the "ring guage." In general, larger ring guages can be smoked faster without getting hot and bitter, and will have less concentrated flavor. Smaller guages, well, the opposite is true. Again (see a theme going here?), personal preference, and you'll have to find out for yourself what you like.

Now, Kuzi, tell him everything I said wrong. I know I had to have screwed up something in there...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    And one more thing. I told you what the words mean, to some extent. But here's what the fact that there are so many words means:

This is a life-long and very fulfilling hobby that will never get old, never get stale, and never leave you feeling like you know everything. Enjoy, and welcome to the club.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I back the Kuzi School of Cigarducation.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I have been smoking cigars for years, and I still learn something new everyday.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    buldogs01:

1)Habano. Maduro. Those are types of wrappers, which is the outermost leaf of the cigar and provides more than half of the flavor (depending on wrapper to filler ratio). In general Maduro wrappers are going to taste a bit sweeter, because they undergo a more extensive curing process that brings out more sugars from the tobacco.

2) 4000, 5000. Those are blends under the Padron brand. They'll have different tobacco in them and will probably taste very different to you. Or not. But you need to find out yourself.

3) Ambassador, Churchill. Those are vitolas within the 4000 and 5000 blends. Different shapes and sizes of (roughly) the same blend. Many blenders alter the blends slightly to account for different vitolas. They might taste different to you. At first, maybe not. Again, find out for yourself.

4) The numbers. Those are actual measurements of the vitolas of the cigars listed. The first number (6.54 or 6.9) is the length of the cigar, in inches. The second number, (54 or 46) is the circumference of the cigar, in centimeters (I know, inches and centimeters together, it's either evil or some wonderful metric and arabic harmony...anyway...), which is also called the "ring guage." In general, larger ring guages can be smoked faster without getting hot and bitter, and will have less concentrated flavor. Smaller guages, well, the opposite is true. Again (see a theme going here?), personal preference, and you'll have to find out for yourself what you like.

Now, Kuzi, tell him everything I said wrong. I know I had to have screwed up something in there...
    the only minor detail is that the ring gauge is not the circumference in centimeters, it is the diameter in 64ths of an inch. so a cigar with a ring of 64 will measure one inch at the foot and a cigar with a ring of 50 will be 25/32nds of an inch at the foot.

im not sure if pardron actually changes the tobacco in their cigars in their original lineup (thousand series) but the ring and wrapper ratio and how the filler interacts within them is very different so they do have a very different tastes. the anniversary series are different from the original and different from themselves (26 vs 64).
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    buldogs01:

the only minor detail is that the ring gauge is not the circumference in centimeters, it is the diameter in 64ths of an inch. so a cigar with a ring of 64 will measure one inch at the foot and a cigar with a ring of 50 will be 25/32nds of an inch at the foot.

im not sure if pardron actually changes the tobacco in their cigars in their original lineup (thousand series) but the ring and wrapper ratio and how the filler interacts within them is very different so they do have a very different tastes. the anniversary series are different from the original and different from themselves (26 vs 64).
    I'd say that's a solid B- then. I really thought the gauge was in centimeters, I guess I figured it was the only measure that made sense. Who counts in 64ths? lol
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

read every thread on this forum and you will know about 20% of what the cigar world has to offer.

I did want to point out, that's not a bad percentage.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Smoke em till your green. By then you will have learned the proper way.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    buldogs01:

I'd say that's a solid B- then. I really thought the gauge was in centimeters, I guess I figured it was the only measure that made sense. Who counts in 64ths? lol
    I think you were thinking millimeters possibly. If it was a 64 centimeter circumference, I would almost have the circumference of a backetball. 2.54 centimeters per inch.

Good think Kuzi clarified.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Definitely definitely check out kuzi's threads. Fantastic information there and lots of it.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Great informative answer.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Cigars are Cylindical
    Some taste bad
    Some taste bad to YOU, but not others
    They need moisture and temp control
    Cut them first
    Don't let your woman bltch to you about them
    Smoke them by lighting them on fire
    Don't give out GOOD sticks to family members or friends who have only smoked Black-n-milds
    Buy them from Cigar.com...

That about does it
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Lasabar:
    Cigars are Cylindical
    Some taste bad
    Cut them first
    Don't give out GOOD sticks to family members or friends who have only smoked Black-n-milds

That about does it
    Lol, right on Lassie. Especially with handing out the good sticks.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Cigars are Cylindical
    Some taste bad
    Cut them first

That about does it
    Yeah..who handed out PSD #4s last year and found them all over the yard with only about an inch smoked. I lost sleep when I read that one.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Lasabar:
    Cigars are Cylindical
    Some taste bad
    Cut them first

That about does it
    Yeah..who handed out PSD #4s last year and found them all over the yard with only about an inch smoked. I lost sleep when I read that one.
    I've tried to curb this habit... The last time I got a buddy over who didn't smoke and we were pulling from the bottle of Fiddich I busted out the Casa Magna Colorado Robustos' with a couple years on 'em.... At least THAT time it was only a $6 cigar.... but still, prolly shoulda grabbed the Padilla Obsidian's instead
  • The Sniper:
    CLICK ON THIS LINK AND READ IT ALL. A great list that everyone should read when they come to the hobby, and will save you several "OH ****!" moments.

Great Read, it answered the two questions I had as to whether or not to remove the cellophane wrapper that each cigar comes in to store in the humidor.  I was also curious as to whether or not I could use a butane lighter if it would foul up the taste.

As to Judochin's post, looks like I'll be going to wallyworld to pick up a butane lighter, I won't be lighting cigars anymore with a match as I drive down the road on long drives, man that was difficult.
    Lakota72:
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    buldogs01:

I think you were thinking millimeters possibly. If it was a 64 centimeter circumference, I would almost have the circumference of a backetball. 2.54 centimeters per inch.

Good think Kuzi clarified.
    Hahaha, I just saw this, nice catch. Yeah, I definitely meant millimeters. I do that in my lab sometimes too...milliliters and microliters look a lot different than they sound, lol
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Lasabar:
    Cigars are Cylindical
    Some taste bad
    Cut them first

That about does it
    +1

alienmisprint:
    kuzi16:

I did want to point out, that's not a bad percentage.
    That percentage only applies when you read just Kuzi's posts. There are some posts I have seen here which have sucked knowledge out of me and I've had to wait for Kuzi to come along and re-inculcate me with the smarts I lost. Those are few and far between though.